Diamine Jalur Gemilang

penzel_washinkton

Anyone have heard of this ink or tried it?

Just seen this ink on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/8yisuo/another_diamine_exclusive_ink/

Initially I thought this was an ink for Indonesia going by the name but it is actually store exclusive to PenGallery which is Malaysian based.

I think Diamine is going all out with sheen for the store exclusives and personally I think all of them has been excellent.

Although I might suspect that these are all highly saturated inks (Skull & Roses and November Rain being the other two)

Edited by penzel_washinkton

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• aurore

• penzel_washinkton

• Karmachanic

Yes, I have a sample of it to review. :)

" A special collaboration between PenGallery and Diamine has brought us Jalur Gemilang - A vibrant sheening ink commemorating the reds and blues of the Malaysian flag, aka the Jalur Gemilang. Available exclusively at PenGallery. The unique blue with a deep red sheen."

Too bad it's only available at one place. It's GORGEOUS! I love how the shading goes from sky blue/turquoise blue to purple (I was looking at the writing sample, rather than the swab).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I wonder why these 3 high sheening inks are all "store exclusives?" -_-

By now the folks at Diamine must have seen that they are proving very popular, but are difficult to obtain. Hopefully they will produce some for all of us. :)

Yes, I have a sample of it to review. :)

" A special collaboration between PenGallery and Diamine has brought us Jalur Gemilang - A vibrant sheening ink commemorating the reds and blues of the Malaysian flag, aka the Jalur Gemilang. Available exclusively at PenGallery. The unique blue with a deep red sheen."

Please do inform us of initial impressions on the ink once you get your hands on them....

I think they are experimenting and testing the waters with these latest ink, since this is the first time I think that they have been really aggressive with sheening inks.

So far all of them has been fire and as inkstainedtruth said, the JG looks absolutely gorgeous.

Now that one looks interesting. Love the blue to purple transition. Yes, why is that one an exclusive?!

pen_master

I guess it is quite easy to make it yourself using Diamine inks: about 1 part of Florida Blue/Mediterranean Blue or (preferably) Asa Blue and about 2 parts of Bilberry. I may be wrong about the proportions so I would start with 1:1 (or even less of Bilberry in the beginning if Asa Blue as the 1st ink is used) and adding Bilberry slowly.

It is definitely a mixture of a lighter blue with some turquoise in it (my favourite is Asa) and Bilberry (another option would be Sapphire Blue but it is rather Bilberry).

So before digging fo this new ink, if you have the above mentioned inks you might try and mix it yourself using a syringe. Do not forget to mix it well an let it rest for a while before using.

Edited by aurore

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

If you want to get the base color then mixing might work but will it sheen similarly to the JG though?

I think that is the tricky part since I believe this ink's main appeal is about the sheen.

Perhaps I sounded overly confident? That was not without a reason I hope :)

This is a Diamine ink.

There are several things about Diamine company, beside the others these two:

1. You have got over a 100 of their standard inks and they are dirty cheap,
  2. Diamine uses the same dyes again and again, in just an every single of any of their new or special inks are exactly the same dyes already used in their standard inks, just in a different combination and/or proportion.

To reproduce a Diamine ink one needs to use other Diamine inks only and first of all needs to identify those inks by their properties. Sometimes it is rather tricky, sometimes not, sometimes almsot impossible and sometimes you get even a nicer ink than you wanted :)

You mentioned sheen, agreed, therefore Bilberry is the main component.

To me this ink is mainly a Bilberry „diluted“ with other blue ink a bit on turquois side (the green component balances Bilberry’s violet).

P.S.: Playing with a JPG you might get a similar colour, so you can get also with other Diamine inks than mentioned above, but you will not get the properties without Bilberry (though Sapphire is also an option) imo

Edited by aurore

Preferably EU.

The same dyes are used worldwide, by all manufacturers, again and again, to make new ink colours.

After writing with it, comparing inks with it, and chroma testing lots of inks, I think the main component of Jalur Gemilang might be.........

Diamine Asa Blue. Definitely no Bilberry in there. :)

Well, you are not suggesting all the manufacturers worldwide (like Pilot, Sailor, GvFC etc.) use the same dyes as Diamine, are you?

Indeed, looking at other pictures of Jalur Gemilang the main component is close to Asa. However there is still some significant blurple to it.

Edited by aurore

Preferably EU.

It is interesting although what we can get probably is something very close only but not the exact match.

But for these store limited inks, mixing from the current crops is probably a smart option to obtain one (or something close)

Edited by penzel_washinkton

I very much like the way this conversation is going. Showdown! Please show us your mixes. Pleeeease.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Hm. Around $10 shipping to my corner of the US. That's not nearly as expensive as I was expecting it to be from Malaysia. Well, I do believe I'm going to be picking up a bottle of this one -- that turquoise->purple shading is really amazing.

EDIT: Hm. Or is it a blue that's just doing a really hard red sheen and giving a purplish result? Kinda hard to tell from the available pictures.

Edited by thudthwacker

Well, you are not suggesting all the manufacturers worldwide (like Pilot, Sailor, GvFC etc.) use the same dyes as Diamine, are you?

Indeed, looking at other pictures of Jalur Gemilang the main component is close to Asa. However there is still some significant blurple to it.

Yes, there are certain dyes made from known pigments that have been around for many years, and they are used all over the world. Prussian Blue is one example. Cobalt Blue is another. There are many others. Mixtures of dyes can produce infinite shades though.

The main turquoise component of Jalur Gemilang does look close to Asa Blue. So that turquoise dye could easily be the same in both inks. J.G. doesn't have any purple in it, that's probably the red sheen you can see. :)

I've now reviewed Diamine Jalur Gemilang. I think it's a very nice ink. :thumbup:

I've now reviewed Diamine Jalur Gemilang. I think it's a very nice ink. :thumbup:

Agreed!. I'm currenty putting the strong arm on a Malaysian friend who is coming my way in 10 days. Fingers crossed.

Agreed!. I'm currenty putting the strong arm on a Malaysian friend who is coming my way in 10 days. Fingers crossed.

I hope it's not too early for the launch. ;) Is he coming to the UK by any chance? :drool:

I hope it's not too early for the launch. ;) Is he coming to the UK by any chance? :drool:

PM sent

The same dyes are used worldwide, by all manufacturers, again and again, to make new ink colours.

I will disagree with that. I have a hard time believing the dyes used in Australian inks are the same as used in UK inks. For example, I have noticed that australian inks have a very sheening blue (Blackstone, Robert Oster and Snake INks).. This was way before OS Nitrogen and KRishna Moonview and DIamine Skull and Roses.

It has been only recently that, other manufacturers are jumping on the sheening bandwagon and I can see that they have done good research and found new dyes with crazy sheen.

Japanese dyes seem different too.

All in all, I am quite happy with new inks and new colours.. and more sheen. I just cannot fathom that all manufacturers are using the exact same dyes.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,