Inks That Write Like Diamine Midnight

minddance

I am extremely happy with Diamine Midnight because of the saturation and flow, and it always works for me, even in my driest pens. The line is always solid and covers the rough grains of cheap copier papers, giving a smooth look rather than jagged outlines.

I am not the biggest fan of shading and sheen. I understand this ink may not be for everyone: no ink is.

I am looking for similar flow properties and saturation. Any recommendation please? :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• welch

• minddance

• aardvarkbark

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

I am extremely happy with Diamine Midnight because of the saturation and flow, and it always works for me, even in my driest pens. The line is always solid and covers the rough grains of cheap copier papers, giving a smooth look rather than jagged outlines.

I am not the biggest fan of shading and sheen. I understand this ink may not be for everyone: no ink is.

I am looking for similar flow properties and saturation. Any recommendation please? :)

Diamine Midnight is a very good dark blue. I like it because it's not really blue-black in the sense of most blue-black inks.

Perhaps consider Diamine Regency Blue or Tchaikovsky. Two more very nice blues from Diamine that have good qualities.

Diamine Oxford Blue. Midnight and Oxford are very close.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I haven't used Midnight, but Denim behaves as you describe, so you might want to try that.

Are you looking for inks in colors other than dark blue/blue-black that behave like Midnight, or do you want something with a similar color?

Thank you very much to all who took time to weigh in :)

Denim is on my radar for a very long time but I am not sure if it writes like midnight.

I am ok with any colour, doesn't have to be midnight colour, doesn't have to be a blue, it could be red, orange, brown, grey, purple, green - anything! :) but it has to be like midnight properties: flow, and saturation. Anyone who used Midnight before would know what I am talking about :)

Midnight is so nice,feels velvety, it's a joy to write with.

Diamine Asa Blue is almost as smooth as midnight, as well as Diamine Matador.

Rohrer Klingner's Verdigris and Cassia feel slightly less smooth but still wetter than most inks I own.

And of course j. Herbin 1670 rouge hematite, lubricates every nib effortlessly, love its writing feel, but this ink is sparkly so it's another can of colors entirely.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Ah...should feel as good as Midnight, but not necessarily look like it. I've been pleased with several Diamine blue inks: Sapphire Blue, Imperial Blue, for two.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Ahhh.... Herbin's Bleu Ocean comes to mind. "Perfect" flow and landing on paper (IMO). And whats more, theres no sparkling sediment either (at least in my versions).

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

My choice would be Diamine Regency Blue, but it's more expensive than Midnight.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm impressed by Diamine Midnight as well.

Diamine Chocolate or Diamine Macassar if you're into dark browns (I especially like the Chocolate).

Diamine Oxblood if you'd like a burgundy-ish red.

Diamine Asa Blue for a lighter, *slightly* turquoise blue.

Diamine Denim for a subdued dark blue (neck-in-neck with Midnight for my favourite Diamine blue).

Diamine Graphite for a satisfyingly saturated gray - it really does look like a soft dark pencil.

Aurora Black, well, c'mon, because Aurora Black.

My own experience with Diamine Oxford Blue is that it's not quite up to snuff. The colour is fine (though it doesn't grab me as much as some other blues) and it flows well. It seems to feather a bit though and doesn't seem to lubricate as well. The net result is that even though it flows well, it feels a bit drier.