The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Platinum Procyon New Model

platinum procyon slip and seal

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Olya

Olya

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:50

Platinum is releasing a new model - the PROCYON.

It has their famous slip & seal as well as a new feature: the ink inlet is further down, allowing for the pen to suck up ink without being fully imerged into the bottle, which means that it is easier to use up a bottle down to the last drop.

Imo Sailor kinda can do this already, as their pens fill from the breather hole....

They are supposed to cost 5000 Yen + tax.

I saw these news first here

https://www.reddit.c...atinum_procyon/

https://twitter.com/...888700514230272

https://twitter.com/...891259022774272

https://twitter.com/...896710166802434

https://twitter.com/...135698773434369

Edited by Olya, 20 July 2018 - 09:51.

Sponsored Content

#2 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:15

I read that on news feed also, Platinum also advertised that the nib is all new and " rival gold nib in softness " ... I am curious as to how the nib / feed mechanism all come together .. look kind of interesting

#3 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 13:07

That dark blue looks tempting to me and I am interested in the mechanism

Nib seems similar in shape with Lamy though...

#4 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:21

I'd be a bit more enthused if the pens themselves didn't look so remarkably pedestrian. 

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#5 parkergeo

parkergeo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:05

I'm sure they intended to name it after the bright star, but Procyon is also the scientific name for the raccoon genus (group), so that is what comes to my mind. 

They should sell a version with tail stripes on the cap...

#6 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 17:05

I hope the nib isn't as terribly 'feedbacky' bordering on scratchy and dry as the 3776.

Manufacturers should work on the the nib before adding different coloured barrels.

Of course, this is an entirely new pen. Let's hope for the best.

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,091 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 17:32

I hope the nib isn't as terribly 'feedbacky' bordering on scratchy and dry as the 3776.

I own 6 of those pens. None fit your description and never did.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#8 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 21:22

They should sell a version with tail stripes on the cap...

I think the stripes would work better on the butt end...

#9 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,462 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 23:45

Manufacturers should work on the the nib before adding different coloured barrels.

Of course, this is an entirely new pen. Let's hope for the best.

How many pens of this model do you own?  I have only one, and it is my smoothest, wettest pen, but a sample of one is obviously an insufficient basis for generalization.

#10 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 00:00

I think it has been generally known that the 3776 is a feedbacky pen, especially the finer nibs.

However, about it being scratchy is subjective because some could not tolerate the feedback it gives, me personally I don't really care for it's feedback and it is a well performing pen.

#11 peerless1

peerless1

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:35

I have a number of 3776 pens with newer and older (round breather hole) nibs. Nibs also come in two sizes 6.0 and 6.5mm. Have not  determined if the change in nib size coincided with the change in breather hole.

My largest nib is a MEDIUM. Smallest is an UF. The UF and FINE provides feedback. The MEDIUM does not. Might be due to my writing style. I also suspect Japanese nibs were designed to mostly write kanji and kana. It may be anecdotal that the newer model nibs provide more feedback. To me the older ones are much smoother and perform slightly better. BTW, the older nibs come with ebonite feeds. Again,  have not determined if the nibs and diameters wrre changed at the same time as ebonite feeds were phased out.

Suggestion: If you see any of the older models for sale, except for the plain Jane black, go for it. 

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

#12 Olya

Olya

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 14:45

In my experience Platinum nibs are the driest & toothiest (& therefore loudest) of the big 3 (gold & steel).

I thought tooth & scratchiness were similar, all until I got an Aurora with misaligned tines and learnt what a scratchy nib really is... :wacko:

#13 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:01

I do have and use a B Platinum nib right now. To me, these are probably the best modern nibs one can hope for. They do have feedback indeed: it feels like writing with a pencil, and this is delightful! But nowhere near scratchy or toothy... I do find Pilot nibs unpleasantly smooth, making them souless and preventing me of buying any (except for the lower tier of their lineup). I have never tried any of the 20 or 50 nibs though.

Edited by Namo, 22 July 2018 - 15:03.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#14 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:12

Anyone know what the price of the Procyon will be?  If they're inexpensive, I can see myself getting one -- they evoke the old Sheaffer No Nonsense pens.  

If, on the other hand, they're expensive, I'll pass. 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#15 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,191 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:35

Finally I see some honest reports from members Olya and Namo (and Peerless1), bravo :)

There is nothing wrong with feedback and tooth, but they must be reported accordingly to serve as a guide especially when many pens cannot be tested and purchases are made solely based on reviews and forum discussions.

#16 Olya

Olya

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:35

Anyone know what the price of the Procyon will be?  If they're inexpensive, I can see myself getting one -- they evoke the old Sheaffer No Nonsense pens.  

If, on the other hand, they're expensive, I'll pass. 

In Japan they're slotted to sell for 5000 Yen + tax, so somewhere around US $ 50 (I suppose this model is the competition to Sailor's Somiko/ Young Profit & Pilot's Lucina).

#17 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,191 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 15:37

I can imagine myself getting one.

#18 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 17:25

In Japan they're slotted to sell for 5000 Yen + tax, so somewhere around US $ 50 (I suppose this model is the competition to Sailor's Somiko/ Young Profit & Pilot's Lucina).

Thanks for the information.  For fifty bucks, I'd have to see one in person and what the size/weight/feel in my hand are like.  Under that amount I'd probably have been willing to just take a risk.  Much above that amount and I'd walk away.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#19 dapprman

dapprman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 19:07

I own 6 of those pens. None fit your description and never did.

I'd say Platinum to have QC problems.  My SF was awful - very dry and scratchy, my soft medium is like a dream.  Tried some one else's fine 3776 yesterday and it was scratchy - when they got it they found it to be both dry and scratchy.

There's at least one thread on here of people complaining about the soft-fine nib, as that's where I found the information on what needed doing to mine, which now writes sweetly.

London UK Fountain Pen Club meats at the Bierschenke near Liverpool St Station on the first Saturday of every month aside October (for the London Writing Equipment Show) 12:00-15:00 - London, UK Fountain Pen Club

#20 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,091 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 19:53

There's at least one thread on here of people complaining about the soft-fine nib, as that's where I found the information on what needed doing to mine, which now writes sweetly.

It's the Internet. You can find people complaining everywhere about anything.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, procyon, slip and seal

Sponsored Content

|