Does Anyone Talk About Anything Other Than The 2000 Here?

zslane

Based on the thread topics here, one could easily get the mistaken impression that Lamy only makes one model of fountain pen. Why is it that the Lamy 2000 gets, like, 90+% of the pen-based discussion here? I'm not judging, I'm just curious.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• watch_art

• Carrau

• 1nkulus

Maybe...Because Lamy 2000 has 52 years in the market and it is still alive... :)

Edited by Mr.Rene

It's their flagship pen, and a quality one at that. The gold nib is buttery and is essentially an eyedropper in my eyes because of its capacity. The warm feel makes it lovely to write with.

pen_master

There's plenty of discussion about the Lamy Safari. The Persona was a great but quirky pen. The black titanium oxide one would strip the finish off of any pen next to it in your pocket. The Studio is, "meh." I had two and sold them as klunky and too heavy. But the 2000 is an interesting pen, durable, and comfortable. That long production run exceeds event that of the Parker 51.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

There's plenty of discussion about the Lamy Safari. The Persona was a great but quirky pen. The black titanium oxide one would strip the finish off of any pen next to it in your pocket. The Studio is, "meh." I had two and sold them as klunky and too heavy. But the 2000 is an interesting pen, durable, and comfortable. That long production run exceeds event that of the Parker 51.

Oi! Not meh! They're beautiful! Well, to each his own, I have two Studios and love them (and 7 Vistas), so much so I just purchased a third, so that will be one in Imperial Blue, one in black, one in palladium finish.

But returning to the original post, yeah, the 2000 seems to be popular; it's a shame I find hooded nibs so ugly (again, to each his own).

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Based on the thread topics here, one could easily get the mistaken impression that Lamy only makes one model of fountain pen. Why is it that the Lamy 2000 gets, like, 90+% of the pen-based discussion here? I'm not judging, I'm just curious.

If there is something you’d like to discuss, why not open a new Lamy thread and lead the way?

If there is something you’d like to discuss, why not open a new Lamy thread and lead the way?

What he said!

The black titanium oxide one would strip the finish off of any pen next to it in your pocket.

Nothing like finding gold streaks on your black titanium Personal to make you take it out of rotation and put it in a box with a sign "Does not play well with others!"

Edited by Glenn-SC

Lamy 2000, writing for over half a century.

It is the most popular flagship apart from Imporium and Dialog 3.

What he said!

What they both said. :D

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I wouldn't know. I'm not fond of my 2000.

I prefer the Imporium and Dialog 3, and also the Accent Brilliant and the Aion.

For knock around pens the Safaris are great, although I prefer the Nexx to the Safari.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I like my Picos.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Very few people know about, collect, or are interested in Lamy vintage pens. But it's the design history that makes Lamy interesting.

Btw., other forums are also mostly focused on just one model - the Souverän or Meisterstück come to mind. Of course they're available in different sizes, but over on Pelikan the discussion is mainly about some new color.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

The older Lamy pens are interesting, but I never knew enough about them to get started investigating them. Now I am past wanting more pens. I will have to be satisfied with my Safaris and 2000s. I like the 2000 and the Parker 51 for the mid-century modern design, which I grew up with and still am at home with. If you don't like it, I will respect, but please don't belabor me with that.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Different strokes for different folks. Horses for courses. There is plenty in the fountainpendom that falls in the category of taste and personal preference and thus, is entirely subjective and outside the realm of things that can and should be debated if civil discourse is the expected norm.

My take on the 2000 has for a long time been this. I like the visual aspects of the design, the pen looks playful and "clean". I like the good bits of engineering and design (both function and materials wise) that went into the pen. The filling mechanism (and well, the pen overall) is rather bomb proof and easy to operate. The clip is awesome esp. in the early models one of which I currently have in my possession (made just before or around 1970). The cap works a treat, is fast to use and posts nicely. The pen is also light which I appreciate.

Now come the bits I personally do not care about.

Ergonomics wise? Can't get myself to like it in use.

The rather steep convex taper from the fat midsection to the thin front of the pen also makes the pen kind of awkward to control and write with (the way I grip it at least). I have tried using it posted and gripping it further away from the nib but alas, no.

The section is also slippery which combined with sweaty hands and fingers (and the taper) make longer writing sessions quite impossible. Cramps galore.

The nib... is finicky. The MK nib in the pen I currently have has a kind of weird sweet spot but the nib actually flexes quite a bit (going from an EF to B or something to that effect).

I do not know if it is like that by design or just worn out from use (got it used a couple of years ago) but the writing produced by it is temperamentally uneven and hard to make into something more uniform and controlled. It just seems to be all over the place and oh, I have tried.

I have kept it constantly inked for the last half a year picking it up every now and then and giving it a go. I have tried different inks settling for Lamy Pacific Blue / Turquoise which seems to work the best for it. But still, I have issues with it. Oh, it also tends to dry out even when capped (after several days though), hard starts are more of a norm than deviation from it.

I had issues with the previous one too, a more modern version produced after 2000 which I ended giving away to my mother. It didn't have these nib issues though so it might be just this one... I do love the nib when it behaves, it is quite unlike any other hooded nib I have had or tried. I mean, the amount of flex it provides is just weird.

So, here was my personal take on the esteemed and venerable Lamy 2000. It is undoubtedly a classic design and a great pen for some but not for everyone.

That said, I very much prefer an earlier design, the Lamy 99, to this one. It has a more modest profile and the nibs on those earlier Lamys are just awesome. Very German in a good kind of a way. :)

Probably because so many people have them, including older versions of the pen. The amount of traffic and the number of people who love them is why I decided to give on e a try... and it turns out that it is one of my favorites. Then again, i also love my Studio, a couple of my Pilots, etc..... I like my Lamy CP1, but I do not love it. I would probably like it better if I spent some money and put a gold nib on it.

Firstly..Welcome zslane......

Why......Hell if I know......

Why do folks believe that the ersatz Conklin {modern} Dura-Flex.....Flexes? Same answer................

Fred

.....a willingness to think not about something other than what ordinary human beings think about..

but rather to learn to think undistracted about things that ordinary human beings cannot help

thinking about..........Stanley Cavell