Early Pelikan 100 (Bakelite Barrel), Worn Cap Threads?

mana

Hi,

I will soon be in possession of an early Pelikan 100 with a bakelite body. One of the potential issues with the pen are the cap threads which are reportedly worn quite smooth (they are rough/have problems keeping the cap captive etc.).

I was thinking about how easy it would be to refurbish the threads (as in remake them entirely)? Something along the lines of:

- Machine the threads out.
- Create new substrate for the threads by filling the area with a dyed epoxy mix.

- Let it cure and then machine new cap threads.

DISCLAIMER: I will inspect the pen when it is in my hands, and if possible, avoid doing anything of that nature to that pen (less is more). Going by the pictures from the auction there is a chance that the roughness is just some crud that had formed on the threads, smoothing those out should help.

Bonus question:
- Anyone in the know of a repairer in the EU who could do that (I have a hunch that fountainbel will get a shout or two) and who could also redo the gold platings on the trims among other things such as replacing the cork piston seal?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mana

• siamackz

Top Posters In This Topic

Fountainbel does all my repairs. Nothing but good things so say about him. All the best!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

As I suspected, have heard nothing but good of him. Thanks! :)

Fountainbel does all my repairs. Nothing but good things so say about him. All the best!

Oh well, turns out that the only thing worth something was the nib (14k M with that star emblem and size mark). Or so it seems, currently.

So I managed to salvage it and the feed. Collar was busted, split in two with the threaded part stuck in the section. I cleaned both and mated them to a spare collar I had available, niiiiiiice... it looks super, but unfortunately rather firm (semi-flex at max). The tipping is worn a bit flat but there is still healthy amount of it. Imprints are very good, crisp and clean.

But oh boy, was that thing gunked! I think it was left with IG ink in it, had really hard time to get it to soak off and had to spend a major amount of time brushing and scraping the feed and the ink channels clean. And the nib took some effort too, stuck ink all over and fair amount of tarnish.

The barrel, which is actually celluloid, might be ok although I doubt it. There is a fair chance that the section (which had some tool marks) leaks. Or then you have the usual enough to almost expect them as a norm micro cracks on the cap threads. Time will tell...

Binde was busted too, ink window end of it was worn so thin it flaked off the pen and the rest soon followed.

Filling mechanism is firmly stuck into the barrel, will try soaking the damn thing overnight. Piston knob had tool marks... might be able to sort those out. Have a spare mechanism available though but that one needs a new cork.

Cap... well, it was so well worn on both ends that I can only conclude that this pen has seen quite some miles in it's time... Clip is so so, into the parts bin it went.

So all in all, it is not a complete lemon but way worse what could be observed from the photos. If all goes well I have parts for a Pelikan 100 "Frankenpen" edition. At the minimum it needs a new piston seal... and a new binde, might go crazy with that. Like order a chased jewelers binde out of sterling. :D Oh, the hard rubber parts need some loving too.

Ok, so far I have bought two celluloid barrel 100 for about 60€ total knowing they have issues. The other one came with a busted "14k Warranted" replacement nib. If I can manage to salvage the barrel and get the stuck bits sorted out I can get a working pen after the piston seal has been fixed. So not entirely horribly bad still. And that nib looks pretty darn sweet, I would be happy just for that even if all the other parts turned out to be junk. :)

Have I learned anything from this? There were those few points during this evening where I almost found myself swearing off of these particular old birds but... what can I say, I am a hopeless romantic with a tendency towards optimism when it comes to vintage pens so I will keep on searching "that right one". Pelikan 100 are really sweet and neat little pens if they are in great shape. Sadly, that is often not the case with the ones found in the wild but I suppose the challenges presented are one of those things that makes it all interesting...