The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

"western" Pens Made In China

china manufacturers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Allsop

Allsop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:21

I have heard a rumour that some of the West's best known fountain pen companies manufacture their pens in China, Mont Blanc was specifically mentioned and I am wondering if there is any truth in this? I know that Apple and a lot of other computer companies use Chinese manufacturers and it would not surprise me if pen companies did. Does anyone know if some of our best known pens are actually made in China?

“They took my books because my message was love.
They took my pen because my words were love.
Then they took my voice because my song was love.
Soon they’ll take myself so nothing remains.
But they don’t know that when I'm gone my love will stay.” ― Kamand Kojouri

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:24

Montblanc pens are made in Hamburg, Germany. Pelikan pens are made in Germany. Aurora pens are made in Italy.

#3 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:32

Montblanc pens are made in Hamburg, Germany. Pelikan pens are made in Germany. Aurora pens are made in Italy.

Pelikan nibs for sure are made in Peine/Hannover. I made a trip to the plant and a guided tour there and I saw the nibs being made, gold and steel.

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

#4 Allsop

Allsop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:35

Thanks for this. I thought it bit of a stretch to say Montblank were made in China but I would be interested to know if any other's are. 

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:43

Thanks for this. I thought it bit of a stretch to say Montblank were made in China but I would be interested to know if any other's are. 

I believe that Chinese fake "Mont Blank" pens do exist. They spell it wrongly in order to not infringe copyright.

#6 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:14

I believe Parker and Sheaffer manufacture their pens in China now?

#7 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:17

Sheaffer along with (apparently) some Parker and Waterman pens are being manufactured in China.

let this not dissuade you, though. The Chinese factories are more than capable of delivering a quality product: it all depends on how much is being put into quality check.

#8 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:13

Parker makes some of it's pens in China. Others in a Parker/Waterman factory in France. Parker closed it's UK factory with in the decade.

Cross, which now owns Sheaffer is in China. :unsure:

:headsmack:I remember when Cross only made a nifty matt black and gold rimmed; then expensive ball point, in the '60-70's. a Parker Jotter had cost $3.75, and the high status Cross thin black ball point a whopping $8.00..........but at least among Americans it was 'the' high status ball point.........at the time MB was very affordable in the ball point market........having so many.

To tell the truth, MB was not on my radar nor Pelikan......Fountain pens were passe` to me. Too much trouble, for any tiny scribbling I was doing.

Later MB was still not on my radar, I'd inherited a couple from my wife's uncle. and one of them ended up being sold for used ball point prices at a flea market. :headsmack:That little snowflake on the top of the ball point I'd not noticed, nor had my wife. In the '60-70's and a bit later when MB had three levels of it's own fountain pens, they also made market priced ball points.

Back to Cross. In fact I'd gone to the BS, USAF PX, Post Exchange @ 1970-71 to buy the high class Cross black ball point. At the pen island, then drooled over a classic Black and Gold Sheaffer Snorkel. :drool:  A pen I'd been going to buy once I became an adult....but had decided I didn't need a fountain pen.

Then there was the P-75 Stirling silver ball point, for  :yikes: $18, that put that $8 Cross in the deep shadows. Having more money in my pocket than good sense bought that matching P-75 fountain pen to go with it for an additional $22.

That was back when we still had silver money and the Dollar was Almighty. The German Mark was sitting at 3.60 to a dollar....down from the 'normal' 4-1. Back in Silver Dollar times....you could take your blue seal dollar bill into any bank and get a silver dollar for it.

Mercedes and BMW were cheap cars....small (still are to those days standards....only the SAAB reached then US middle class size inside where it counts), under powered............that they cornered had nothing to do with stoplight to stoplight. (Was on a back road in Virginia a decade ago, and laughed my self sick, some little corner was rated at 25mph, that would have been 45mph/70kpm in Germany. So corners are still a foreign word in America.)

(Because of different transaxels, you did not want to take a Camero out on the Autobahn or you'd burn up the motor going Autobahn speeds for any length of time. The  German cars, were slower to the stoplight, but had much higher cruising top ends....ah yes, the good old days, when one flew low on the autobahn....before the Greens ruined everything.)

I do have a pretty shimmering blue heavy Cross Townsend nail, under the bed. I don't use nails much, but got it on Sale at Galeria Kaufhaus, like my 605.  

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#9 Allsop

Allsop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:35

Sheaffer along with (apparently) some Parker and Waterman pens are being manufactured in China.

let this not dissuade you, though. The Chinese factories are more than capable of delivering a quality product: it all depends on how much is being put into quality check.

That was my contention in the discussion I was having that led to my question here. I asserted that the quality of some Chinese products are as good as western and indeed some western companies actually made their goods in China. Good to have it confirmed.

#10 thx1138

thx1138

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:55

Parker IM and Urban are made in china. Not sure if any other models are.

#11 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 16:16

Some Yafa (Conklin, Monteverdi, ?) pens use parts made in China and some pens might assembled there as well.

#12 DanceOfLight

DanceOfLight

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 18:36

Pelikan nibs for sure are made in Peine/Hannover. I made a trip to the plant and a guided tour there and I saw the nibs being made, gold and steel.

+1 Took a tour as well as got my special M1000 Nib ground there. Fantastic people doing good honest work.

#13 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2018 - 14:01

There's also a company in India that makes some low-end Parkers under license - Beta, Vector and Frontier.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: china, manufacturers

Sponsored Content

|