Advice Wanted For Mid-Price Work Pen

doctorinky

So where can the OP get a L200 or a Visconti HS for around £50? I'd like to know too!

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• KellyMcJ

• Honeybadgers

• penzel_washinkton

So where can the OP get a L200 or a Visconti HS for around £50? I'd like to know too!

For £50? I'm having what all of you are smoking :cloud9:

As for recommendations, I don't know why the Pilot Metropolitan is not mentioned yet, EDC pen, looks professional and slick, and quite durable.

You can toss it around and not have to worry about anything.

Since you feel the Safari Fine is a little too thin, get the Pilot 78G Broad also and swap it with the Metropolitan nib. The result? For about $30 you get two workhorse pens, one with a Broad (Western medium) and a backup pen.

I am a student which have to write a lot each day on any kind of paper. My recommend is a Piot Custom 74 (MF or M nib). It is very good writer smooth and good flow but still not too wet that made me can write on some low quality paper.

I also love Pelikan M200 (F nib). It is a small pen easy to carry, write very well. But the pen is quite wet so may be not good for low quality paper.

I dont like the Lamy section, it makes me feel fatigue when write long time.

I would recommend a Wing Sung 601. Slip cap, big ink reservoir, light pen, nibs are usually well tuned, and you can buy 2-3 pens for the price you have in mind.

Out of the pens mentioned, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Lamy Studio.

I just got my WS 601 in the mail and for first impressions, I'm impressed: for $15 it is sturdier and smoother than I would have expected. I bought it specifically for EDC and it looks quite "professional," especially in a darker color.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

I just got my WS 601 in the mail and for first impressions, I'm impressed: for $15 it is sturdier and smoother than I would have expected. I bought it specifically for EDC and it looks quite "professional," especially in a darker color.

My 601 arrived last night and I'm blown away! It knocks my beloved 618 out of the park even!

I too would vote for the Wing Sung 601, Piston Pump version ( OK if you are particularly nostalgic about it the Vacumatic diaphragm version can still be had ); for those who dislike the hooded nib and perhaps would enjoy a fatter pen for longer writing session I sincerely recommend the Moonman M5.

Do know this same question seems to always prop up now and then .. and its not always an easy one to just say one model would be it. After all, one size just do not fit all ... My advice to all those asked always had been .. identify what you need, what you prefer , and what the actual usage demand and / or placed upon the pen as fa as constraints goes, then you can short list the models that will simply fit the conditions.

What a good idea - the Wing Sung 601. Are the cap clutches metal?

Yep! Just like the Parker 51 I think.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a new fountain pen arriving mid September. The Italix 'Chaplain's Tankard'. High capacity ink bottle piston filler. Twenty nib options. Proposed price just £21 GBP (plus VAT in EU).

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

We have a new fountain pen arriving mid September. The Italix 'Chaplain's Tankard'. High capacity ink bottle piston filler. Twenty nib options. Proposed price just £21 GBP (plus VAT in EU).

Looking forward to seeing it.

Out of the sugegstions above, the Waterman Hemisphere and Expert, and the Pilot Metropolitan look good calls. The Pilot Capless on the other hand, looks wrong on a couple of levels, it's too expensive, and holds very little ink, neither of which make it very suitable as an EDC that's going to be heavily used. I'd also add the Pilot Prera and the Cross Century as suggestions. The ATX is worth considering as well.

Any of Italix's range from Mr Pen would do. The Parson's Essential is an excellent pen, which should suit you well.

Alternatives to consider would be the Faber-Castell Loom - the niib on these pens is probalbe the best you can get for under £35. Also Cult Pens is having a sale of Cross pens just now - 30% off across the range - Cross pens are reliable writers and come with a lifetime guarantee.

So a Cross Century 2 might fit the bill as well, but Cross uses a propriatary cartridge, so it is better to use a convertor.

If you need something plastic, because of infection control, then the more expensive Platinum Century might be in order at £100.

Do take a look at WHSmith's website though - it's not a commonly known fact, but they usually sell higher end pens with generous discounts online (but not in store).

For 50 dollars/pounds/euros I would be considering the Parker I.M. (2018 model). I have one, it writes beautifully. Consistent writer, no hard starts, no skips, just excellent writing experience.

TWSBI Eco is another (in my opinion) very good option.

Depending on what you like you could try to get a Waterman Apostrophe. They are not produced anymore, but I guess there will be quite some new ones in boxes which have never been opened. I didn't like the looks at first, but it grew on me, and it is an excellent writer.

Baoer 388, chrome parker IM. Thank me later.

Also, aren't NHS doctors paid like, extremely well ? I'm not a doctor, but if i were, i would get a duofold, a Yard-O-Led+ a Namiki Maki-e just to start with.

Edited by rochester21

It’s quite a bit above your budget, but I recommend that you consider saving up for a pilot vanishing point. Until you have one in your hand, you really can’t believe just how convenient it is – especially for your type of use.

For a number of years I have spent five to eight hours a week taking notes with my Carene medium nib. The current Hemisphere is a much smaller pen to grip compared to the Carene. I have found that the previous model Hemisphere produced I believe until 2010, and referred to as the narrow band model is a bigger pen with a grip more similar to the Carene and a stainless nib that writes as well as the Carene. I now use them interchangeably.

That's awesome news! If it isn't too heavy, it could easily become my first Italix.

eta: just saw the specs on your site; at 40g, I think it is just a bit too heavy -- I thought the Parson's Essential was at 35g.

Edited by Arkanabar

I carry a Platinum Century 3776 with me everywhere I go. Writes every time and is very comfortable to use for long periods of time. That slip n seal cap thing is no joke, it actually works as advertised. Seriously good pen. Good luck with your choice :)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.