The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Love Your Carčne? Talk Me Into One!

waterman carčne ink

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2018 - 20:17

The Carene is the pen that made me really like extra fine nibs.  The Carene's extra fine nib is very smooth and probably somewhat on the wet side of extra fine.  I like these pens, and I think the Amber Marine and the Sea Garden are the two most beautiful pen finishes I have seen. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

#42 thx1138

thx1138

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2018 - 16:50

So, did you manage to avoid buying one?

#43 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 19:47

I did, just bought a phone for my dad, but I have few doubts about the Carène. Thanks for asking and to everyone who contributed!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#44 thx1138

thx1138

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:17

Lucky escape for you then.

My one became at least six, fast, very very fast.

#45 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,813 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 16:03

Lucky escape for you then.

My one became at least six, fast, very very fast.

Hehe, seems like a temporary escape, but I have to admit I got another Pelikan I didn't really have the budget for before I got this gift card. The marine amber looks very nice but if and when I get it it will probably be a black Carène with silver accents with a fine nib, mostly because I like sections the same colour as the rest of the pen; and a trouble free ink, so not Rouge Hematite, Orange Indien or Équinoxe 6. Maybe get Kyo No Oto Hisoku for it :rolleyes: .

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#46 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 17:14

I managed to pick up a rather nice black Carene a week or so on eBay, with box and papers for a reasonable price.  But sadly found out very quickly that it leaks.  Only when full (cartridge or convertor).  As I speak, it's on it's way to France for 'evaluation'.  It's a ten year old pen, so I'm expecting to have to pay something for repair or replacement, but we shall see....  The shame is that it's my fourth Carene - the previous three were sold on as I didn't get on with the nibs, but this one is rather good.  

#47 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 17:35

I managed to pick up a rather nice black Carene a week or so on eBay, with box and papers for a reasonable price.  But sadly found out very quickly that it leaks.  Only when full (cartridge or convertor).  As I speak, it's on it's way to France for 'evaluation'.  It's a ten year old pen, so I'm expecting to have to pay something for repair or replacement, but we shall see....  The shame is that it's my fourth Carene - the previous three were sold on as I didn't get on with the nibs, but this one is rather good.  

Gosh, you are 30 minutes from me I would have taken a gander at no cost.

#48 brownargus

brownargus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 19:00

With all these comments, I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned ink creep problems. I have two Carenes and both have excellent fine nibs, smooth with good flow. But they are the messiest pens I have. Both have creep of ink at the horns of the nib and also when left unused for a couple of days, nib up, they tend to leak ink onto the section and inside the cap so need cleaning before use. These problems are more prone to occur when the pens have just been filled and I have found no way of eliminating the problem. These 'ink' problems are the same whether using Waterman or Diamine inks Cartridge or converter. They are a beautiful pen, good to hold, very smooth nibs (fine in my case), good flow and well balanced. Without the ink problems I would give them five stars, but three stars is the best I can go. I tend not to use them because of these problems. Any solution suggestions appreciated!

Edited by brownargus, 04 August 2018 - 19:02.

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

#49 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 19:01

I love it when force gets all worked up and starts spilling out Carene facts and fixes. Always learn something new.
By the way if you don’t own a Carene, you should experience it once in your life. They are special.

#50 miel

miel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 20:01

What colors do you have?

Sorry, that I answer that late.

I am not that familiar with the names, because I did buy most of my Carenes second hand ... but I give it a try:

Soft Violet (ST)

Grey (ST)

Abyss Blue (GT)

Contemporary White and Gunmetal

Deluxe (Black)

I think these are the (nearly) right names for the colors.

With all these comments, I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned ink creep problems.

I don't have these problems.

The only thing I learned: Never have the converter totally full. You need to put 1 or 2 drops back in the bottle and then put the converter back. Otherwise you will find ink in the cap. (I only use converters - never cartridges.)

Plus: In summer - now with this heat here - I do find ink in the cap sometimes when I take the pens with me to the office. My Lamy 2Ks don't show this, but the Carenes.

But I never ever had nib creep when I did not use a pen for a week or longer and they always start perfectly.

Edited by miel, 04 August 2018 - 20:02.

#51 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:39

I have black/gold furniture in medium, blue/gold in extra fine and amber marine in fine.  I sold the sea garden with a broad nib.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#52 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 6,297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:48

I love it when force gets all worked up and starts spilling out Carene facts and fixes. Always learn something new.
By the way if you dont own a Carene, you should experience it once in your life. They are special.

I like to think of it as passion.

Yes we know from other topics the horns can seep ink and can be fixed with a dab of shellac.

You also have to learn to keep pinkies away from any nib cos surprisingly they all see inky.

As stated above there is a known, documented, method for filling the Carene to ensure minimal leakage.

Miel:
Soft = Royal Violet
Grey = Charcoal

#53 miel

miel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:39

Thank you Force for your help with the names. Much appreciated!

#54 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 6,297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:08

Thank you Force for your help with the names. Much appreciated!

The Royal Violet was primarily in a matt or silk finish but I had a set FP & BP, now sold, which had a gloss finish.

DSC_0422b.JPG

DSCN9579.JPG

#55 miel

miel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:03

Thank you for the pictures.

Mine is matt and unfortunately there are some dings on the cap. But this does not influence the wonderful writing experience with the stub nib.

#56 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:12

With all these comments, I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned ink creep problems. I have two Carenes and both have excellent fine nibs, smooth with good flow. But they are the messiest pens I have. Both have creep of ink at the horns of the nib and also when left unused for a couple of days, nib up, they tend to leak ink onto the section and inside the cap so need cleaning before use. These problems are more prone to occur when the pens have just been filled and I have found no way of eliminating the problem. These 'ink' problems are the same whether using Waterman or Diamine inks Cartridge or converter. They are a beautiful pen, good to hold, very smooth nibs (fine in my case), good flow and well balanced. Without the ink problems I would give them five stars, but three stars is the best I can go. I tend not to use them because of these problems. Any solution suggestions appreciated!

I've used Aurora Black, Diamine Graphite, Pilot Namiki Blue, Iroshizuku Asa Gao, and Waterman Serenity Blue in my fine nib Carene, and never had any creep problems.

So I don't think it's a universal problem.

Or maybe I got lucky.

#57 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 6,297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:00

As far as I am aware the adhesive (which we now know is not epoxy :-) ) is applied by hand and the nib assembled the same.

Being a manual transaction, the amount of adhesive can (must) vary.

For example, if my wife applies butter to the bread for sandwiches you can hardly tell it's there, whereas if I apply it you do know it's there.

So we must assume it is not a universal problem both nibs and sandwiches.

#58 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 6,297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:53

Sometimes they talk to you...here I am please buy me now for BIN £66

It was slotted in between an infestation or Phili for £99 each.

TalkToMe.jpg

#59 Markol

Markol

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:29

Very nice pen. I like old versions od Deluxe (Green and Prussian Blue), but they are almost unavailable and if they appear sometimes, their price is unfortunately too high for me. I had one Carene (Black CT), but it was lost when I changed my work :(.

Now I'm thinking of one like this above or amber version (or both ;) ).

#60 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,813 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 16:09

Sometimes they talk to you...here I am please buy me now for BIN £66

It was slotted in between an infestation or Phili for £99 each.

attachicon.gif TalkToMe.jpg

Congratulations, great find! Too much bling for me, but wouldn't have said no at that price. A couple of years ago Amazon had an Amber for $80... Still kicking myself.

B. Russell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, carčne, ink

Sponsored Content

|