Schmidt Easyflow 9000 Question

KellyMcJ

I know some of you use Schmidt easyflow 9000 refills. Can someone test to see if they are alcohol resistant?

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• MYU

• usk15

• katerchen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Medium Black Easyflow 9000 on HP 28 lbs. Color LaserJet Paper. Heavily rubbed the area shown with a cotton swab saturated with isopropyl alcohol within a minute of putting the ink on paper.

post-134389-0-04954400-1532268074_thumb.jpeg

Edited by austinwft

Wow! Thanks!

How smooth is it when held at a low angle to the page? I tend to hold my pens at a low angle and some are scratchy that way.

How smooth is it when held at a low angle to the page? I tend to hold my pens at a low angle and some are scratchy that way.

I don't have large hands, nor do I hold a pen very far back from the business end, and i find it hard to comfortably hold any pen at an angle much lower than 45°. But not having a protractor to verify how far I could lay one of my pens down before it quit writing well I would have to say that you should be able to hold a pen with a EasyFlow 9000 refill down to an angle of 40-35° before your of the ball and dragging the barrel of the refill on the paper. YMMV

I don't have large hands, nor do I hold a pen very far back from the business end, and i find it hard to comfortably hold any pen at an angle much lower than 45°. But not having a protractor to verify how far I could lay one of my pens down before it quit writing well I would have to say that you should be able to hold a pen with a EasyFlow 9000 refill down to an angle of 40-35° before your of the ball and dragging the barrel of the refill on the paper. YMMV

Thanks!

Wow! Thanks!

I just tested and can confirm it is pretty smooth on low angle as well.

I just tested and can confirm it is pretty smooth on low angle as well.

Thanks so much!!! The schmidt Easyflow might be the closest thing to an indelible *ballpoint* that exists...and it's compatible with a fair few pens. Thank you thank you!

Just a little caution -- Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 refills dry out. Do not use them with capless pens. And if you've bought a bunch of refills for use later, be sure to seal them tightly in plastic. I once bought a box of 12 at a very good price, only to find that after a couple of years, the remainder I had (8 of them) were all totally useless.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Just a little caution -- Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 refills dry out. Do not use them with capless pens. And if you've bought a bunch of refills for use later, be sure to seal them tightly in plastic. I once bought a box of 12 at a very good price, only to find that after a couple of years, the remainder I had (8 of them) were all totally useless.

Wow...that's good to know as the pen I was looking at is indeed capless and the EasyFlow 9000 refill is given as an option for use in that pen. I was having a hard time deciding between the retractable pen and another that takes ALL THE REFILLS but has a screw cap, which is a touch inconvenient, but a great pen.

I had a dozen of them (for about 3-4 years now), both blue and black, and never had trouble with them drying up.

I had a dozen of them (for about 3-4 years now), both blue and black, and never had trouble with them drying up.

Maybe it's an environmental thing, or perhaps they've changed the formulation now? I'd bought my 12-pack in 2009.

Thanks everyone!!!

I wound up ordering a BigIDesign TiArto, which accepts any kind of refill and so will be a good lifetime (well until I manage to lose it which hopefully isn't soon) investment...I ordered some Uniball Signo refills to go with it, which are my current favorite but I will likely wind up trying the Schmidt at some point. (This will actually be the 3rd TiArto I've bought...the first two were gifts for friends and I knew I'd wind up with one myself some day because for the amount of time I've gotten to play around with one, they're awesome pens.)

I got my set of 6 from Lanier pens and they do come with little caps. Hopefully they will last since it takes me forever to actually use up a refill. I mostly just bring them with me when I leave my desk.

I got my set of 6 from Lanier pens and they do come with little caps. Hopefully they will last since it takes me forever to actually use up a refill. I mostly just bring them with me when I leave my desk.

Check those "caps". If I remember correctly, they're actually just "sleeves" and have an opening on the other end. Why not completely sealed? Beyond me. But again, that was 2009 and they may have changed the way they are packaged.

Thanks everyone!!!

I wound up ordering a BigIDesign TiArto, which accepts any kind of refill and so will be a good lifetime (well until I manage to lose it which hopefully isn't soon) investment...I ordered some Uniball Signo refills to go with it, which are my current favorite but I will likely wind up trying the Schmidt at some point. (This will actually be the 3rd TiArto I've bought...the first two were gifts for friends and I knew I'd wind up with one myself some day because for the amount of time I've gotten to play around with one, they're awesome pens.)

Congrats! The TiArto is a fine writing instrument and I've been eyeing them for a while. Show some pics when you get the chance. :)

Congrats! The TiArto is a fine writing instrument and I've been eyeing them for a while. Show some pics when you get the chance. :)

I will! I'm really excited to get it...I might like it as much as a fountain pen...I love those Uniball Signo refills!

Check those "caps". If I remember correctly, they're actually just "sleeves" and have an opening on the other end. Why not completely sealed? Beyond me. But again, that was 2009 and they may have changed the way they are packaged.

D'oh! You are absolutely right. Oh well.

So it arrived today- pretty much what I expected, having seen and held one previously. I wrote a few pages in my journal with it, and I can honestly say it's not the most ergonomic pen ever, for me. My hand did start to cramp up, so I'd say it's not for long writing sessions for me (but then again I'd use a fountain pen for that anyway more than likely).

The refills I chose (Uniball Signo 0.28) are much finer than I've ever used before and will be perfect for poorly designed forms on really crappy paper. They are picky about angle, so skip a lot if I write cursive, but being Japanese extra fine points, I imagine they're not intended for Western cursive (and I'll mostly be printing/filling out forms with them so all is well.) The blue ink is VIBRANT. Eye searing even with that tip size.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my hands on one of these...and I bought a stainless Parker Jotter to put it in. My thoughts:

The Parker refill is every bit as smooth, but a lot lighter. I can't decide which I like better.

Neither writes very well at a low angle such as I usually write with, without the edge of the part that holds the ball digging into the paper horribly on the upstroke. (I have the same issue to some extent with gels too, though not all of them.)

At a high enough angle, though, both are very smooth and free flowing.