Platinum Procyon New Model

Olya

Platinum is releasing a new model - the PROCYON.

It has their famous slip & seal as well as a new feature: the ink inlet is further down, allowing for the pen to suck up ink without being fully imerged into the bottle, which means that it is easier to use up a bottle down to the last drop.

Imo Sailor kinda can do this already, as their pens fill from the breather hole....

They are supposed to cost 5000 Yen + tax.

I saw these news first here

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/90a6db/new_fountain_pen_model_from_platinum_procyon/

https://twitter.com/Ginza_Itoya/status/1019888700514230272

https://twitter.com/Ginza_Itoya/status/1019891259022774272

https://twitter.com/Ginza_Itoya/status/1019896710166802434

https://twitter.com/Ginza_Itoya/status/1020135698773434369

Edited by Olya

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• JonSzanto

• minddance

• dan in montreal

I read that on news feed also, Platinum also advertised that the nib is all new and " rival gold nib in softness " ... I am curious as to how the nib / feed mechanism all come together .. look kind of interesting

That dark blue looks tempting to me and I am interested in the mechanism

Nib seems similar in shape with Lamy though...

I'd be a bit more enthused if the pens themselves didn't look so remarkably pedestrian.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm sure they intended to name it after the bright star, but Procyon is also the scientific name for the raccoon genus (group), so that is what comes to my mind.

They should sell a version with tail stripes on the cap...

I hope the nib isn't as terribly 'feedbacky' bordering on scratchy and dry as the 3776.

Manufacturers should work on the the nib before adding different coloured barrels.

Of course, this is an entirely new pen. Let's hope for the best.

I hope the nib isn't as terribly 'feedbacky' bordering on scratchy and dry as the 3776.

I own 6 of those pens. None fit your description and never did.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

They should sell a version with tail stripes on the cap...

I think the stripes would work better on the butt end...

Manufacturers should work on the the nib before adding different coloured barrels.

Of course, this is an entirely new pen. Let's hope for the best.

How many pens of this model do you own? I have only one, and it is my smoothest, wettest pen, but a sample of one is obviously an insufficient basis for generalization.

I think it has been generally known that the 3776 is a feedbacky pen, especially the finer nibs.

However, about it being scratchy is subjective because some could not tolerate the feedback it gives, me personally I don't really care for it's feedback and it is a well performing pen.

I have a number of 3776 pens with newer and older (round breather hole) nibs. Nibs also come in two sizes 6.0 and 6.5mm. Have not determined if the change in nib size coincided with the change in breather hole.

My largest nib is a MEDIUM. Smallest is an UF. The UF and FINE provides feedback. The MEDIUM does not. Might be due to my writing style. I also suspect Japanese nibs were designed to mostly write kanji and kana. It may be anecdotal that the newer model nibs provide more feedback. To me the older ones are much smoother and perform slightly better. BTW, the older nibs come with ebonite feeds. Again, have not determined if the nibs and diameters wrre changed at the same time as ebonite feeds were phased out.

Suggestion: If you see any of the older models for sale, except for the plain Jane black, go for it.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

In my experience Platinum nibs are the driest & toothiest (& therefore loudest) of the big 3 (gold & steel).

I thought tooth & scratchiness were similar, all until I got an Aurora with misaligned tines and learnt what a scratchy nib really is... :wacko:

I do have and use a B Platinum nib right now. To me, these are probably the best modern nibs one can hope for. They do have feedback indeed: it feels like writing with a pencil, and this is delightful! But nowhere near scratchy or toothy... I do find Pilot nibs unpleasantly smooth, making them souless and preventing me of buying any (except for the lower tier of their lineup). I have never tried any of the 20 or 50 nibs though.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Anyone know what the price of the Procyon will be? If they're inexpensive, I can see myself getting one -- they evoke the old Sheaffer No Nonsense pens.

If, on the other hand, they're expensive, I'll pass.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Finally I see some honest reports from members Olya and Namo (and Peerless1), bravo :)

There is nothing wrong with feedback and tooth, but they must be reported accordingly to serve as a guide especially when many pens cannot be tested and purchases are made solely based on reviews and forum discussions.

Anyone know what the price of the Procyon will be? If they're inexpensive, I can see myself getting one -- they evoke the old Sheaffer No Nonsense pens.

If, on the other hand, they're expensive, I'll pass.

In Japan they're slotted to sell for 5000 Yen + tax, so somewhere around US $ 50 (I suppose this model is the competition to Sailor's Somiko/ Young Profit & Pilot's Lucina).

In Japan they're slotted to sell for 5000 Yen + tax, so somewhere around US $ 50 (I suppose this model is the competition to Sailor's Somiko/ Young Profit & Pilot's Lucina).

Thanks for the information. For fifty bucks, I'd have to see one in person and what the size/weight/feel in my hand are like. Under that amount I'd probably have been willing to just take a risk. Much above that amount and I'd walk away.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I own 6 of those pens. None fit your description and never did.

I'd say Platinum to have QC problems. My SF was awful - very dry and scratchy, my soft medium is like a dream. Tried some one else's fine 3776 yesterday and it was scratchy - when they got it they found it to be both dry and scratchy.

There's at least one thread on here of people complaining about the soft-fine nib, as that's where I found the information on what needed doing to mine, which now writes sweetly.

There's at least one thread on here of people complaining about the soft-fine nib, as that's where I found the information on what needed doing to mine, which now writes sweetly.

It's the Internet. You can find people complaining everywhere about anything.

~ Benjamin Franklin