Love Your Carène? Talk Me Into One!

senzen

I really would NOT use epoxy. Those nibs are supposed to be exchangeable by Waterman if you want a different size. Epoxies can be dissolved but you need pretty savage chemistry (boiling hydrogen peroxide) that is likely to damage the pen. Use a thread locking compound that will soften with a small touch of heat or super glue that will dissolve in acetone. Even shellac would be safer (dissolves in alcohol).

My Carene arrived yesterday and I was enjoying it all last night while I watched the Tour de France stage (UTC+8 has its uses). Because I filled the converter from a syringe it took a far bit of ink to get the section loaded to the point where it would write. I found I needed to hold it a bit more upright than some of my other pens to hit the sweet spot but not onerously so. The medium nib lays down a good line (I will not be using this one to do sudoku) and it writes fine on cheap writing pad paper with the Private Reserve Plum that I have loaded. On Rhodia it might be a bit too wet with that ink but the broad nib Carene's that I tested wrote fine on Rhodia with a different ink.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• thx1138

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really would NOT use epoxy. Those nibs are supposed to be exchangeable by Waterman if you want a different size. Epoxies can be dissolved but you need pretty savage chemistry (boiling hydrogen peroxide) that is likely to damage the pen. Use a thread locking compound that will soften with a small touch of heat or super glue that will dissolve in acetone. Even shellac would be safer (dissolves in alcohol).

Why would a section be returned to Waterman for exchange if it's nib had been removed by the owner. The only reason the nib would be removed would be the repair damage and that would be immediately picked up by a technician. Only a minuscule quantity is used which I suspect would easily break away from the two unprimed surfaces.

Herewith a nib showing the original adhesive.

The air bubble inclusion leads me to think they use a 2 part epoxy.

post-42786-0-78137000-1531898087_thumb.jpg post-42786-0-90246700-1531898107_thumb.jpg

Ref how it fits.

The nib slots in between the upper lip and the feed below.

post-42786-0-36481400-1531898390_thumb.jpg

Clearer picture of the hump on the feed

post-42786-0-47040600-1531898552_thumb.jpg

Waterman offer a nib exchange program for different size nibs and they prefer you return the pen to them to do the exchange.

If your amount of epoxy was small it may be alright but unless you plan on destroying the pen or taking it to the grave with you you may have left a booby-trap for the next owner. I would at least have tested the properties of the old adhesive before jumping to the conclusion that it was 2 part epoxy.

Waterman offer a nib exchange program for different size nibs and they prefer you return the pen to them to do the exchange.

If your amount of epoxy was small it may be alright but unless you plan on destroying the pen or taking it to the grave with you you may have left a booby-trap for the next owner. I would at least have tested the properties of the old adhesive before jumping to the conclusion that it was 2 part epoxy.

I don't sell pens or sections that I have repaired.

I certainly don't send repaired pens to Waterman for nib exchanges because they would know immediately it had been worked on.

I see no issues using epoxy with pens that I will never part with.

I have informed those that need to know which pens to discard when I depart this world.

Yous is getting paranoid about epoxy.

Can I ask, have you removed and replaced a Carene nib ?

Meh.

Just don't give unqualified advice that could damage other peoples pens if they follow it without knowing the limitations.

No, I haven't replaced any Carene nibs but I do know epoxy resins and think you are giving advice that may cause an unsuspecting person who doesn't know epoxy resins do do something they might regret.

Thank you for your valued advice.

To all others, I can assure you standard twin pack 24 hour epoxy will not damage your Carene section and I would definitely not use the suggested super glue.

But then again what do I know about Carenes.

post-42786-0-58499600-1531920727_thumb.jpg

Thank goodness our UK temperature has dropped back to 20c.

Meh.

Just don't give unqualified advice that could damage other peoples pens if they follow it without knowing the limitations.

No, I haven't replaced any Carene nibs but I do know epoxy resins and think you are giving advice that may cause an unsuspecting person who doesn't know epoxy resins do do something they might regret.

I think Force, of all people, is qualified to give advice on Carenes.

I may have to pick one of these up after all this conversation... I do wish that some of the colors were easier to find...

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

I think Force, of all people, is qualified to give advice on Carenes.

I may have to pick one of these up after all this conversation... I do wish that some of the colors were easier to find...

Thanks.

I feel that Waterman have lost their way with Carene colours along with other models.

We used to have Vivid Blue, Abyss Blue, Coral, Violet, Aquamarine, etc. While many were only available with CT/ST they looked fantastic. I did a post a while back on some ideas but alas Waterman did not get back to me.

If y7ou have a fairly costly pen, like a Carene, and the nib comes off, and if you are inexperienced with pen repair, trying to fix the pen with anything is an at your own risk proposition. The learning curve to experience can be painful and costly. If you use anything to adhere a part without some testing on junk material first, you are in the Undiscovered Country. If you want your Carene nib to hold until the next time it comes off for replacement or until it just comes off, send it to Waterman. If you want it to stay on and you won't take it off ever, use the epoxy. If you repair your own pens, you are assuming the risk, no matter what you use, and if someone offers advice and you don't ask about possible drawbacks to taking that action, it's your own fault.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I really think Steve misunderstood my use of epoxy in that he thought I would be selling a related pen on and that a buyer might be unaware and send the pen to Waterman. We all know that Araldite (2 part epoxy) has been used for 50 years on plastic and gold parts. It's getting unnecessarily out of hand.

Thanks.

I feel that Waterman have lost their way with Carene colours along with other models.

We used to have Vivid Blue, Abyss Blue, Coral, Violet, Aquamarine, etc. While many were only available with CT/ST they looked fantastic. I did a post a while back on some ideas but alas Waterman did not get back to me.

I love love love the coral but I don't think it is worth the premium price now that it is discontinued.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

Thanks.

Most definitely! Why don't they follow Pelikan's lead and reintroduce some of the much-loved old colours? I'd be a buyer!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

How fine is the Carene EF? I'm looking for something equivalent to a Pilot steel M, and oddly, gold nibs seem to run broad for me. I've a gold Pilot e95s M as broad as a Western M, for example.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

I do have a fine nib for my Carenes and it writes quite thin lines. Thinner than my Pilot Custom Heritage Soft Fine and thinner than the Lamy 200 Fine I do own.

And yes: I am addicted by my (now) 5 Carenes. I love the stubs (do have 2) and I do love the the oblique broads (do have 2) and the oblique fine is also wonderful. My (spare) fine and medium sections don't see any use anymore.

And I know, sooner or later the next one will arrive ;-)

I do have a fine nib for my Carenes and it writes quite thin lines. Thinner than my Pilot Custom Heritage Soft Fine and thinner than the Lamy 200 Fine I do own.

And yes: I am addicted by my (now) 5 Carenes. I love the stubs (do have 2) and I do love the the oblique broads (do have 2) and the oblique fine is also wonderful. My (spare) fine and medium sections don't see any use anymore.

And I know, sooner or later the next one will arrive ;-)

What colors do you have?

"Why me?"
"Yes."

I've had a Blue Obsession Carene for a couple of years now, and I consider it one of my very favorite pens. It's definitely among my most beautiful. It looks classy and stylish, and definitely makes me look v. professional and serious at work or seminars.

I currently don't have it inked, but that's a rarity. I usually have it in the pen cup on my desk so that it's close at hand. It's summer, though, and I'm playing with some new pens, so it's taking a much-deserved break for a few weeks.

I've had zero reliability issues with my Carene, and it writes beautifully, anytime I pick it up and use it, even if I haven't written with it a couple of days. Of course, the nib is a nail for an 18K, because it's inlaid, with almost no flex at all. But it makes up for that with how smooth the writing experience is, even in the fine version that I have. I find that the weight of the pen is perfectly balanced, even posted, although I usually don't post pens. It does have some heft to it, which some people might find tiring if they're not used to a metal pen, but I've never had that problem.

I've almost always kept Waterman ink (Serenity Blue and Intense Black) in it, but I have flirted sometimes with Aurora Black, Pilot Namiki Blue, Pilot Iro Tsuki-yo and Asa-Gao. For fun, once, I put Diamine Graphite in it, to play a practical joke on a math professor, who was shocked that my calculus homework was done in ink, and he hadn't been able to tell that it wasn't pencil!. Anyway, all of those inks have worked tremendously well in it. I've considered loading some of my other inks in it, but since I usually have it as my "write everything" pen on my desk, I tend to keep it inked with "workhorse" inks/colors. It cleans out remarkably easily and I've never once had a clogging issue with it.

Whether or not the pen is good or worth the cost to you, I can't say, but, for me, I love mine and have never once regretted buying it. And I paid quite a bit more than it sounds like you will.

I've had a Blue Obsession Carene for a couple of years now, and I consider it one of my very favorite pens. It's definitely among my most beautiful. It looks classy and stylish, and definitely makes me look v. professional and serious at work or seminars.

I currently don't have it inked, but that's a rarity. I usually have it in the pen cup on my desk so that it's close at hand. It's summer, though, and I'm playing with some new pens, so it's taking a much-deserved break for a few weeks.

I've had zero reliability issues with my Carene, and it writes beautifully, anytime I pick it up and use it, even if I haven't written with it a couple of days. Of course, the nib is a nail for an 18K, because it's inlaid, with almost no flex at all. But it makes up for that with how smooth the writing experience is, even in the fine version that I have. I find that the weight of the pen is perfectly balanced, even posted, although I usually don't post pens. It does have some heft to it, which some people might find tiring if they're not used to a metal pen, but I've never had that problem.

I've almost always kept Waterman ink (Serenity Blue and Intense Black) in it, but I have flirted sometimes with Aurora Black, Pilot Namiki Blue, Pilot Iro Tsuki-yo and Asa-Gao. For fun, once, I put Diamine Graphite in it, to play a practical joke on a math professor, who was shocked that my calculus homework was done in ink, and he hadn't been able to tell that it wasn't pencil!. Anyway, all of those inks have worked tremendously well in it. I've considered loading some of my other inks in it, but since I usually have it as my "write everything" pen on my desk, I tend to keep it inked with "workhorse" inks/colors. It cleans out remarkably easily and I've never once had a clogging issue with it.

Whether or not the pen is good or worth the cost to you, I can't say, but, for me, I love mine and have never once regretted buying it. And I paid quite a bit more than it sounds like you will.

Thanks, that's a great description of your experience. How would you say inks come out? Wet / fully saturated or dryer / pale? As much as I appreciate this pen, the big question for me is which ink to use with it. Do inks gradually become darker (i.e. the pen evaporates) or do they remain the same?

Right now the best candidate would be Jacques Herbin Bleu Austral, which is looking ok on a Lamy Vista but does eventually become darker, although it doesn't seem like a particularly fussy ink.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that's a great description of your experience. How would you say inks come out? Wet / fully saturated or dryer / pale? As much as I appreciate this pen, the big question for me is which ink to use with it. Do inks gradually become darker (i.e. the pen evaporates) or do they remain the same?

Right now the best candidate would be Jacques Herbin Bleu Austral, which is looking ok on a Lamy Vista but does eventually become darker, although it doesn't seem like a particularly fussy ink.

I think the inks perform the same in this pen as they do in most of the ink tests you'll see. Ink is usually ink. Waterman doesn't tend to do anything that will affect that.

As for how wet the inks are, mine is a fine, so it's not as wet as some Watermans I've used in the past. But it's definitely wet for a fine nib. Just like my Waterman Hemisphere medium has been a wet writer for an M nib. That's been typical of my Waterman experience over the years. They make wettish-writing pens, but that's why I like them. What's the sense of writing with a fountain pen if it's a scratchy or draggy experience? I can get that with an ordinary ballpoint pen. Ugh. Why bother?

As for inks to use with a Carene, that is very much a matter of personal preference. And if that's not enough, I don't tend to use dry inks or absorbent paper, so I'm really a terrible person to ask about something like that. I've also never used a J Herbin ink in my Carene, so I can't say how it would perform. My Carene has mostly been a workhorse pen that I've used to take notes and tests in college, compose important correspondence, and other "boring" tasks, so it's had workhorse inks in it. That's the only experience I can speak to.

What I can say is that I've made it a personal policy NOT to use BSB, shimmer, iron gall, carbon or pigment inks in my Carene, because I worry about what would happen with them in an inlaid nib that is housed in a unit I'm not qualified to take apart to clean. I definitely don't want to use one of those inks and wind up with a destroyed nib, when replacement nib units cost almost as much as my pen did. That's why I use standard dye inks that I can clean easily with some water.

Other than that, I wouldn't sweat what ink to use in your Carene. It's not a fragile pen, so it can handle all the standard brands of ink. Beyond that, it's all personal preference, and only you can decide that. So get the pen if you really like it (you do or you don't), and then have fun with inks.

You know, maybe I'll put a crazy color in my Carene when I break it out again, something completely frivolous like Apache Sunset or Emily Dickinson Posie. Maybe my Carene would like to play for a change!

But it's definitely wet for a fine nib.

Thanks, that seems to confirm the consensus: a wet pen. Ink is ink, but some look better to me lighter than more saturated, even if I appreciate smoothness and good flow; in particular Asa Gao, Kon Peki, Verdigris. Again, this is a personal preference, Tsuyu Kusa does better with a wet pen, but it already has found its home in a Sailor Pro Gear.

The Carène would probably be the last pen I buy, mostly because I've reached the limit of desirable inks, of course this is what I thought six months ago and I've already got three more pens :lticaptd: . Strangely I still haven't burned through my Amazon gift card but on this occasion I will probably use it to give someone else something they really need, rather than get a Carène for myself... But it's definitely next on my list.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell