Aditkamath26

Hi people. The Pelikan Hub us nearing now. I literally registered one day before the deadline, that too by emailing Pelikan rather than the website, since that wouldn't even open for me. This year is pretty special since its the 5th Anniversary of the Pelikan Hubs and some other grand event as well for Pelikan that can't remember now. What do you think we will be getting this year? A bottle of Edeldtein Olivine is a sure thing. My Smoky Quartz from last year is an ink I love and treasure, so I use it rationally.

So what's the point of this post? Nothing much. Just telling how much I love the Pelikan Hub. Last year, the Abu Dhabi Hub was amazing. One gentleman had a huge nice flock of M800s while I was sitting with an uninked Pelikan Twist. It's a great place for teenagers like me where I could discuss pens and ink and writing without getting looks that mean 'that Adit guy is weird, collecting pens and ink.' All the pens I tried are still fresh.

This year, I'm gonna take my Indian handmade pens, some of which have my own ground stub and CI nibs, for people to try out. And maybe my Lamy Al-Star with a medium stub that I ground. And maybe my Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue. Maybe my Pelikan Twist with the Italic grind I put on it. Heck, I'll take every favorite pen of mine. Who knows, I might also take my grinding stone and grind some nibs there.

So yeah, I am looking forward to the Abu Dhabi hub this year. Starting to count the days. So what will you guys be taking to your hub? What do you think Pelikan will surprise us this year with?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• Aditkamath26

• Cyber6

• 1nkulus

Just wondering, was the last year giveaway a sample or a full bottle of Edelstein?

Also, is there some kind of unwritten rule that we must bring a Pelikan product into the Hub?

I already registered for this years Pelikan Hub in my country and it will be my first time in a show / gathering like this

Just wondering, was the last year giveaway a sample or a full bottle of Edelstein?

Also, is there some kind of unwritten rule that we must bring a Pelikan product into the Hub?

I already registered for this years Pelikan Hub in my country and it will be my first time in a show / gathering like this

I had the same thoughts one year ago and even emailed Pelikan about it. Last year, we received a full bottle of Edelstein Smoky Quartz (IKR, Pelikan is awesome!!!). There is no rule that you should bring any Pelikan product. If you wanted, you could go without anything, and just sit down and talk. Its a very good event to be part of.

Edited by Aditkamath26

This will be my first hub and I am wondering when the local organiser is likely to be contacting us with the venue information?

This will be my first hub and I am wondering when the local organiser is likely to be contacting us with the venue information?

The local organizer or the Hubmaster isn't likely to have been chosen at this point, for any cities. Once he/she is chosen, you will be contacted by them for venue choices, or maybe he might have already chosen one. Anyway, you are most likely to get the info around September.

I had the same thoughts one year ago and even emailed Pelikan about it. Last year, we received a full bottle of Edelstein Smoky Quartz (IKR, Pelikan is awesome!!!). There is no rule that you should bring any Pelikan product. If you wanted, you could go without anything, and just sit down and talk. Its a very good event to be part of.

That newbie syndrome you know hahaha....

Wow, don't know about this year or different hubs different giveaway but I am quite excited for the event.

Surely will bring something to the event later, probably some Chinese pen.

Surely will bring something to the event later, probably some Chinese pen.

Nothing like introducing a Wing Sung with Edelstein ink or a copy Lamy to benchmark. :D

I'll have to source some quirky bits to take along... hmm

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Nothing like introducing a Wing Sung with Edelstein ink or a copy Lamy to benchmark. :D

I'll have to source some quirky bits to take along... hmm

Even the ink itself would be more pricey than the pen, I could imagine the ink shouting "Thou are not worthy" at the Lamy ripoff

Even the ink itself would be more pricey than the pen, I could imagine the ink shouting "Thou are not worthy" at the Lamy ripoff

You could take a collection of Chinese pens so everyone can experience what they are NOT missing. :lol:

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Jokes aside, there are some Chinese pens that should not be scoffed at. They have their own unique history and some of them are just really good pens.

Anyway, can't wait for the event too bad it's still 2 months away

Jokes aside, there are some Chinese pens that should not be scoffed at. They have their own unique history and some of them are just really good pens.

+1

There are gems, few are far between. Usually, they are a benchmark for tacky.

Engineer :

I've registered for my local Hub for the first time. It looks like being a small gathering, but should be interesting.

I intend bringing some less common Pelikans, and maybe some of the discontinued oblique nibs, which peeps may not have seen/tried before :)

✒️ :happyberet:

The local organizer or the Hubmaster isn't likely to have been chosen at this point, for any cities. Once he/she is chosen, you will be contacted by them for venue choices, or maybe he might have already chosen one. Anyway, you are most likely to get the info around September.

Last year I was the Hubmistress for Toronto, Canada. I contacted my hub as soon as I was informed (July) to introduce myself, then again in August to let them know the location, and remind them to put it in their calendar. And then one more time in September, the week of the event to remind people.

So, you could get contacted much sooner than September.

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

This will be the 5th year of the Hubs event occurring during the companys 180th anniversary year. Swag has varied over the years but has always included a full bottle of the ink of the year for the hub attendees. Other swag has included pen cases and notebooks.

Definitely dont need to bring or even own a Pelikan. Ive had people attend who used the opportunity to explore the brand and see what they might like prior to jumping in.

The growth has been amazing. The Philadelphia, USA hub had about 3 attendees year 1 and now we have 53 registrations and that kind of growth is across the board. This year has 31% more registrations than last year. If anybody is interested in the breakdown of the registration data, you can follow the link in my signature below.

I will take the opportunity in this forum to voice my concerns about this event. Its getting bigger every year. Some hubs have 100+ registrations. Venues arent routinely free. Hub masters are getting burdened with non-reimbursed cost. My fear is that this awesome event will be crushed by the weight of its own success. Not sure what Pelikan can do to mitigate this going forward. Just food for thought.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I

I will take the opportunity in this forum to voice my concerns about this event. Its getting bigger every year. Some hubs have 100+ registrations. Venues arent routinely free. Hub masters are getting burdened with non-reimbursed cost. My fear is that this awesome event will be crushed by the weight of its own success. Not sure what Pelikan can do to mitigate this going forward. Just food for thought.

I wonder if it would make sense to split hubs that get too big. Have multiple hub masters, meet in multiple places. I bet the NYC crowd would love it if the 84 participants could meet in smaller groups closer to where they are.

I guess different hubs operate in different ways.

The local hub takes place at a fountain pen shop, so there's no problem regarding venue - though we miss out on the part of snacks and beverages and finding a place to sit down and chat (try sticking hundred-plus people inside a store the size of a small cafe designed for 20 customers max ....)

It also benefits the shop by bringing in a large crowd flow during the event and making other customers more aware of the Pelikan brand as well.

I

I wonder if it would make sense to split hubs that get too big. Have multiple hub masters, meet in multiple places. I bet the NYC crowd would love it if the 84 participants could meet in smaller groups closer to where they are.

Well, one bottle of Smoky Quartz I more expensive than a handmade Deccan Advocate that I own, and believe me, that pen is marvelous. Its got a Jowo medium cursive italic that I ground.

I'm looking at the Moonman M2 and a couple of PenBBS pens, though I've never tried either.

I've registered for my local Hub for the first time. It looks like being a small gathering, but should be interesting.

I intend bringing some less common Pelikans, and maybe some of the discontinued oblique nibs, which peeps may not have seen/tried before :)

First time is quite always the best time. You could look at the number of people for your hub on the Pelikan Hubs 2018 page. IMO the attendance might vary from hub to hub. Some may have 25+ people,while last year, our hub had around 6-10.

This will be the 5th year of the Hubs event occurring during the companys 180th anniversary year. Swag has varied over the years but has always included a full bottle of the ink of the year for the hub attendees. Other swag has included pen cases and notebooks.

Definitely dont need to bring or even own a Pelikan. Ive had people attend who used the opportunity to explore the brand and see what they might like prior to jumping in.

The growth has been amazing. The Philadelphia, USA hub had about 3 attendees year 1 and now we have 53 registrations and that kind of growth is across the board. This year has 31% more registrations than last year. If anybody is interested in the breakdown of the registration data, you can follow the link in my signature below.

I remember last year, we had our hub in PAUL Café, a high end café in Abu Dhabi. Nearing the end of the hub, the hubmaster signaled for the bill, since we all had some coffee. He was a local Emirati, and said we guys were his guests and refused to split the bills. He said it was all on him.

What you could do is split hubs in a city if the attendance is high and split the bill or even choose a venue that isn't much high end.