Comparison Sailor Medium-Fine

nibl

Does anyone have a Sailor Pro Gear Slim or 1911 Standard with a medium-fine nib? I'm trying to figure out how it compares to a 3776 Medium, or a Vanishing Point Fine. Im guessing its probably in between those two?

Goulet's nib nook is helpful, but it's difficult to compare text when it's different. They only write the pen name for each writing sample. I find it difficult to compare when line widths are very close and letters are different.

Im looking for a writing sample with a Sailor medium-fine from a PGS or 1911S with other well known pens. Theres no way for me to try the pen in person.

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nibl

• jrhudgins

• Sharpslake

• TheDutchGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

My two Sailors both have H-M nibs, so can't help you much. In terms of line width, they're comparable to western fine (using Sailor ink and Rhodia paper). A medium-fine should be about halfway between a Japanese fine and western fine. Hopefully someone can provide a picture.

The difference is minuscule. I do get more pencil like feedback with the Sailor medium fine VS the Sailor medium or Decimo fine, but the line widths really are very close. This is Rhodia dot paper. All inks are Iroshizuku or Sailor inks. http://u.cubeupload.com/sharpslake/4B0E76B3444748119918.jpeg

Edited by Sharpslake

@Sharpslake, Many Thanks for the writing sample. That helps a lot together with the Lamy medium for comparison. The line widths really are very close on the Japanese pens.

Does the Sailor medium still have pencil like feedback, or does it feel very different to the medium-fine?

Edit: I ask because there is a thread here on FPN where many people believe that the Sailor medium and broad nibs are being ground smoother now than three years or so ago.

Edited by nibl

@Sharpslake, Many Thanks for the writing sample. That helps a lot together with the Lamy medium for comparison. The line widths really are very close on the Japanese pens.

Does the Sailor medium still have pencil like feedback, or does it feel very different to the medium-fine?

Edit: I ask because there is a thread here on FPN where many people believe that the Sailor medium and broad nibs are being ground smoother now than three years or so ago.

The medium Sailor nib does still have a pencil "LIKE" feedback but the medium fine feels EXACTLY like writing with a pencil. I have two Sailor mediums and I wouldn't describe either as "smooth". The Lamy 2000 medium nib is smooth, so I base my experience of smooth off of that. I suspect that you would enjoy either the medium fine or the medium, and you'll probably eventually end up with both.

I also have a Pilot Decimo medium that feels like writing with a sharpie. That feedback is extremely unpleasant to me. Fortunately none of my Sailor nibs feel like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailor medium and broad nibs are shaped different from medium fine and fine and write different.

To me, the medium fine ironically has alot less feedback than the medium. And my 21k progear fine even less feedback than my medium fine. It is weird how things are. I am not sure if my fine nib has been touched by the vendor. But I doubt, because I have a progear in 14k fine, also very smooth and smoother after years of use.

My guess is there is probably less room and less tipping material in a fine and med-fine nibs for Sailor to make that inverted anchor shape found in medium and broad nibs.

I have seen 1-2 chinese vendors on taobao.com who have highlighted this point, showing magnified pictures of the nib tipping shapes.

This feedback and unique shape must not be discounted from any report. Whether it is good or bad is another matter for the writer to eventually decide.

In my opinion, Sailor really knows nibs and writing. Control and precision are offered in any nib width.

That said, the unique tipping shape of the medium and broad did not allow me to write fast strokes with big turning angles very easily. It curbs pen rotation and ensures that the hand writes in a certain manner - prim and proper. Certainly not for careless and carefree doodling with the M and B nibs, for me at least.

And due to this unique shape, some people find the medium nib writes even finer than the medium fine.

Medium fine and fine nibs are much easier for me.

Edited by minddance

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a late post here...

I own several 1911L bodies with various nibs. Below is my experience of line widths, here also using other pens as reference points, from finest to thickest lines of what I have unmodified:

*Sailor 1911L M-F nib. Mine has a bit of tooth, is as fine as I want to go. With a light touch/ Rhodia paper, it glides well with a bit of feedback. Great for detail.

*Pilot E95s F nib. Butter smooth

*Sailor 1911L M nib. Very smooth, minimal feedback. My work pen, I can grab it and "just write".

*Pelikan M800 F nib. Also smooth.

*Pilot Custom 823 Waverly. Also a fairly wet writer, and so is more of a Sailor Broad.

*Sailor 1911L B. Very, very smooth. For me, a Western Medium, wet line in mine.

I also have two 1911Ls with B nibs stubbed, one to more of a M stub and one to a B stub. They are "go to" pens as daily writers when I am paying more attention to my writing or want more flair. Or when I just want to carry the White or the Stormy Sea blue bodies!

And I will likely order another M nib, on a Royal Tangerine body, soon.

I will see if I can make a writing comparison later in the day and post if it comes out well.

@jrhudgins, Thanks for posting. Good timing. Only a few hours ago I wrote to the seller I got the 1911 Standard Medium from and requested an exchange for a medium-fine, or fine.

Is your Sailor 1911 L medium a recent model? Mine is just as several people here described. It appears to have a triangular shape and write a bit like a zoom nib. At a low angle of 30° the line is a European medium, at 50° a Japanese medium, and at 70° probably more a medium-fine.

It's very interesting for sketching, but for just plain writing the odd shape of the tipping doesn't really work for me.

So now the question is medium-fine, or fine? Comparisons of those two would be very helpful. Thanks!

My medium nibs are not recent, and the tipping is rounded. The M-F nib is only about 3 years old, doesn't seem to have any angularity to the tipping (under magnification), and it also writes the same at shallow or steep angles. But I polish my nibs now and may have rounded it slightly myself--not sure. Sorry that I don't have a fine to compare it to for you.

As you can tell, I like stubs, and so am not a good reference for very fine nibs. Old fine nibs on Parkers and Auroras are pretty fine, and I use those often too. The Sailor M-F seemed scratchy to me, as did a Lamy EF until my hand re-learned to use a light touch (and polished it just a bit). Those are about as fine as I can use well. (Old guy with a tremor)