More Expensive Fat-Sectioned Pens

PotatoJesus

It all depends on your pen. My Visconti Opera Club is a M and writes half way between F and M. It has no problems with small writing. Not all Visconti are over width gushers, but yours might be. Let's say yours is really wet, just adjusting it to not be so wet will make the line with thinner. My gold nib Pilot's (Vanishing point, custom 74) went from a 0.6mm M to a 0.5mm M just by changing the ink.

It costs more to regrind then to adjust the flow and smoothness. Also changing the width from M to F or what ever size in mm you want can with some nibmiesters cost more then a regrind to a stub or CI. It's interesting how going from a round nib to a stub/Ci can make a wide nib seem narrower on the page. Using a CI does slow down my writing a little. It makes me take more care in forming the cursive letters since they can look so nice with the built in line variation.

The last thing to think about. Having a pen custom ground can affect its value up or down. In a year you might want to sell the pen to get a even higher end pen or just something different. The nice thing is they can make a pen write best for you, the bad thing is it writes best for you and may not for someone else. Pick who does the work wisely. Expect at least a 4-6 week turnaround on nib work. If you went to something like the DC Pen show they could do it while you wait and let you test as they go to make it perfect for you.

That is kinda reassuring i have two different black inks Pilot Black and Noodlers X feather, so hopefully one of them will be a good fit.

That is true, regrinding the nib can affect the value, but I dont really buy the pens I use thinking about resale value, I just think about how it would be most comfortable for use. I have someone in mind for the nib work, though I dont think anyone too well known, he made a post for custom grinds on pen_swap and after messaging him to see if he would take my Montblanc it was a surprise to see that we were in the same town! His work was really good, though he was a university student so I will have to message him to see if he is still in town.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotatoJesus

• Honeybadgers

• Lam1

• Driften

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know about standard pilot inks, but Pilot Iroshizuku are wet inks and going from Iroshizuku to Montblanc or Robert Oster inks changed the width on my Pilot gold nib M's. But the M's and B's from Pilot run wetter then the finer nibs. In a dry pen you would need Iroshizuku or other wet inks. It also helped a Sailor Realo with a Zoom nib to go from too wide to just right for me. If your Visconti is too wet maybe buy a $13 bottle of Pelikan 4001 ink which are normally a dry ink. It's cheeper then adjusting or grinding a nib. Note: Pelikan Edelstein inks are not as dry.

I don't know about Noodlers X feather, but that brand can be all across the board for being wet or dry. It all depends on which Noodlers ink.

I know when I buy pens I buy them for me to use, but my tastes change in nibs and brands I have sold pens to fund others. For years I liked Western F and Japanese FM/MF. Now I like nibs between Western M to B. I sold off almost all of my F nib pens. Some of my wider nibs I plan on having reground to CI's.

Let me agree with the folks that recommended the 149 and M1000 they can both be purchased used within your budget. Newton Pens put a new Binde on my M1000 and he has a wide range of materials that he provides that you can choose from.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

So my Visconti came in today and it feels comfortable enough when I have my fingers resting on the threads and the brass band. The medium seems to write around the same as my ground down Montblanc so that's great. However there seems to be some tarnishing on the area in between the the finial and the clip that I cannot get at, there was also a lot of tarnishing where the clip meets the body but i was able to rub that away with the included cloth. Is there any way to clean this up?

post-135480-0-30673100-1533136419_thumb.jpg

post-135480-0-10590500-1533136426_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I think the top bronze piece at the top of the cap is removable with a magnet. That would make it easy to polish..

not sure about the trim.

Also interesting fact for you, is that you can clean the black surface too.. Just apply a little handcream (Cheap stuff will do) on a soft cloth and polish.

You should be able to get back a nice matt black without the white spots/dots. Dante del vecchio himself reccomended this.

Enjoy your HS. I just got my second one, and both write like a dream right out of the box.

Read that somewhere that Visconti has been working hard on their QC, and believe it has gotten much better lately.

I think the top bronze piece at the top of the cap is removable with a magnet. That would make it easy to polish..

not sure about the trim.

Also interesting fact for you, is that you can clean the black surface too.. Just apply a little handcream (Cheap stuff will do) on a soft cloth and polish.

You should be able to get back a nice matt black without the white spots/dots. Dante del vecchio himself reccomended this.

Enjoy your HS. I just got my second one, and both write like a dream right out of the box.

Read that somewhere that Visconti has been working hard on their QC, and believe it has gotten much better lately.

Honestly I am surprised by how much I like the HS, it has become my daily driver and I love everything about it (though a good fill without needing the inkwell would be nice), even the clip I originally thought was hideous has grown on me, I would buy the pen again in a heartbeat. I know that the company has had its share of QC issues but after getting in touch with their customer service team about an issue I had with their inkwell, I do have a good amount of faith that they actually would put the effort in so that you're happy with a working product rather than saying you're s.o.l

CONID and Edison

Honestly have considered CONID but after a certain price no matter how cool the filling mechanism is I really do expect the pen to come with a gold nib (or a nib at all) at no extra cost. Their cheapest pen the Minimalistica costing over 300 USD W/O a nib seems a little silly to me but I'm not trying to hate on the brand (although it may seem otherwise :rolleyes:)

:yikes:If your Visconti is too wet maybe buy a $13 bottle of Pelikan 4001 ink which are normally a dry ink. :wacko: :gaah: :wallbash:

E4.60 :bunny01: at a German B&M.... Edelstein at E16.50...13.70 on Amazon. 4001 actually costs more on Amazon than at a B&M.

It's sad actually, how inflation is really eating at America.............it is no wonder folks pay so much for pens, buy now, or pay lots more later.....basic inflation philosophy.

Hell now I know why so many US members buy Japanese inks....if they are paying $13 for 4001. At E19 MB shoe ink has priced it's self out of my range.....

It's been 10 years since I was last back....cloths was dirt cheap, compared to Germany a Wrangler shirt for $17 vs E70 in Germany. (Came with an empty suitcase, bought a new one too.) But the price of food was a shock, it was German level or higher, often quite a bit higher.............and that was a decade ago.

Gas is dirt cheap in the US....but has to be, to keep people working.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Yeah it seems like I am leaning towards 149 and M1000 which although a pricey realization leaves me still looking for 1 other pen to stay fully loaded (1 black, 1 blue and 1 fun color)

You said you preferred your M800 to your MB 146 because of the width at the section (it mirrors my feelings too) but then, be aware that the MB 149 is significantly fatter at the section.

A pen I'm considering about that size is a Parker Doufold Centennial. Maybe you should have a look at them.

Then there are the vintage models... there are wonderful examples and I tend to prefer those carrying a #6 nib, more or less... i.e.: Waterman's Hundred Year, basically anything German ending in 6... but they usually a bit too short for my tastes. YMMV.

Kinda old thread, so not sure if you are still looking, but a fat section is the GvFC Elemento Platino Ebony for example, used well within your price range.

I've much preferred fat section pens and started a thread some months ago, which had no price constraints. Here some that I love:

Bexlex Prometheus

Delta Dolcevita

Montblanc 149

Sounds like OP is happy with the HS, but should others come upon this thread, I'll second a couple previous nominees -- the Delta Dolcevita (or any Stantuffo variant) is my favorite wide section pen (I have ten of them), with the Sailor KOP Pro Gear my favorite that is currently in production.

Sounds like OP is happy with the HS, but should others come upon this thread, I'll second a couple previous nominees -- the Delta Dolcevita (or any Stantuffo variant) is my favorite wide section pen (I have ten of them), with the Sailor KOP Pro Gear my favorite that is currently in production.

The dolcevita's are so damn expensive though...

• 2 years later...

Lamy Accent

Section diameter (max/min) = 12.3/11.5 mm. Wide choice of nibs. Converter included. Interchangeable grip sections. Weight = 25 g

😊