The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Registration On Fpn Manually Validated Now ....

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 15:59

Dearest Visitors & Members of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Because of continuing problems with spammers and spambots registering on FPN, the ineffectivity of tools like reCaptcha these days (as spambots just get too clever) and the spam database never being 100% up-to-date, we have decided to manually validate all new registrations from here onwards.

This means that validations could take up to 48 hours, as we do not necessarily always have the manpower to validate new accounts instantly. We do try our utmost to validate accounts a few times a day, but we cannot guarantee that.

Basically half of the new registrations are spammers or spambots, and they are relatively easy to pick up by a manual check prior to account validation. It actually takes less work to check new registrations than it takes to remove spammers, so we think it is a worthwhile exercise.

It just means that newly registering members require a little more patience prior to engaging in the discussions in our forums.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but having way more spam messages is probably much more inconvenient.

Please do note that even this method is not 100% foolproof, but it should get quite close.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Warmest regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Moderator and Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,084 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 16:24

Thanks Wim.  

Does this affect those of us who are already members?  Or is this just for new people?
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 17:44

Hi Ruth,

This is purely for new registrations, IOW, it does not affect existing members.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#4 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 17:51

Our pen club asks a few commonly known Fountain Pen related questions as a way of screening potential persons being added to our facebook account as friends. Perhaps you could do the same as a quick automatic screen. Example questions might be name two of the most prolific American Fountain Pen makers during the golden age, name two German Fountain men makers currently making Fountain Pens in Germany, the tipping material of a Fountain Pen is traditionally? I believe five simple questions are asked. I doubt many robots can and do get through to be reviewed.

#5 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 21:10

Our pen club asks a few commonly known Fountain Pen related questions as a way of screening potential persons being added to our facebook account as friends. Perhaps you could do the same as a quick automatic screen. Example questions might be name two of the most prolific American Fountain Pen makers during the golden age, name two German Fountain men makers currently making Fountain Pens in Germany, the tipping material of a Fountain Pen is traditionally? I believe five simple questions are asked. I doubt many robots can and do get through to be reviewed.

Hi Parker51,

We already do that in the registration process :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#6 aih

aih

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 21:23

Hi Parker51,

We already do that in the registration process :).

Warm regards, Wim

The times, so to speak.   

Just want to put in a word for the people like me who registered for the other discussions, and not really because of an interest in fountain pens.  If the "test" were to include any questions that can't be answered with Bing, Google, or DuckDuckGo, those like me would never register.

Edited by aih, 28 July 2018 - 21:23.

- Ira

#7 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:42

The times, so to speak.   

Just want to put in a word for the people like me who registered for the other discussions, and not really because of an interest in fountain pens.  If the "test" were to include any questions that can't be answered with Bing, Google, or DuckDuckGo, those like me would never register.

:)

The tests actually can be answered by anybody who is capable of reading :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#8 aih

aih

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2018 - 23:20

Yeah, I know. I'm thinking of what you might have to do in the future to stay ahead of the machines, and those like me who will be trying to register in the future. But of course it may be a short time before the machines pass any test the humans come up with.

- Ira

#9 RLR

RLR

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2018 - 15:02

Include a handwritten section that has to be scanned and included. Then penmanship even comes into play.

I’m kidding...

(Kinda)
www.RLRaymond.com

#10 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• 28,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2018 - 15:19

...and must be written with an OBB nib. *evil chortle*

#11 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 15,084 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2018 - 22:56

Wow, good thing I'm already a member then -- broadest I have are a couple of OB nibs (1950s era Pelikan 400 and a Navy Gray English-made Parker 51 Aero; and the 51 *might* only be an OM).

Oh wait -- I think I have an Estie 9314-B nib unit kicking around as well....  :thumbup: 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#12 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 23:54

Wow, good thing I'm already a member then -- broadest I have are a couple of OB nibs (1950s era Pelikan 400 and a Navy Gray English-made Parker 51 Aero; and the 51 *might* only be an OM).

Oh wait -- I think I have an Estie 9314-B nib unit kicking around as well....  :thumbup: 

Nahhhhh...not hard to pass at all. Just take a 3"x5" index card, dip it ink, and write a word. GP will be quite happy with the "nib" width. :rolleyes:

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#13 Sh.Andrews

Sh.Andrews

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2018 - 00:00

I appreciate and give a big thank you to the "manpower" that maintains this community!

#14 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• 28,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2018 - 02:15

Nahhhhh...not hard to pass at all. Just take a 3"x5" index card, dip it ink, and write a word. GP will be quite happy with the "nib" width. :rolleyes:

*Snort!* only if she holds the card at an angle.

#15 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 15,084 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2018 - 21:05

Hmm.  Maybe I should be looking into one of those folded nib pens....

#16 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:19

Make that a vintage OBB stub. :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#17 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• 28,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2018 - 13:09

Make that a vintage OBB stub. :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Even better!

#18 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2018 - 20:59

P.S.:

Addition to the validation is an email validation test. A failed email validation also means a rejection, I am afraid :).

A validation may also take more than the 48 hours I indicated earlier, basically because when I am traveling a lot for work, or when i have a bad internet connection at the hotel(s) I stay in, I may not eb able to do any validations fro 4 or 5 days I am afraid. IOW, please be patient, it will be done, just may take a little longer.

Thank you all in advance!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#19 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:35

Dearest Visitors & Members of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Because of continuing problems with spammers and spambots registering on FPN, the ineffectivity of tools like reCaptcha these days (as spambots just get too clever) and the spam database never being 100% up-to-date, we have decided to manually validate all new registrations from here onwards.

This means that validations could take up to 48 hours, as we do not necessarily always have the manpower to validate new accounts instantly. We do try our utmost to validate accounts a few times a day, but we cannot guarantee that.

Basically half of the new registrations are spammers or spambots, and they are relatively easy to pick up by a manual check prior to account validation. It actually takes less work to check new registrations than it takes to remove spammers, so we think it is a worthwhile exercise.

It just means that newly registering members require a little more patience prior to engaging in the discussions in our forums.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but having way more spam messages is probably much more inconvenient.

Please do note that even this method is not 100% foolproof, but it should get quite close.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Warmest regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Moderator and Admin Team

I want to say thanks for doing these bothersome chores, WIMG. Your efforts make FPN sustainable. Otherwise the bad guys would tear things apart.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#20 CaramelNib

CaramelNib

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:45

OMG!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I've been waiting since almost February I think to be able to log back in because of the forgot password captcha not liking me.  I was going crazy thinking FPN didn't love me anymore, until I realized it wasn't just me.  LMAO.  Thank you!!!!  *breathes deeeeep sigh of relief*  I feel whole again.

Sponsored Content

|