Can I Use Any "sheaffer Touchdown" Restoration Video As A Guide For A Sheaffer Tuckaway?

PotatoJesus

As the title says I am trying to restore an old sheaffer tuckaway but I am having trouble finding restoration guides specifically for it and instead find videos for restoring sheaffer touchdowns that to my knowledge have the same mechanisms it used in the tuckaway. If anyone has a more specific guide that would be very helpful as this would be my first attempt at a restoration. Also, when watching this video there is an o ring that needs to be placed in the Sheaffer Imperial but i am having trouble finding a notch for one....also what size o ring should i look for/ where is the best place to buy one? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Okay last minute edit, so I see that anderson pens sells o rings a large and small, but which size should I get?

Edited by PotatoJesus

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotatoJesus

• pen lady

• mitto

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KIT-TD $8

Includes 3 #15 Pen Sacs, 3 Small O-rings and instructions for repairing a Sheaffer T.M. Touchdown fountain pen.

Pulled from the Pendemonium web site, nibs and parts section from the pull-down menu on the repairs and services tab. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. Good luck.

KIT-TD $8

Includes 3 #15 Pen Sacs, 3 Small O-rings and instructions for repairing a Sheaffer T.M. Touchdown fountain pen.

Pulled from the Pendemonium web site, nibs and parts section from the pull-down menu on the repairs and services tab. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. Good luck.

Thank you!

When I received the pen there was no o-ring originally in place, Im not sure about where I need to would it go in at the end of the screwed part of the section?

post-135480-0-77910100-1532128581_thumb.png

Edited by PotatoJesus

The "O" ring goes in the bottom of the outer (plastic) barrel, the end closest to the knurled knob. You'll have to unscrew the knob and remove the metal sleeve to access the "O" ring slot. Read some good instructions, Touch Down pens rely on air-tight components to work properly. Good luck.

The "O" ring goes in the bottom of the outer (plastic) barrel, the end closest to the knurled knob. You'll have to unscrew the knob and remove the metal sleeve to access the "O" ring slot. Read some good instructions, Touch Down pens rely on air-tight components to work properly. Good luck.

Thanks to both of you! I really appreciate everyone's help

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone that helped out! The repair went well once the o-ring came in. It was really fun getting this pen up and running again. I think I have found a new addiction!

That's good news, not so sure about the addiction though, but then, you are among friends!

• 10 months later...

May I revive this thread to ask a related question? The above stuff has been very useful to me in my first Touchdown Tuckaway servicing, it certainly helped me find the o-ring, but in videos and in threads here there have been references to an air hole in the barrel that may need to be unclogged. I have looked and looked and I see no evidence of an air hole in the barrel. In addition to visual inspection I closed one end of the barrel with my finger and blew in the other end, and no air came out of any hole.

So am I safe in concluding that the barrel of a Touchdown Tuckaway does not have an air hole?

My Tuckaway has the air hole. It's about 1/8 inch away from the seam for the blind cap.

My pen also has an engraved name. The air hole is almost in line with the engraving.

All of the touchdown pens, including the Tuckaways, have a vent hole just above the 0-ring. I suppose that it's possible one made it through without the hole being drilled. I've handled a gazillion of these pens, and have yet to see a barrel without it. It just might be hard to see on your black pen if it's clogged.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Found it, and it was clogged, thanks for the clues as to its location.

@ Paul-in-SF

After reading your post in the morning (it is 9:18pm now here), I tried to post a picture of a touchdown barrel vent hole. But, before I could press the 'post' button, I lost connectivity.

Good that you found the vent hole with the help of other posters.

Khan M. Ilyas