Looking For A Waterproof Dark Teal

KaB

Title says most of it. I'm looking for a dark teal, leaning towards the blue-black. It must be absolutely water-proof (I'll be using it to write labels for all kinds of herbal preparations, including lotions and alcohol-based products). And it should be safe to keep in a pen for a while (not staining, producing crud, ...) since I won't we writing 100 labels at a time :) . The writing will be with a 1.5 stubbed Lamy.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KaB

• Erik Dalton

• effrafax

• Karmachanic

Have you looked into Noodler's 54th Massachusetts?

It is a technically a blue-black but with strong leaning towards teal, though as with most of Nathan's formulations, each batch can be somewhat different of where it ends up color wise.

Categorized as a bulletproof ink, so definitely water & most everything proof.

I've found it pretty well behaved in all my pens, and not too much of a pain to clean out (other than from skin), and it is the only ink from the whole of the Noodler's series that I'd consider replenishing when I run out.

Some reviews in the forums:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/291077-noodlers-ink-54th-massachusetts/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/255965-noodlers-54-massachusetts/

Have you looked into Noodler's 54th Massachusetts?

It is a technically a blue-black but with strong leaning towards teal, though as with most of Nathan's formulations, each batch can be somewhat different of where it ends up color wise.

Categorized as a bulletproof ink, so definitely water & most everything proof.

I've found it pretty well behaved in all my pens, and not too much of a pain to clean out (other than from skin), and it is the only ink from the whole of the Noodler's series that I'd consider replenishing when I run out.

Some reviews in the forums:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/291077-noodlers-ink-54th-massachusetts/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/255965-noodlers-54-massachusetts/

Thanks for this first suggestion. Looks a little too gray on screen. But what it reminded me of: an extra requirement: easy to obtain in Europe (which is hardly the case for Noodlers, though I'd really like to add a Noodlers ink to my collection)

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Noodler's inks are available at Pure Pens, La Couronne du Comte, and some more European shops. I would not call 54th Massachusetts a dark ink, plus its behavior was a big disappointment for me.

KWZ IG Turquoise is far from waterproof.

Consider some Rohrer & Klingner inks. Salix (iron gall ink) is fairly dark, water washes the blue color, but the text remains perfectly legible. Frieda from the new Sketch Ink line (pigmented ink) is perfectly waterproof, but not so dark.

Sorry for another Noodler's recommendation, but based on vojtahlad's comment I assume they are possible to get in Europe. Noodler's inks are probably the easiest bet if you're looking for absolute waterproofness.

Have you checked out General of the Armies? It might not be teal enough, the online reviews look anywhere from green to blue, but it's permanent as can be.

Legal Lapis sounds like what you want. It is made by Noodlers for Pendemonium. Lots of recommendations here. It's been in my edc for years with no problems. Contact Pendemonium directly.

Sailor Sei Boku and Noodler's Prime of the Commons are as waterproof and steadfast as it gets for a fountain pen ink. Colourwise I prefer Sei Boku. It is more saturated, more tealish, with a slight sheen (whereas PoC is leaning on the green/grey). They both require pen cleanliness. They both behave well on the page (again, slight advantage to Sei Boku). I use them in Lamy Safari pens and while I've never seen crud some converter staining is possible.

Thanks for all the replies. Though I'd really like a Noodlers (as brand), The Sailor Sei-Boku would be my choice at this point.

I prefer Sei Boku. It is more saturated, more tealish, with a slight sheen (whereas PoC is leaning on the green/grey).

Thanks for that intell, I couldn't tell from looking at different reviews, it takes someone who uses both to know this.

If I wanted a *dark* teal that's absolutely unperturbed by water, I'd probably mix my own starting with DeAtramentis Document Inks in Dark Blue (or Blue or Cyan, I suppose) and Green and perhaps add a few drops of Black. All the Noodler's and iron gall Inks I'm familiar with that fall in this color range will run at least some if they get wet.

Thanks for all the replies. Though I'd really like a Noodlers (as brand), The Sailor Sei-Boku would be my choice at this point.

Sei Boku is awesome, and as long as the pen has a good seal and you don't leave it unused for months at a time, it'll be fine. :)

Having only recently discovered the joys of both its colour and behaviour, I can now wholeheartedly recommend Sei Boku :wub:

Seiboku is a good choice. Rohrer and Klinger have some document inks but no dark teal blue.

Catherine Van Hove

www.sakurafountainpengallery.com

Koning Albertstraat 72b - 3290 DIest - Belgium

Ive tried a couple cartridges of seiboku and found it too dry for regular use but maybe the cartridge pack I have is old. Ill have to try it again.

Noodler's Prime of the Commons; a UK ink available at Pure/Niche Pens here. Great ink!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Legal Lapis sounds like what you want. It is made by Noodlers for Pendemonium. Lots of recommendations here. It's been in my edc for years with no problems. Contact Pendemonium directly.

Yes, this is the ink to get. Contact them and see if they ship overseas. pendemonium@gmail.com

If I wanted a *dark* teal that's absolutely unperturbed by water, I'd probably mix my own starting with DeAtramentis Document Inks in Dark Blue (or Blue or Cyan, I suppose) and Green and perhaps add a few drops of Black. All the Noodler's and iron gall Inks I'm familiar with that fall in this color range will run at least some if they get wet.

You actually have positive experience mixing these inks?

In the past I would have suggested Noodler's Coral Sea, an Australian exclusive, which really is a dark teal. However, it's unobtanium now, and I'm eking out my last bottles ...

A good replacement, however, is Air-corps Blue-Black, which is a very similar colour. Slightly darker than Coral Sea, but definitely in the teal category as a green-leaning blue-black. Waterproof and partially bulletproof.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").