Genuine Or Not?

Waltz For Zizi

I'm not a Parker person so when I found this pen for 15$ I thought it was a good deal, but is it genuine?

Is it a Parker 51 vacumatic, or a nice copy?

post-116317-0-50871400-1531429856_thumb.png

post-116317-0-26854700-1531429866_thumb.png

post-116317-0-19089700-1531429875_thumb.png

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• FarmBoy

• Waltz For Zizi

• rochester21

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a real Parker.

In some circles it might be considered a fake Hero 616, but go with real Parker.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

That is a great price - even if you have to put $30 or so into it to have the diaphragm replaced.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Looks like the real deal to me!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks for all the replies. The pen unfortunately was in worse condition than I thought. Apart from the sac needing replacement, the nib is also missing the iridium tipping....so I think I'm done with buying vintage/old pens. I'll stick to my modern ones since I also dislike wear signs on my pens, unless they're made by me. I only bought it because it's an iconic pen...well, at least I didn't lose too much. Cheers to you all!

At $15.00 you got a good deal with the problems. I would look for a nib and then send it off to get repaired. I think you would be happy you did, but I don't have to have like new pens. If you don't want to just list it in the classifieds and mak a little.

Good luck

Mark

Math is always a fun subject

15 = purchase cost

35 = new nib with installation and adjustment

35 = complete cleaning and rebuild of filler

10 = some postage

95 = like new 51.

I would buy as many bad nib 51s for $15 that I could find.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

15 = purchase cost

10 = some postage

95 = like new 51.

In your case the cleaning / rebuild as well the postage would be EXCLUDED. So much cheaper. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

In some circles it might be considered a fake Hero 616, but go with real Parker.

Never heard anyone claiming that Hero 616 IS NOT a P51 copy, so your stance is unjustified.

Perhaps a fake Wing Sung? Wing Sungs almost look like a fake Parker, but they have an ink window and an improved filler.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

15 = purchase cost

10 = some postage

95 = like new 51.

Sending pens from Europe to US to be repaired is a hassle only worth going trough if the pen is valuable. In this case, it`s either fix it yourself or use it as spares. Personally i`m not brave enough to try and restore a vacumatic(i`d try if i already had the parts), this is why i only buy the aerometric version.

As a side note, i once bought a P51 with half of the tipping missing(thanks, ebay). I simply removed the remaining tipping and reground the tip using micromesh. Not the best solution out there, but totally acceptable, the nib was smooth again, albeit a bit rough by comparison with a tipped nib.

A vintage fp is only as good as the person who restores it, and for restored vintage pens, FPN is by far the best source one can hope for. Really.

Edited by rochester21

Never heard anyone claiming that Hero 616 IS NOT a P51 copy, so your stance is unjustified.

Farmboy is still chuckling. Mitto too...