Platinum Procyon New Model

Olya

I suspect details like diameter of the scetion etc will be known once retailers have the pens. Looks like release is imminent! Generally when Platinum announces pens, I think that a release is followed quickly. Like with the 3776 Century LEs & SEs.

Here's a link to the Goulet's Procyon page, I'm sure they'll have full specs up soon!

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/platinum-procyon-fountain-pens/products/platinum-procyon-fountain-pen-deep-sea?variant=13113688162347

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/platinum-procyon-fountain-pens

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• JonSzanto

• minddance

• dan in montreal

I'm very curious as to what, besides aesthetics, this pen has over the Platinum Balance, which you get get from Japan (Amazon, JetPens, eBay, etc) for half the price of the Procyon. (Indeed, I'm waiting on delivery of a $26.99 model due in the next 1-3 weeks from Japan.) The nibs are certainly different, but the Balance is notable for having a (slightly) more flexible-than-usual nib for a steel nib.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

I'm very curious as to what, besides aesthetics, this pen has over the Platinum Balance, which you get get from Japan (Amazon, JetPens, eBay, etc) for half the price of the Procyon. (Indeed, I'm waiting on delivery of a $26.99 model due in the next 1-3 weeks from Japan.) The nibs are certainly different, but the Balance is notable for having a (slightly) more flexible-than-usual nib for a steel nib.

The aluminum body on the Procyon is one difference, but I look forward to hearing how the writing experience differs.

Well, my $12 Plaisir has an aluminum body, lol. Actually that's one thing I dislike about it ... it's too slippery!

I'm really curious about the nib, though. Platinum has had several steel variants recently: the Preppy/Plaisir, the Balance/Cool, and the 3776 Maestro. Prior to choosing the Cool I was seriously considering the Maestro (around $40 shipped from Asia) but I saw that Platinum was canny enough to further delineate the steel/gold 3776 models by manufacturing the Maestro without the Slip-N-Seal cap. But the Maestro retains the best-looking steel nib they've sold, in my opinion.

Only dimension spec it got so far is the size from Platinum website:

139.7 mm (full length) × 14.4mm (max. diameter)
Average weight 23.3g

Not sure about the grip section size though

FYI I got my Cool M in the mail this week and it's now the smoothest steel nib pen I own. Reminds me of both a Lamy and a Faber Castell I've (briefly) used, in terms of feel if not look. Very happy with the pen, especially for the $27 I paid.

The Procyon models seem more traditionally corporate looking, but I'd still be interested in seeing how (and how differently) this new nib design writes.

Edited by tvradio

I saw them at the DC show a week ago at the US distributor’s table. One of each color was all they had. They said they expected to have stock to send to retailers during the week after the show, but that’s yet to be seen. Anyway, I liked the blue (Deep Sea) a lot. It’s a very lightweight pen, more so than I expected, though not a dealbreaker. I don’t know how they write since they were not inked. I’m not really a Platinum fan in general but I want a Procyon.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Too bad they weren't inked, might be a prototype model.

What kind of finish is the pen?

I don’t think they were prototypes as they were fully packaged as new. Not sure how to answer the question about finish but to say they were glossy except for the blue which is more sparkly metallic.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Now that is interesting, so I assume that they are hyping up the product / Platinum themselves forbid the usage of the pen for now until further notice.

OK, no problem I thought you had the chance to handle the pen. Thanks for the info though

In terms of product stratification it seems designed ot be sold as a step up from the Cool/Balance with an aluminum body instead of plastic, a la the differences between Preppy and Plaisir. It's nib isn't as nice looking at the 3776 Maestro, though unlike the Maestro it has a Slip-N-Seal cap.

Given that the Maestro can be gotten for less than the Procyr (around $45, at least until it finally sells out internationally) I'm not sure what the buying proposition is for the pen, aside from its Prera-like looks. Given that the Cool can be bought at half the price (got mine earlier this month for $27), that nib better be worth it, or else it's dependent on people just liking the aesthetics of it.

Somebody could share the recipes for the special color inks?

Thanks

Uhhh.. What?

In terms of product stratification it seems designed ot be sold as a step up from the Cool/Balance with an aluminum body instead of plastic, a la the differences between Preppy and Plaisir. It's nib isn't as nice looking at the 3776 Maestro, though unlike the Maestro it has a Slip-N-Seal cap.

Given that the Maestro can be gotten for less than the Procyr (around $45, at least until it finally sells out internationally) I'm not sure what the buying proposition is for the pen, aside from its Prera-like looks. Given that the Cool can be bought at half the price (got mine earlier this month for $27), that nib better be worth it, or else it's dependent on people just liking the aesthetics of it.

I think Platinum is just confusing their own mid-tier market with this pen. They've got the low-end covered with the Preppy and then a small upgrade with the Plaisir.

Now the Balance / Cool / Maestro is very muddled with the arrival of Procyon since the price isn't that huge of a difference

Oh I see, I was just thinking maybe wrong thread.

Aqua Emerald looks like Eau de Nil and Gold Ochre seems reminiscent of Ancient Copper, maybe you could start there?

Oh I see, I was just thinking maybe wrong thread.

Aqua Emerald looks like Eau de Nil and Gold Ochre seems reminiscent of Ancient Copper, maybe you could start there?

Thanks for the suggestions. Call me lazy but I have got the mix-free set and the easiest way should be to get the recipe directly from the Procyon box.

During a rare you-tube visit today I noticed several reviews of the Procyon in which it looks rather nice. The reviewers writing demonstration shows it to produce a very fine line. No sign of variation in line width was demonstrated.