Aurora Nibs

minddance

I am going to ask some rather silly questions: how do Aurora nibs write? Is it unique? How does Aurora compare to, say, Pelikans, Sailors? Do the nibs write different write different models/product range?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• ErrantSmudge

• minddance

Top Posters In This Topic

Aurora nibs are somewhat "toothy", that is they have some feedback as you write. Some people label this "scratchy" but that's really a misnomer. A scratchy nibs is defective and in need of adjustment; the feedback in an Aurora nib is intentional and it is a different feel from scratchiness. The best I can liken it to is writing with a pencil.

The toothiness is more apparent in their gold nibs. I have a 14K gold nib and I really like the way it performs and feels. It's like nothing else in my collection. The steel nibs in the Ipsilon family are not as feedback-y, at least in my experience.

There is no uniform characteristic to Aurora nibs that I have found that is uniform across models and eras. Two of my modern Aurora stubs are different enough that I can tell them apart blindfolded. That is also true when it comes to my Hastils, my vintage 88 family pens and my 98 family pens. Some are toothy, some more like ST Dupont nibs, some very similar to my Sailor nibs and others more like a Platinum modern #3776 nib.

Right now I have a Sailor 1911S, Platinum #3776 and an old Aurora 888P filed and in rotation. All are medium nibs, the Platinum and Aurora are using Platinum Blue Black cartridges and the 1911S a Sailor Blue Black cartridge. The Aurora puts down the thinnest lines of the three while the #3776 is the widest. All are wet writers. All start immediately and show no hesitation or skipping.

I have a Talentum Stub that has to rank among my smoothest nibs period and a Hastill that feels like a pencil with a chipped point.

My Website

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files