The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Can I Use Any "sheaffer Touchdown" Restoration Video As A Guide For A Sheaffer Tuckaway?

restoration tuckaway touchdown

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PotatoJesus

PotatoJesus

The good shepherd giveth his life for the potatoes

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 21:40

As the title says I am trying to restore an old sheaffer tuckaway but I am having trouble finding restoration guides specifically for it and instead find videos for restoring sheaffer touchdowns  that to my knowledge have the same mechanisms it used in the tuckaway. If anyone has a more specific guide that would be very helpful as this would be my first attempt at a restoration. Also, when watching this video there is an o ring that needs to be placed in the Sheaffer Imperial but i am having trouble finding a notch for one....also what size o ring should i look for/ where is the best place to buy one? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Okay last minute edit, so I see that anderson pens sells o rings a large and small, but which size should I get? 

Edited by PotatoJesus, 20 July 2018 - 21:55.

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 23:01

KIT-TD $8

Includes 3 #15 Pen Sacs, 3 Small O-rings and instructions for repairing a Sheaffer T.M. Touchdown fountain pen.

Pulled from the Pendemonium web site, nibs and parts section from the pull-down menu on the repairs and services tab.  No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.  Good luck.

#3 PotatoJesus

PotatoJesus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 23:03

KIT-TD $8

Includes 3 #15 Pen Sacs, 3 Small O-rings and instructions for repairing a Sheaffer T.M. Touchdown fountain pen.

Pulled from the Pendemonium web site, nibs and parts section from the pull-down menu on the repairs and services tab.  No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.  Good luck.

Thank you!

#4 PotatoJesus

PotatoJesus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 23:16

When I received the pen there was no o-ring originally in place, Im not sure about where I need to would it go in at the end of the screwed part of the section?

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

Edited by PotatoJesus, 20 July 2018 - 23:16.

#5 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:32

The "O" ring goes in the bottom of the outer (plastic) barrel, the end closest to the knurled knob. You'll have to unscrew the knob and remove the metal sleeve to access the "O" ring slot.  Read some good instructions, Touch Down pens rely on air-tight components to work properly.  Good luck.

#6 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:49

Instructions here:

http://dirck.delint....ta/?page_id=694

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

#7 PotatoJesus

PotatoJesus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 17:40

The "O" ring goes in the bottom of the outer (plastic) barrel, the end closest to the knurled knob. You'll have to unscrew the knob and remove the metal sleeve to access the "O" ring slot.  Read some good instructions, Touch Down pens rely on air-tight components to work properly.  Good luck.

Thanks to both of you! I really appreciate everyone's help

#8 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 19:05

Please let us know how the repair goes,happy to help. ;)

#9 PotatoJesus

PotatoJesus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2018 - 15:41

Thank you to everyone that helped out! The repair went well once the o-ring came in. It was really fun getting this pen up and running again. I think I have found a new addiction!

#10 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2018 - 20:53

That's good news, not so sure about the addiction though, but then, you are among friends! 

#11 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2018 - 14:46

Good that you succeeded in restoring your pen. Enjoy writing and enjoy the new addiction.
Khan M. Ilyas

#12 Paul-in-SF

Paul-in-SF

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 23:09

May I revive this thread to ask a related question? The above stuff has been very useful to me in my first Touchdown Tuckaway servicing, it certainly helped me find the o-ring, but in videos and in threads here there have been references to an air hole in the barrel that may need to be unclogged. I have looked and looked and I see no evidence of an air hole in the barrel. In addition to visual inspection I closed one end of the barrel with my finger and blew in the other end, and no air came out of any hole. 

So am I safe in concluding that the barrel of a Touchdown Tuckaway does not have an air hole? 

#13 cattar

cattar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,091 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:53

My Tuckaway has the air hole. It's about 1/8 inch away from the seam for the blind cap.

My pen also has an engraved name. The air hole is almost in line with the engraving.

#14 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 13:35

All of the touchdown pens, including the Tuckaways,  have a vent hole just above the 0-ring.  I suppose that it's possible one made it through without the hole being drilled.  I've handled a gazillion of these pens, and have yet to see a barrel without it.  It just might be hard to see on your black pen if it's clogged.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#15 Paul-in-SF

Paul-in-SF

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 14:20

Found it, and it was clogged, thanks for the clues as to its location. 

#16 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 16:17

@ Paul-in-SF

After reading your post in the morning (it is 9:18pm now here), I tried to post a picture of a touchdown barrel vent hole. But, before I could press the 'post' button, I lost connectivity.

Good that you found the vent hole with the help of other posters.
Khan M. Ilyas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: restoration, tuckaway, touchdown

Sponsored Content

|