The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Registration On Fpn Manually Validated Now ....

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:36

OMG!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I've been waiting since almost February I think to be able to log back in because of the forgot password captcha not liking me.  I was going crazy thinking FPN didn't love me anymore, until I realized it wasn't just me.  LMAO.  Thank you!!!!  *breathes deeeeep sigh of relief*  I feel whole again.

Wow, I think I would shrivel up and die if I couldn't log in since February. Welcome back!!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Sponsored Content

#22 Jamo

Jamo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2018 - 17:36

This is a good idea to keep FPN as safe as possible

#23 hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl

Professional Dilettante

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Location:Sciatica, the People's Democratic Republic of Lumbago
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2018 - 16:32

Hardly a new idea. New users on the PIPORG-L list server, for example, don't get posting privileges until the List owners are reasonably convinced that they are real people, real organ geeks, and really willing to abide by List rules.

--
James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink
Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,
Blacky minky, Bottle of ink!
-- Edward Lear

#24 JayKay3000

JayKay3000

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 22:51

Proof of purchase of at least 1 fountain pen :lol:

#25 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2018 - 20:35

Bwuu ha ha ha!

#26 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 00:16

Hi Parker51,

We already do that in the registration process :).

Warm regards, Wim

Since when? I didn't see it.

And I'm not sure I'd be able to answer it if I did.

#27 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2018 - 17:32

Since when? I didn't see it.

And I'm not sure I'd be able to answer it if I did.

It has been set up like that 5 or 6 years ago.

Come to think of it, the manual validation of registrations may not show that because it stops after filling in the required account form.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#28 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2018 - 23:40

Thanks Wim and fellow administrators.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

#29 CaramelNib

CaramelNib

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:30

Wow, I think I would shrivel up and die if I couldn't log in since February. Welcome back!!

Haha, thanks!  I almost did... well, sit in a corner of my closet sucking my nib, rocking back and forth, twitching and muttering... why spambots?!?!  why??  The hubby had to lure me out with the smell of jane austen ink...

#30 NT-Ned

NT-Ned

Mint

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2018 - 23:19

I wouldn't trust anyone that only owned one fountain pen! Hahaha

#31 MyPenAndI

MyPenAndI

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:31

But it isn't always so long a time. My approval came well within 24 hours. Now, I'm legit! So, it should be easy-peasy cause I'm a good boy. (Don't listen to my parents...they don't know me like I know me. Honest!) But lookin'at a few o' them yayhoos behind me in line...well, I'd say an Ammonia wash should clean 'em up purty good. :)

Thanks for the work. Keepin' the lights on is one thing. Keepin' the lights bright is somethin' else altogether different. I appreciate it.

Writing is FUN!

Bud Fields

Follow My Writing Adventures!

#32 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2018 - 17:26

But it isn't always so long a time. My approval came well within 24 hours. Now, I'm legit! So, it should be easy-peasy cause I'm a good boy. (Don't listen to my parents...they don't know me like I know me. Honest!) But lookin'at a few o' them yayhoos behind me in line...well, I'd say an Ammonia wash should clean 'em up purty good. :)

Thanks for the work. Keepin' the lights on is one thing. Keepin' the lights bright is somethin' else altogether different. I appreciate it.

It's only a pleasure, MyPenAndi.

When at home I tend to check each day. It is a bit of work, as it is a 4+ step process depending on what we can find, with an email validation as a last step (that costs real money ;)). Outside of holidays/vacations I am away for work most of the time, often without internet access, which often means playing catch-up on Thursdays or Fridays :).

Anyway, this way we are much more successful at keeping spammers at bay, and that can only be a good thing :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#33 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2018 - 00:10

Let's not ask technical questions as there is a whole army of FPN members out on the streets giving away free fountain pens.  Recipients who try to join FPN may do so to find out more rather than because they know a lot already. 

#34 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:22

What I did to cut down on the spammers was a re-captcha, but I also have it so that the first five posts have to be approved by a moderator.  After that, it's fair game.

(edit - different forum)

Edited by Bibliophage, 25 January 2019 - 03:23.

#35 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 18:57

What I did to cut down on the spammers was a re-captcha, but I also have it so that the first five posts have to be approved by a moderator.  After that, it's fair game.

(edit - different forum)

Re-captcha is too easy for spam-bots etc. these days, and actual people who are spammers are not stopped by it either. The databases our automated system uses are not always up-to-date either, and basically 15% of registrants these days, on average, who get through to completing the registry form, actually appear to be spammers when looked at more closely.

Considering that we have only had 2 spammers get through over the 6 months that we are using manual validation (after a first check by the automated system, which does not catch those 15% remaining), that is not bad going at all, methinks. :)

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Sponsored Content

|