Special Diamine Ink By R/fountainpens

penzel_washinkton

It's a bright blue leaning teal shade that's quite hard to capture from a scanner.

Exactly, which I think is basically a bright blue ink that has a teal shade and not a teal color in itself.

But as I said, it might be more apparent on a broader nib but I personally don't use broad nibs so I can't say anything much on that case

Agreed. It is unlikely they will create something truly unique

I am glad however, that Aurora borealis was chosen as the name instead of the first round winner. I wish they could make a truly copper ink (not ancient copper) also with a green sheen. Actually, any non-shimmer metallic ink would be unique: gold, silver, etc

If the color is a brighter teal then I wouldn't mind Mermaid's Tail but Aurora Borealis is also good.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• Olya

• Karmachanic

• pen_master

Reddit ink quick update

renderTimingPixel.png

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post a quick message updating everyone on the progress of the Reddit ink.

Diamine have been extremely busy but are working hard creating ink samples ready for the final vote.

These samples should be ready in roughly 2 weeks.

Thank you everyone for your patience, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/9rt8ig/reddit_ink_quick_update/

Thank you for the update, still eager to see what color options Diamine will produce with this year special ink

• 2 weeks later...

"Diamine r/fountainpens ink: Final poll!

renderTimingPixel.png

Hello again r/fountainpens!

The inks are now in from Diamine!!

High resolution images can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/N4DPhaQ

You can vote here: https://goo.gl/forms/1Yg2X3TzQHZ6mB852

For anyone who is new or has missed the previous polls, Diamine have offered to make r/fountainpens their very own ink. The community has voted for a Teal ink with stronger shades of green, named "Aurora Borealis" that is dark enough to be used as an everyday writing ink.

I wanted to give a special mention to Nick Stewart to very kindly produced these wonderful ink swatches for us. Please check out his work at https://nickstewart.ink/.

Happy voting and may the best colour win!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/9vtqu1/diamine_rfountainpens_ink_final_poll/

Edited by Olya

I find sample 03 to be an appealing colour, but apparently no shading. Oh well.

Add lightness and simplicate.

On my screen, only samples 01 and 06 show appreciable color in the writing sample. On the rest, the text simply looks black. I have to base my opinion off the swab samples. Overall, I think 01 is my favorite because it has the best balance of blue and green, with 06 a close second.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Tapped immediately on the link to images and recognized Nick Stewart's handwriting immediately 😅 this was a very tough choice, though I'm surprised how many people on Reddit are complaining about how dark the options are. The aurorae are viewed against a black sky, so the shading to near black makes sense to me. Also, since the aurorae are such colorful events, the heavy dye load yielding a red sheen makes it even more perfect. I refer to both aurorae here, cuz the australis isn't that different from the borealis.

Number 1 seems quite unique, 2 reminds me of November Rain, 3 seems very nice, 4 is washed out in my opinion, 5 is a cheeky attempt to include a bluish teal (I thought the poll that won was a teal that lean towards green?) but I'm liking the color, 6 is the closest I see to a Yamadori.

I went in choosing 1, 3, 5 and 6 with hoping that either 1 / 5 winning and felt good when seeing that 1 is leading by a large margin.

Diamine r/fountainpens ink: Winner announcement

renderTimingPixel.pngAfter 3 polls and total of 4390 votes we have winner!

I'm please to present your winner Aurora Borealis!

For anyone interested here are the results form the last poll: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ARpBxrqf674f9Igf7Di6iZqC5x5n6OEzGQrJ63jwOsw/viewanalytics

Diamine will start work making the inks, it will ship through normal distribution channels. This process will likely take a few months but it will hopefully be your favourite retailers soon enough.

Thank you to Diamine for choosing to do this project for a second year, thank you to u/Nick-Stewart who provided the ink swatches and lastly thank you to everyone who voted.

I know I don't post much on r/fountainpens (or Reddit in general) but I do visit the sub everyday and enjoy the great content you all provide and I guess my organising of this whole thing is my way of giving a little something back to this great community, thank you all!

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/a0ashb/diamine_rfountainpens_ink_winner_announcement/

Edited by Olya

I WAS FLATTERED TO BE ASKED BY PHIL DAVIES OF DIAMINE INKS TO SWATCH TEST THE INK COLOUR ENTRIES FOR THE SECOND REDDIT/DIAMINE INK COLLABORATION.

Following up on the results of a questionnaire put to the Reddit Fountain Pen community, 6 bottles of ‘Teal’ arrived at my door and if you'd like to see all the images created, here's the link: https://nickstewart.ink/2018/11/26/aurora-borealis-the-new-diamine-reddit-teal/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/a0jnzx/aurora_borealis_the_new_teal_fountain_pen_ink/

Congrats and excited for the Aurora Borealis.

Is there an estimated time on when it will be readily available?

Skull and roses isn't doing a lot for me, but I got a sample of november rain and that ink knocked my socks off. I saw the swabs for the new color and I'm absolutely buying two bottles.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 1 month later...

it was "COMING IN LATE JANUARY" yesterday, they changed it >< sad, but still, only 1 month away.

Edited by Lomarion

Seems like we have first hint about release, atleast in US https://www.gouletpens.com/products/diamine-aurora-borealis-80ml-bottled-ink :bunny01:

Hopefully around that time it will hit other countries and stores too.

Sigh. No image yet. Wondering what the ink will look like (having actually seen the aurora once when I was a kid -- conditions were such that it was visible as far south as where I lived, about 50 miles north of NYC, and my parents let my brother and me stay up late to see it; I remember red streaks across the night sky, but I gather if you're closer to the Arctic Circle you get a range of colors).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."