I'm Very Happy: Nanami Studio Note

mwpannell

Or at least I'm potentially very happy: I should be getting a Sudio Note in the mail Wednesday: think nanamipaper.com's Seven Seas but full grid pages.

I was very, very unhappy when the Seven Seas Crossfield page design went away from the second edition style. I loved it. Won't go into why now, but just to say the Studio Note grid/design is at least similar.

So I expect to be happy after getting one, open to being ecstatic. Interesting too that Steve - bless his heart - has apparently created a studionote.com site. Guess he may be planning big things Studio Note-wise.

No affiliation but as customer.

post-9567-0-02542800-1531231304.png

(Image from nanamipaper.com)

Edited by mwpannell

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mwpannell

• FountainPenBibliophile

• arellano81366

• Karmachanic

Did they change the crossfield? I see both crossfield editions being out of stock, but hadn't heard they were revising it again... What changed? I love my crossfield. Choosing between this Studio Note and a Crossfield for the next one is going to be tough

No, I believe Crossfield is remaining cross-dot as it always has been except for the second edition. Despite being out I think they're continuing.

The second edition's squares were more complete, but third ed changed back.

Now there's Studio Note grid with more complete squares and Crossfield with crosses. That, I suppose, will remain the same and be the hallmark of each, giving everyone choices.

My take, but I'm not Steve so I'm not really the authoritive voice.

Did they change the crossfield? I see both crossfield editions being out of stock, but hadn't heard they were revising it again... What changed? I love my crossfield. Choosing between this Studio Note and a Crossfield for the next one is going to be tough

Other than moving from blue to gray dot I'm not aware of any other change. As you point out - Crossfield is out of stock, and will remain that way for 8 - 12 months. Taroko is also out of stock, both Enigma and Breeze. Time for a Standard with a guide sheet!

Add lightness and simplicate.

I thought I saw a message on the site a few weeks ago that said he was temporarily discontinuing the Crossfield so he could move into a full grid. The Studio Note is meant to be a (temporary?) replacement for the Crossfield.

Hmmm, missed that - wish I'd seen it. But looks to me Nanami is going all in with the Studio Note grid, and what with the studionote.com .

I'll back off now, projecting what I think may be up because, obviously, I don't know.

I'll just run with being happy to see a fuller-grid, Tomoe River paper notebook from Nanami and looking forward to its arriving.

And, duh, I've been calling ("Mr. Nanami Seven Seas") Steve vs Dave. Oops.

Hmmm, missed that - wish I'd seen it. But looks to me Nanami is going all in with the Studio Note grid, and what with the studionote.com .

I'll back off now, projecting what I think may be up because, obviously, I don't know.

I'll just run with being happy to see a fuller-grid, Tomoe River paper notebook from Nanami and looking forward to its arriving.

I totally agree with you! I love Tomoe River paper so much Dave can put whatever he wants on it! I can't use it enough!

Other than moving from blue to gray dot I'm not aware of any other change. As you point out - Crossfield is out of stock, and will remain that way for 8 - 12 months. Taroko is also out of stock, both Enigma and Breeze. Time for a Standard with a guide sheet!

For Taroko, you can buy grade B. Not out of stock and cheaper!!!! I got some B grade and I am happy. Only small cosmetic imperfections:some sort of bubbles on the side. I can post pictures tomorrow if you want.

https://taroko-select.myshopify.com/

Javier

I think that main complain or confussion is that CAFE B6 has on top and bottom of the page some sort of big squares meant to be used as header and footer and that is taking away a good chuck of the page so you cannot write in an "empty" canvas just like in the Crossfield, Standard and Writer.

Javier

For Taroko, you can buy grade B. Not out of stock and cheaper!!!! I got some B grade and I am happy. Only small cosmetic imperfections:some sort of bubbles on the side. I can post pictures tomorrow if you want.

https://taroko-select.myshopify.com/

Thank you Arellano. I ordered

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 2 weeks later...

And, duh, I've been calling ("Mr. Nanami Seven Seas") Steve vs Dave. Oops.

Steve is a good name.

I had a colleague who, for the life of him, could not remember the name of Craig-O's Pizza and kept calling it Steve-O's.

Anyway. By now you should have received the notebook, how do you like it? The thing that gives me pause is the tiny grid size and since it's a full grid not just dots, I'm afraid the extra lines overwhelm the paper overall.

I still miss the original Crossfield, the dots were there to guide you, but really got out of the way as soon as you wrote something.

-k

I do have it but have been slow to come back with comments due to an initial disappointment, the very thing you mentioned, katerchen: the small grid size. Now let me say that I happily used a Hobonici Cousin for a year with the same small grid size, but after using the second edition Crossfield for the past year with its larger grid, I've grown to like it and really wasn't thinking how much smaller the 3.7mm grid is. (I think that's right size for the Studio.)

I know I can go back to the smaller grid but the realization was disappointing. Otherwise, the Studio One has the same fantastic quality build as all the Nanami-made/Tomoe River notebooks and Dave's great service.

It just brings up the problem of finding the "perfect" notebook. There's always some little something, right? And I hate going on and on quibbling so much about it. But I guess that's inherent in our being psycho pen-ink-paper-people: where is the perfect (fill-in-the-blank)?

Yet I had found the perfect notebook, but it's no longer made: that second edition Crossfield. I grew to love everything about it, including those odd boxes top and bottom, arellano81366, that so many people seem to hate. But like I said, that edition is gone.

And my second choice? Gone too! Those leather-like Miquelrius quad notebooks. The larger 300-page ones are still out there but I preferred the 100/200 page ones and they're no longer on the MR site or anywhere else I can find. So, sigh, disappointment. When it comes time to switch as I finish off the Crossfield, I may go to the Studio One and be just as happy with the smaller grid over time. And too, before I came across the Studio One I was about to get a grid Café notebook with boxes top and bottom and try it out. But then it's a smaller size altogether, not much-preferred A5, which I've invested in for covers that I like a lot. (Mind you, this is all for my daily journal-planner-etc.-needs notebook.)

So my take on Studio One, not having really given it daily use yet is, "It's great!" Except, uh, not sure I want to go back to smaller grids.

Oh well.