Typing Up A Story

BorisoftheStars

Hello, everyone. A few weeks ago, someone and I had made an agreement that I would write them a story. A week ago, I presented to them what I had completed for the story, and they were pleased. I continued to work on it and was almost done; unfortunately, I had forgotten there was supposed to be a build up of emotion between the two characters in the story. I informed the would be commissioner about the situation and that I will need to take longer on the story. Skip to today, and I am redoing the beginning while leaving the rest of the story intact. My problem is, I am now procrastinating and need help being focused. I close the tabs, but I just open up the tabs again.

What do you guys do to focus on your tasks you need to complete?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BorisoftheStars

• Fuzzy_Bear

• Charles Rice

• thesmellofdustafterrain

I find it amusing that I am reading your post while procrastinating on tasks of my own :P

To the chagrin of coffee shop owners everywhere, I like to plant myself at one of their establishments because having people and white noise around me helps me concentrate and makes me hesitate before goofing around.

After reading your post, I was thinking of going to the library to work on it, but then I'd end up embarrassed and procrastinate even more.

Before beginning the project or work again I would reward myself with my favorite coffee and dessert. Then break the project down in chunks I can more effectively deal with. Then reward myself with my favorite coffee and dessert.

In jobs where I had the power of delegation, I would give the project to someone else and buy them their favorite coffee and dessert.

I should give that a try! It does sound like it would be helpful to me. Perhaps brain food would work as well. I just need to figure out how to acquire the candy.

After reading your post, I was thinking of going to the library to work on it, but then I'd end up embarrassed and procrastinate even more.

Me too. I love working in the library. I am currently in a university city the library air is full of the sounds - keyboards, pen on paper and the smell of coffee. What better inspiration could there be?

Edited by Amory

Beats me. Maybe when I do my next story, I will go to the library to type it out.

I find the Pomodoro method can help me get started when I'm procrastinating. Basically, set a timer for 20 minutes and say you'll work on it for 20 minutes, then take a break and repeat for some number of reps. (very simplified explanation) Often, that's enough to get things going.

For me, procrastination can mean there's something I need to know that I don't know. There's something worrying me and I haven't acknowledged or identified it. Once I do that, I can learn what I need to learn and move forward.

Edited by vjones

I heard of that! I do not have a timer I can use, but it does sound like something useful. Maybe I can try combinng your and Studio's methods together!

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a little late (and you've probably finished now) but my creative writing tutor constantly reminded me that take 15 minutes to sit and write (by hand might make procrastination harder), set a timer.

When the timer goes off, get up, do something, get a coffee whatever. Then go back and do another 15 minutes.

It doesn't have to be 15 minutes by the way - can be any time.

The way I write my stories is all by hand then type up and edit as I go. Often what I handwrite doesn't sound right when I type up so I'll change and adapt but I get the initial framework down.

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~

• 2 months later...

Usually, once I make myself start, I can get involved in the process sufficiently to get to the end, or at least a natural stopping point. Like anything else, practice helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Put on some music (nothing you really like, just something simple - I personally use the Peaceful Piano playlist on Spotify for this), then try to think of a scene in your setting. Write down a few impressions/sentences about that scene. It doesn't have to be perfect, or rather: it shouldn't be. Try to get yourself immersed into the atmosphere of the place you are writing about, then start writing the actual scene.

At least that's what works for me most of the time.

• 1 month later...

That's a great idea! All these ideas are great, and I think I'll try them out the next time I type or write a story!

I find seeking analogue technology helps. If I have a computer on, then the internet calls me.

Most of the time I use my typewriter. Type during the day, edit with a fountain pen filled with pretty ink at night, then type the file into my senile laptop that forgot how to use the modem. USB memory stick from that to my real computer with functioning spellcheck.

Sometimes changing the medium helps. If I'm stuck on my typewriter, I brew a cuppa tea and grab my favourite pen and a big pile of paper. Sometimes I'll just write, other times, I'll do a mind map with all my ideas in words or drawings until the shape of the project becomes clear.

But for me, the essential thing is to seek out non-digital mediums to work in. I use digital to polish the finished work, but for creating and broader editing, my mind needs to avoid the distractions of the modern world. Oh, and music and wine are both helpful ingredients.

How's your project going?

petrichor