Love Your Carène? Talk Me Into One!

senzen

I find myself in the unusual situation of having received an Amazon (US) gift card, which covers the cost of a Carène, about $165 with rhodium trim with a fine nib, but not pouncing on the opportunity. I seem to have reached the limit of inks I am happy with (about 22) and corresponding pens, so what three inks ago would have been a natural jump... Is no longer there :( . I do see the Carène as a grail pen but my main interest is seeing inks in their full glory, many of my pens seem to be so wet their inks come out very dark and boring, so I've had to resort to extreme measures which I would not attempt with this pen and its inlaid nib; all my inks do currently look really nice.

So if you love your Carène what is it that would make it an obvious or strong choice?

What I like from what I've read:

• Unique design.
  • Comfortable.
  • Smooth.

What doesn't seem that nice:

• Any reliability issues? My le Man 100 has always worked well but a Laureat invariably burped all its ink onto the cap, so I'm not exactly a Waterman fan.

Current pens:

Cheap but decent: 4x Muji, 7 x Vista, 1 Metropolitan, 1 Penmanship, 1 Sport.

Nice even if sometimes quirky: 2 x Sonnet, 2 (another on the way) x Studio, 1 Ambition, 1 Le Man 100, 1 Pro Gear, 1 m600, 2x m205.

If you don't see the point of this post which is half in jest, "only you know", "I would never buy sight unseen", "get 165 Chinese pens", please refrain from souring everyone else's day ;) .

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• thx1138

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very tactile, either Marine Amber, Sea Garden (discontinued but occasionally available elsewhere) or Black Sea with medium or fine nib and Serenite Blue ink.

Very tactile, either Marine Amber, Sea Garden or Black Sea with medium or fine nib and Serenite Blue ink.

Thank you!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I had an opportunity to try a couple of Carenes at the local meet-up a couple of weeks ago. They compared very well to a Lamy 2000, some Platinum 3776s and a Parker 51 all in the same broad nib size. I impressed me enough to order a second hand one (modern issue) online. The older models with the section the same color as the barrel are much nicer looking to my eye but less readily available. But then I like the sleek integrated look of the nib section so that is a major selling point for me YMMD.

I love my Carene. It's a medium but writes fairly broad and wet. Almost a little bit stubby, which I like.
I'm just getting into pens so it's my only expensive pen which I suppose doesn't give it too much to compare it to (Lamy Safari, Lamy Studio and Parker Vectors, a leaky monteverdi, and a vintage 1929 Waterman which I'm dipping with until I get repaired)
I've had it about 4 years though, and used it to write all the notes I made during my medical degree (typing stuff out doesn't make it go into my head like writing it out does). Hasn't let me down!
It certainly is comfortable and smooth and reliable. Definitely prefer it to the studio, although I like the studio a lot but...differently!
I went black with gold trim because student budget and amazon offer.
I'm sure you need one in your pen collection!

The Marine Amber finish is stunning! They are a sensible size, comfortable to use, oh and the nib performs really well. If you buy new you can get the nib exchanged for the size you want - including a very nice stub.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I have one in Amber shimmer and it is beautiful. The nib runs a little wide for the size and it is a real nail, probably the stiffest nib I own. All that said I do like it but it hasn't had a lot of desk time.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Congrats for your prospect of the Amazon gift card!

I'd say: Get the Carène! From the pens you already own you will definitely feel that this is a huge step up as it is substantial, oozes build quality and is an amazing writer.

I owned one for some weeks and really liked it, before I gave it away to a close friend who looooved it, still does.

The Carène is comparable to the Lamy 2000, as mentioned above, I find it solid, if not heavy, but comfortable even though I normally prefer smaller pens. The one thin you should not expect and try to squeeze out is any form of line variation. Those inlaid nibs are rarely made for that. Otherwise you cannot go wrong with it. Get one! :P

I had an opportunity to try a couple of Carenes at the local meet-up a couple of weeks ago. They compared very well to a Lamy 2000, some Platinum 3776s and a Parker 51 all in the same broad nib size. I impressed me enough to order a second hand one (modern issue) online. The older models with the section the same color as the barrel are much nicer looking to my eye but less readily available. But then I like the sleek integrated look of the nib section so that is a major selling point for me YMMD.

Thanls! Yes, the nib looks awesome, and sections have to be the same colour as the rest... Mind you I'm limited to whatever's available on Amazon, so that means black with rhodium trim.

B. Russell

I love my Carene. It's a medium but writes fairly broad and wet. Almost a little bit stubby, which I like.

I'm just getting into pens so it's my only expensive pen which I suppose doesn't give it too much to compare it to (Lamy Safari, Lamy Studio and Parker Vectors, a leaky monteverdi, and a vintage 1929 Waterman which I'm dipping with until I get repaired)

I've had it about 4 years though, and used it to write all the notes I made during my medical degree (typing stuff out doesn't make it go into my head like writing it out does). Hasn't let me down!

It certainly is comfortable and smooth and reliable. Definitely prefer it to the studio, although I like the studio a lot but...differently!

I went black with gold trim because student budget and amazon offer.

I'm sure you need one in your pen collection!

Thanks! Good reliability endorsement that.

B. Russell

The Marine Amber finish is stunning! They are a sensible size, comfortable to use, oh and the nib performs really well. If you buy new you can get the nib exchanged for the size you want - including a very nice stub.

Thank you!

B. Russell

I have one in Amber shimmer and it is beautiful. The nib runs a little wide for the size and it is a real nail, probably the stiffest nib I own. All that said I do like it but it hasn't had a lot of desk time.

Thanks!

B. Russell

Congrats for your prospect of the Amazon gift card!

I'd say: Get the Carène! From the pens you already own you will definitely feel that this is a huge step up as it is substantial, oozes build quality and is an amazing writer.

I owned one for some weeks and really liked it, before I gave it away to a close friend who looooved it, still does.

The Carène is comparable to the Lamy 2000, as mentioned above, I find it solid, if not heavy, but comfortable even though I normally prefer smaller pens. The one thin you should not expect and try to squeeze out is any form of line variation. Those inlaid nibs are rarely made for that. Otherwise you cannot go wrong with it. Get one! :P

Thank you! I don't look for or expect any line variation, so not a problem; it's most enjoyable when they sort of float on a micro bubble of ink. I waited to see if anything cropped up on Amazon Prime Day, but nothing has.

B. Russell

Do not buy a Carene under any circumstances.

Avoid at all costs.

Do not handle one, even to just test it.

Especially the Amber version. The amber has this appalling translucence and shimmer depending on the lighting. Never quite looks the same from one day to the next. It has an apparent depth to the finish which is slightly mesmerising.

I bought just one a few months ago and I have about 8 already. Two FP (medium and broad), 3 BP, and 2 or 3 RB.

All but one are Amber (one sea black roller ball).

Edited by thx1138

I seem to recall reading about some quality concerns in the longterm with these. Something about the nibs "horns" being held on with adhesive and once this adhesive wears for a few years, the horns begin leaking. I could very well be dreaming it up, but I could swear I read somewhere that Ron Zorn says they are nearly impossible to fix once the adhesive gives out. I've went back and forth on getting a Carene many times and the horn leakage always scares me away. I particularly enjoy the gunmetal finishes and the ombres et lumieres one.

Edited by Kodiac136

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

I hate to diss anyone's comment but that is scaremongering.

Yes some do seep ink but if you keep fingers away there is no problem...which is the same with most nibs.

There is a cheap simple fix. Clean the section and dry it completely for a day or so. Using a pin dab a drop of shellac around the horn joints and again let it dry for 24 hours.

I hate to comment on a RZ comment but that is scaremongering. Yes some do seep ink but if you keep fingers away there is no problem. Thee is also a cheap simple fix. Clean the section and dry it completely for a day or so. Using a pin dab a drop of shellac around the horn joints and again let it dry for 24 hours.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, don't quote me on the RZ thing as I can't seem to find the comment and I have been known to dream things up from time to time (ask my wife :D). Is this adhesive the only thing that holds the nib to the section or is the plastic molded around these at all? I've used quite a few Sheaffer inlaids and I'm curious how these compare.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, don't quote me on the RZ thing as I can't seem to find the comment and I have been known to dream things up from time to time (ask my wife :D). Is this adhesive the only thing that holds the nib to the section or is the plastic molded around these at all? I've used quite a few Sheaffer inlaids and I'm curious how these compare.

The nib is the last item to be placed during assembly.

Waterman use an epoxy of sorts but the specific type is not known. I asked them but they declined to provide the spec.

The nib slots in under an overhanging lip and then pushes rearward to its final position. In theory it is well retained without adhesive.

Of late, on my own pens with damaged nibs which I have managed to straighten, I use 24 hour twin pack epoxy which works well.

We must get away from the thought/rumour that Carene nibs, from the factory, are a problem...they are not. I have purchased Carene pens (ni on 100) covering the production period 1987 to present and never had an issue with them. Most have been sold on and to this day nobody has complained or come back to me on the pen.

Do not buy a Carene under any circumstances.

Avoid at all costs.

Do not handle one, even to just test it.

Especially the Amber version. The amber has this appalling translucence and shimmer depending on the lighting. Never quite looks the same from one day to the next. It has an apparent depth to the finish which is slightly mesmerising.

I bought just one a few months ago and I have about 8 already. Two FP (medium and broad), 3 BP, and 2 or 3 RB.

All but one are Amber (one sea black roller ball).

:lticaptd:

You've been amberized!

B. Russell

The nib is the last item to be placed during assembly.

Waterman use an epoxy of sorts but the specific type is not known. I asked them but they declined to provide the spec.

The nib slots in under an overhanging lip and then pushes rearward to its final position. In theory it is well retained without adhesive.

Of late, on my own pens with damaged nibs which I have managed to straighten, I use 24 hour twin pack epoxy which works well.

We must get away from the thought/rumour that Carene nibs, from the factory, are a problem...they are not. I have purchased Carene pens (ni on 100) covering the production period 1987 to present and never had an issue with them. Most have been sold on and to this day nobody has complained or come back to me on the pen.

Good info.

B. Russell