Parker 45 Cartridge Converter ( Hole Size )

old4570

Silly question ?

You would think this info was easily available ..

What size is the hole in the cartridge converter ?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• old4570

• Chrissy

• PithyProlix

• Lodzermensch

What hole? Do you mean does the 45 accept the current size cartridges and converters? If that's the question, the answer is YES.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

a) Why does this feel like I am trying to find the winning lottery numbers ?

B) How many holes are there in a cartridge converter ?

IGP7697.jpg

c) I dont know what size hole a PARKER 45 cartridge converter has ( or what the standard hole is for that matter )

d) 4mm / 3.8mm / 4.5mm ????????????????????????????????????????

e) Why I asked , since this information is not readily available . ( Google search - Parker collector sites )

f) Is it a secret ?

So far - The nearest I have come to an answer is :

Lamy Converters fit the Parker 45 = How true is this ?

So I got out my Lamy , pulled the converter , used my digital calipers and got 3.18mm ID ..

We have to account for the flats on the blade of the calipers on such a small hole , so I would say the Lamy converter is 3.2mm ID

Does this mean that the Parker uses a converter with a 3.2mm Hole ..

Edited by old4570

a) Why does this feel like I am trying to find the winning lottery numbers ?

B) How many holes are there in a cartridge converter ?

c) I dont know what size hole a PARKER 45 cartridge converter has ( or what the standard hole is for that matter )

d) 4mm / 3.8mm / 4.5mm ????????????????????????????????????????

e) Why I asked , since this information is not readily available . ( Google search - Parker collector sites )

f) Is it a secret ?

There is one hole that fits Parker pens in a Parker converter or cartridge. I don't know it's measurement, but I have loads of Parker cartridges and converters since they are cheap and easy to obtain. I just never thought of measuring it. Maybe no-one else has done so either. :huh:

My location means everything is Hard or Expensive to get ( Oz )

Especially Parker Converters . They can cost double of what I have paid for my Parker 45 Pens so far ..

Not paying that much for a converter .

Happy to use cheap Chinese converters or buy a ink cartridge with the correct size hole .

But as we know these vary greatly .. ( Size of the ID for the cartridge )

So it pays to know for sure .

- went through my converter collection ..

Found some 3.15mm ( Measured - so ID is probably a little bigger ) converters , and seem to fit my Parker 45 OK .

So the Parker 45 might be 3.2mm ID for the cartridge / converter ..

My understanding is that Parker converters (mostly) fit all models of Parker c/c pens. One model of twist converter did NOT, but the new ones do. And of course the slide converters (which are less expensive but I don't like them nearly as well) do.

Supposedly Lamy pens can take Parker converters and cartridges, and Aurora does (although I don't have any Aurora pens). But if you're effectively asking whether you can use International Standard converters or cartridges on Parker pens, the answer is no. For Parker you need to buy proprietary ones.

Or are you trying to figure out how to do something like 3D print your own? (Which is an interesting concept....) Because that's the only reason I can think of that you'd be so insistent on knowing the size of the opening.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The slide converters have the virtue of enabling one hand operation, leaving one hand free to steady the ink bottle. Easy to lube. Otherwise they are just cheap.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Parker cartridges and converters have the same sized holes, but some converters (maybe compatible versions) are thinner in diameter and have a shorter length of plastic that fits onto the nipple inside the section. These don't stay on so well, and can cause leaks and blobbing of ink. So the hole size isn't the only thing to be concerned about. For a Parker 45 try ebay or Amazon for a Parker converter. Or buy some long Parker cartridges and refill them with a syringe.

The problem with measuring the hole on the converter is that it has to flex a bit to fit tight onto and seal the nipple. So the number you measure can vary from cartridge to cartridge and converter to converter. Or the actual seal is not at the mouth of the opening, but a bit further in, where it may be difficult to measure.

Therefore, the better question is what is the diameter of the nipple?

But to get that, you have to disect a pen.

Then you need to find a converter that has an opening smaller than the diameter of the nipple, to allow for flex and seal.

Or one with a flexible seal.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

IGP7717.jpg

Where are we ..

Went through my converter collection ( I have one of those )

As mentioned, pulled one out with an ID that measured 3.15mm with some very accurate Digital calipers .

Seems to fit fine ..

Converter is a cheap Chinese one picked up from Feebay .

One thing I noticed is that fountain pens take all sorts of sizes in converters from 2.5mm to 4mm , that's a rather huge variance ..

Anyhow , looks like the Parker 45 is 3.2mm , so if you want a converter to fit well you might want one a few points under 3.2mm ..

In regards to converters in general , yes . The holes do vary quite a bit . Which is good as it helps to find one that fits to your liking

Edited by old4570

Yes, even international converters are NOT consistent in fit.

I sometimes have to swap converters from my stash of converters, to find one that fits snugly.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Yes, even international converters are NOT consistent in fit.

I sometimes have to swap converters from my stash of converters, to find one that fits snugly.

That's what I am finding , a brand new pen with a rather lose converter . ( Which needs swapping out for a tighter fitting one )

Note sure how many converters I have ( Spare ) Might be 30 or more . ( Various sizes )

The current Parker converters (slide and twist) fit my 45's fine. They are cheap and reliable.

The current Parker converters (slide and twist) fit my 45's fine. They are cheap and reliable.

The statement I made was very general and more for Chinese made Fountain Pens ..

I often find that the converters on the CFP's are some what lose and need replacing .

My Parker collection ATM consists off

4x Parker 45's and one Jotter . ( I think that's all I have )

IGP7720.jpg

My Parker 45's in order of arrival .

Last one had a old cartridge , I cleaned it and will refill with Quink .

Just got to clean the Pens first .

This is on eBay Aus -- https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252322008527

$10.50 for two Parker converters, w/free postage.

Sadly these look very much like compatible Parker converters. They have "bumps" around the plastic near the bottom and the extension that fits onto the internal collector nipple is very short. So they aren't a tight fit and have caused "blobbing" in Parker pens that I've used them in.

In order to check whether converters might be loose or tight, look at the difference between the length of the part that goes onto the nipple and compare it with your Parker cartridge.

To use these converters, I've taped a small piece of magic tape around them to ensure they stay in position and don't wobble about