The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Refilling Cross Pencil Cassette

pencil cross refill cassette mechanical pencil lead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CarrotBasket

CarrotBasket

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:46

I bought an cross mechanical pencil yesterday confident I could make it work and turns out I uses a lead cassette (I didnt know they existed) and it came empty.
Is there really no way to refill these with loose lead?

Attached Images

• IMG_20180711_005017.jpg
  • IMG_20180711_005036.jpg

Edited by CarrotBasket, 11 July 2018 - 04:51.

Sponsored Content

#2 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 14:37

Is there a cap that could be carefully removed? If so drop in a lead and recap it. That's what I would try to do.

#3 CarrotBasket

CarrotBasket

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2018 - 16:16

Is there a cap that could be carefully removed? If so drop in a lead and recap it. That's what I would try to do.

That is some of the best advice for pen repairs 😂

After tinkering some more I disassembled the cassette from the eraser side and pushed out the other plastic cap. Turns out the cassette had a rubber piece that was broken and bent inwards. Without it the pencil seems to be working just like a loose lead pencil would 🤔

Attached Images

• IMG_20180711_121717.jpg

Edited by CarrotBasket, 11 July 2018 - 16:18.

#4 elysee

elysee

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2018 - 17:57

My Cross Townsend pencils use such a lead cassette. I fill the lead cassette with 3B or 4B leads by removing the eraser and inserting the leads, replacing the eraser after that. You can purchase a replacement cassette directly from Cross, https://www.cross.co...ads-and-erasers, if needed

Be careful with the lead tube which advances from the end of the pencil. If this tube is damaged (bent) then the lead will not advance properly through the pencil. If replacing the lead cassette does not allow the lead to advance properly then you can send your pencil to Cross for repair.

#5 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:34

That is some of the best advice for pen repairs 😂

🤔

Refilled many rollerball cartridges with fountain pen ink doing that: the old remove the cap trick.😁

#6 CarrotBasket

CarrotBasket

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2018 - 17:12

Refilled many rollerball cartridges with fountain pen ink doing that: the old remove the cap trick.

I didn't think the inks were compatible, I will have to try that sometime

#7 CarrotBasket

CarrotBasket

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2018 - 17:15

My Cross Townsend pencils use such a lead cassette. I fill the lead cassette with 3B or 4B leads by removing the eraser and inserting the leads, replacing the eraser after that. You can purchase a replacement cassette directly from Cross, https://www.cross.co...ads-and-erasers, if needed

Be careful with the lead tube which advances from the end of the pencil. If this tube is damaged (bent) then the lead will not advance properly through the pencil. If replacing the lead cassette does not allow the lead to advance properly then you can send your pencil to Cross for repair.

That happened to me before, I fixed it by inserting a small pin te same size as a 0.5 lead and manipulating it. It is a nice feature that it can retract on such cross pencils

#8 elysee

elysee

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2018 - 17:49

That happened to me before, I fixed it by inserting a small pin te same size as a 0.5 lead and manipulating it. It is a nice feature that it can retract on such cross pencils

It is great that you were able to find such a small pin! I have never found 0.5 mm strong pin. I would like to have such a pin as it would come in handy for clearing the lead tube on 0.5 mm pencils.

#9 highlander1307

highlander1307

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:38

Oh, my! Never thought of refilling the cassette. Just been buying new. Thank you for your post.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pencil, cross, refill, cassette, mechanical pencil, lead

Sponsored Content

|