The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Many Pens Do You Have Inked At Any One Time?

pens inked

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#21 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 23:56

Obviously, I need to buy more pens!

Ralf

Don’t we all? ;)

Sponsored Content

#22 old4570

old4570

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:11

6 ( At the moment ) 

1) Parker 45 Arrow

2) Two Jinhao 992 with experimental NIB's 

3) Moonman M2

4) Camlin 22

5) Jinhao X750  

#23 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• 916 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:11

I have 10 fountain pens inked and don't plan to refill any until I have emptied at least most of them. I really don't like any FP to dry up. The source of this problem is we have too many great ink choices in front of us.

#24 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:58

Min. 6, max has been 12-13ish. Currently sitting at 10 or 11, which I'm trying to bring back down to 7ish before I have to travel again.

#25 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:08

Normally I try to keep it at 3-5. Right now I am at 16: Yesterday I filled 11 pens to show how much the pen can influence the look of the two inks she was interested in buying online. Now I have a loooot of Diamine Bilberry and Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz to write empty..

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

#26 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:11

[…]

I find that the more pens I have inked, the more I chop and change unnecessarily. I change pens for no good reason other than I fancy seeing the other ink colour, or i'm bored of the smoothness of the pen i'm writing with and want to feel the feedback of my ground Pelikan or visa versa. My notebook pages are a rainbow of colours. Like a kids colouring book!

[…]

fpn_1532175038__img_4486.jpg

fpn_1532175072__img_4487.jpg

fpn_1532175088__img_4488.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#27 goodpens

goodpens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 16:33

15 currently

At minimum, I have two inked: one dark ink (black or brown) and one bright/contrast ink (depending on mood).

Edited by goodpens, 21 July 2018 - 16:52.

#28 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:09

[mutters to himself and doesn't even want to try and count...wondering why he's even posting]

In other words...WAY TOO MANY!!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#29 radellaf

radellaf

KC4AQC

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2018 - 16:00

Way too many... for the size of my desk.  Started as one row, then another half-row, and now a few are climbing on to the pen cups or laying across other pens.  Somewhere around 50 of them, some inked with the same ink (same fill) as when I got them a few years ago (~5 years max, I think).  I do appreciate pens that cap as well as disposable rollerballs, and try to maintain all the rest at least every few months or more often with a syringe of distilled water.  Pens with hard or impossible to remove feeds _and_ caps that don't seal well tend to end up in a drawer with the thought I might use them someday when I have a lot to write at a time.  A Waterman Edson has joined this group, though I did keep it wet for maybe a year with more frequent checks and water-adding.  A Noodler's Nib Creaper was the worst at drying out, but at least could be cleaned.  Don't think I've ever had a Parker Sonnet that sealed well but the feed can be removed if you're careful.  Two Chinese Sonnet knock-offs, OTOH, seal very well.  The "18kt" nib on one, though, sticks soundly to a magnet.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2018 - 23:03

I try to keep it in the single digits. I like to change inks frequently, though, so I often do 1/2- or 1/3-converter fills to avoid feeling like I'm "forced" to finish off a pen. This way I can always use whichever nib+color suits my mood without covering my desk with two dozen different pens.

#31 lovemypen

lovemypen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:29

10 to 15 every time even though only 2 or 3 are used regularly. The others i am using once or twice in a week. The problem i faced is the drying of inks inside the pen. For that i find a simple solution. I put the seldom used pens in an air tight container. I also put a piece of sponge soaked in water in that container. So even after a month the nib doesn't dried up.

#32 biancitwo

biancitwo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:54

10 currently, a Nakaya Aka tamenuri, with Mottishaw broad CI, filled with Kon Peki;
a Pelikan M600, with a Pendleton Brown (PB) broad CI, filled with Monteverde Horizon Blue;
a Pelikan M605, with a PB medium CI, filled with Kon Peki;
a Pelikan tortoise 400NN, with semi flex F, filled with Pelikan Smokey Quartz;
a Pelikan 100, with semi flex EF, filled with Diamond Blood Orange;
an OMAS Paragon 557, with broad Mottishaw CI, filled with Iroshizuku Asa Gao;
a Platinum 3776, with SF, filled with Kon Peki;
a Pilot Custom 823, with broad, filled with Sailor Souten;
a Sailor 1911L, with an H-B, modified to CI by PB, filled with Robert Oster Lake of Fire; and
a Ranga Bamboo, with factory broad italic, filled with Oster Lake of Fire.
A wonderful selection and variety of superb writing instruments.

#33 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:48

About two dozen right now. I have a shipment of eight cheap, but specially engraved, Platinum Plaisir (and two  Platinum Balance) pens coming, though, as I guess I will find out just how good the ‘special’ seal of their inner cap design is, when I fill them all up with different inks.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#34 minddance

minddance

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,528 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:41

All, actually, which is not many. Minus the Chinese pens because they don't preserve inks properly.

Some Japanese pens (preppy, Sailor, Pilot), Germans (Lamy2000, Kaweco Sport, Pelikan), Twsbis.

#35 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• 2,193 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:48

I used to keep it under control with 3 inked. Now I only know it’s too many, with too many needing to be cleaned.
Posted Image

#36 acornham

acornham

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:20

Currently far too many. I have eleven inked.

1) Matador Click
2) Elita?(Piston filler vintage knock of of Pelikan 400 in M300 size)
3) Perfecto 110 (Piston filler similar to Parker VS, but with an ink window-my favorite pen)
4) Esterbrook J (I hate this pen, it's uncomfortable, and the feed is terrible.)
5) Parker 61 mk2
6) Kaweco Sport BB
7) Kaweco Sport BB Stub
8) Wing Sung Prera knock-off
9) Platinum Preppy 05
10) Lamy Al-Star
11) Lamy Safari

#37 ParramattaPaul

ParramattaPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:34

At the moment, five.

#38 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• 4,629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2018 - 22:42

I have been listening to an audio podcast called The Nib Section. One of the hosts has 40 pens inked!  I enjoy writing in different inks but try to keep my number in single digits.

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

#39 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,862 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 23:15

5-7, typically

#40 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2018 - 23:37

I always try to keep max 5 inked but usually get by with 3 pens being inked.

Blue and Black is mandatory, the other being the color of my choosing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pens, inked

Sponsored Content

|