Love Your Carène? Talk Me Into One!

senzen

Thanks to everyone who contributed, finally got one at a decent price, of course just after I'd given up. It's stunningly beautiful, feels really solid, well balanced and the nib is very smooth.

191006071254821452.jpg

It lays down a lighter shade of ink than what I expected but it's early days, and a fine line, perhaps a little thicker than my Man 100 F, while I was expecting something way thicker. I did use the "return five drops of ink back to the bottle" trick I learned on FPN. Capping seems to be a little violent as it seems to produce a couple of droplets on the nib, not something I care about.

The only strange thing is that the decoration at the end of the body doesn't line up with the nib, which is a small detail, not enough for me to return the pen after all the time I waited for it. Yipeee!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• thx1138

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tighten or loosen the section nut to align the stern Tassie.

Thanks, did that and it worked.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks to everyone who contributed, finally got one at a decent price, of course just after I'd given up. It's stunningly beautiful, feels really solid, well balanced and the nib is very smooth.

191006071254821452.jpg

It lays down a lighter shade of ink than what I expected but it's early days, and a fine line, perhaps a little thicker than my Man 100 F, while I was expecting something way thicker. I did use the "return five drops of ink back to the bottle" trick I learned on FPN. Capping seems to be a little violent as it seems to produce a couple of droplets on the nib, not something I care about.

The only strange thing is that the decoration at the end of the body doesn't line up with the nib, which is a small detail, not enough for me to return the pen after all the time I waited for it. Yipeee!

You'll have to adjust the collar above the threads. There's probably a little nub that fits into a channel on the removable threads. Pull the threads all the way off, turn them over and install them upside down, That'll let you tighten up the collar and lock the threads into whatever position you want. It's a frustrating case of trial and error, but I've done it successfully for 4 fountain pens and one rollerball.

You'll have to adjust the collar above the threads. There's probably a little nub that fits into a channel on the removable threads. Pull the threads all the way off, turn them over and install them upside down, That'll let you tighten up the collar and lock the threads into whatever position you want. It's a frustrating case of trial and error, but I've done it successfully for 4 fountain pens and one rollerball.

Thank you! Somehow that seems to have done it, without having to tighten so much. I also watched sbrebrown's video attempt at dismantling it, I'm actually glad that it can't be done, one less thing for me to mess up.

Can't stop oggling at this thing, I really appreciate my other pens but it makes them seem so pedestrian, with the possible exception of the pearwood Ambition.

B. Russell

Thank you! Somehow that seems to have done it, without having to tighten so much. I also watched sbrebrown's video attempt at dismantling it, I'm actually glad that it can't be done, one less thing for me to mess up.

Can't stop oggling at this thing, I really appreciate my other pens but it makes them seem so pedestrian, with the possible exception of the pearwood Ambition.

Glad to hear it! It's a classy pen for sure. I have two Black Seas fountain pens. I was going to sell one but I ruined the section trying to seal the "horns". So now it's a beautiful beater pen. Which I kind of like because I can do what I want with it and know that I've got a pristine example locked away at home. Different nib sizes of course.

I also have one Contemporary Gunmetal fountain pen and matching rollerball. I take the rollerball into meetings with me sometimes when I think I might need a lot of cap-off time. I also use it when I got to special occasions like a wedding to sign the guest book etc. The pen always gets compliments. Never fails. And yeah, sometimes I like to take it out and just look at it.

Something I have brought up before when discussing this adjustment assembly. Be very careful when reversing the floating thread I.e. placing the tab outermost. When the ft is hard up against the buffer ring the tab falls into the section thread undercut. When it does that it rotates...if that happens when screwed into the barrel you just might not be able to get them apart. Its better to assemble tab first.

And then there were two... Wasn't looking for this colour or nib size but the price was (unbelievably low and) too good to pass; the supplied converter didn't want to play ball, luckily I had another one; tried with Aonibi, came out really pale and the nib while smooth seemed to want to cling to paper... It's a very special ink so not a big drama; Bleu Austral came out very green, which I dislike, trying with Ambre de Baltique.

19101410002624960416462103.jpg

The medium nib is... A medium, I was expecting something with paint brush sizing; so good suprise. The gunmetal finish is not as gaudy as I thought.

19101405001324960416461565.jpg

Edited by SenZen

B. Russell

Post moved to Repairs.

Edited by Braxfield

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

My husband just bought me the Black Sea for my birthday. Very nice pen. I love the weight and balance. The nib (medium) writes very smoothly. This is definitely a keeper.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

My husband just bought me the Black Sea for my birthday. Very nice pen. I love the weight and balance. The nib (medium) writes very smoothly. This is definitely a keeper.

What a great gift! Enjoy, very special pen, my two are now inked with Asa Gao, as with other pens they seem to get even smoother through normal use. The red one looks spiffy, even though I like pens to be bicoloured at most, and it's cheap on Amazon via Amazon UK; shouldn't even be thinking of new pens with three arrivals in a month but still...

B. Russell

I bought a black barrel, a black cap and held them as spares, but later I ended up with a spare section, and put them together to make a black pen. It is the Carene I use. It is somehow more comfortable to use this one. Buying this in parts cost $149..

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

In the last week or so I took delivery of a sea green ball pen, pencil and fountain pen. The FP is a medium and although used, it is in mint condition. Super smooth and just the right amount of flow.

It is hard to decide which is better, amber or sea green, but I think, for me, amber just wins.

• 3 months later...

In the last week or so I took delivery of a sea green ball pen, pencil and fountain pen. The FP is a medium and although used, it is in mint condition. Super smooth and just the right amount of flow.

It is hard to decide which is better, amber or sea green, but I think, for me, amber just wins.

Do you mean the shimmer green finish Sea Garden? If so, I had that one and liked it, but it was a cool color and I like the Amber Marine better, it is a warmer color.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.