Help Identifying This Parker

cimmerian

Can anybody help me identify this pen? A friend of mine found out his late father had left him a couple of fountain pens and want to know more about them. This is the Parker. I'm no good with vintage models, so any help IDing it would be much appreciated.

post-124109-0-30696700-1532630394_thumb.jpg

post-124109-0-24722400-1532630401_thumb.jpg

post-124109-0-88902300-1532630408_thumb.jpg

post-124109-0-95064500-1532630414_thumb.jpg

post-124109-0-76794400-1532630421_thumb.jpg

post-124109-0-41816100-1532630427_thumb.jpg

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen lady

• bass1193

• baz666

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker Vacumatic green stripe with 14k nib made in Canada (early to mid 40's was date of production)

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Interesting that they chose to inscribe the model name into the barrel. Not a lot of pens have that, do they? Sheaffer used to inscribe the company name and location, but not the actual name of the model in question, right?

Edited by rochester21

Looks to be a Third Generation model, with the plastic plunger, due to the style of the blind cap. Can't tell the size for sure because I don't know the length, but it might be a Major because of the decoration on the cap band. I think the color is called "Emerald Pearl" (the concentric stripes are the Pearl models, which were the top tier Vacumatic colors.

You can read a lot more in the Vacumatic article on Tony Fischier's site: www.parkercollector.com. I'm not sure whether the Vac ID guide is updated to include all the nuances of the the three Generations (early models have a lockdown-style metal plunger and a very short flattened end blind cap; the Second Generation (Speedline) models have a longer blind cap and have a metal plunger without the slit and notch for the lockdown). The Third Generation models have a long, rounded end blind cap, and a plastic plunger (they were introduced during WWII, I believe, because steel and aluminum were needed for the war effort).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Would anyone like to comment about the barrel date marking of "53" and the nib being stamped "55". I know the Canadian factory did odd things, but I'd have thought by the mid-50's, Parker was done with those nibs.

Would anyone like to comment about the barrel date marking of "53" and the nib being stamped "55". I know the Canadian factory did odd things, but I'd have thought by the mid-50's, Parker was done with those nibs.

No, them good old Canadians were still at it then.

Thanks, folks! You rock.

What is the purpose of the numbering on the nib and body?

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

Hi Marco. The numbers on Parker pens and some nibs are date codes, I'd say yours is from the 3rd quarter of 1945, the nib however has me stumped! For a really good article check out Parkerpens.net and go to "date codes and other" from the left-hand menu.

Edited by pen lady

Oh, and what pen lady said? It's actually just a different link to the same site....

You want to know about Parker pens? Any of them? That's THE place to go. :thumbup:

Of course he's probably *still* laughing himself sick from a few years ago when I emailed him with some questions about my first Parker 51s, and when he answered he also said that I'd be looking at Vacs next; I said I wouldn't, because I didn't like the Art Deco look of them. Now I think I have eight of them.... :headsmack:

Oh, and even though 51s are still my absolute favorites, I've had a 1937 Red Shadow Wave Vacumatic Junior Lockdown filler in constant rotation for almost three years at this point....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Pen is from the 1950s not 1940s.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

This Parker Canada two digit date imprint on a single jewel Vacumatic is well documented as being from the 1950s. So the pen is 1953 and the nib is likely 1955.

What's the bloomy rind on the section though? It looks like it's going full Brie!

Section appears to be broken, might be glue residue?

Ah, I see what you mean. Looks like the feed in the gap between section and barrel. Good eye!

Crickey! We were doing odd stuff up here! I didn't realise the Canadian factory was still turning out Vacs into the 50's. That makes sense though, a '53 pen with a '55 nib. Learn something new every day!