Problem With Daytone Inks

lovemypen

I bought Daytone 15 color ink pack one and half year back. I mostly use from this pack royal blue, turquoise blue and bright violet. When i tried to use hawana brown fro this pack I faced ink flow problem. Only on my pen with broad nib this ink woks. On most of my pen collection with EF,F,Medium nibs this ink is useless. I faced the same problem with Crimson, Dark brown and Dark grey inks from this pack. But the Olive brown works well. When i looked at the reviews of Daytone inks i can't see anyone mentioned these problems. Has anyone faced the same problem? If there is any chance that my batch of inks are the culprit?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhguda

• lovemypen

• amberleadavis

• bugsydog55

I haven't tried any of the Daytone inks to give you an answer. If we don't get a response, we will try to see if we can get one of our Mods who is in India to help.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My experience is with blue black, turquoise, blue, violet, and black Daytone. I've also tried Glare green, which I've heard is repackaged Daytone. All have been good, nice colors and well-behaved inks. The Daytone came in dropper bottles so I've only used them in eyedropper-filled pens, and they tend to be wetter than my cartridge/converter pens. Maybe that is a factor?

When an ink seems not to want to flow, and the nib and feed are all clean and well-adjusted, I tend to try adding a little water with dishwashing liquid in it. VERY LITTLE! and that increases the flow. (If you put too much it will feather and bleed through like crazy though).

Let us know how you solve this issue...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

My experience is with blue black, turquoise, blue, violet, and black Daytone. I've also tried Glare green, which I've heard is repackaged Daytone. All have been good, nice colors and well-behaved inks. The Daytone came in dropper bottles so I've only used them in eyedropper-filled pens, and they tend to be wetter than my cartridge/converter pens. Maybe that is a factor?

When an ink seems not to want to flow, and the nib and feed are all clean and well-adjusted, I tend to try adding a little water with dishwashing liquid in it. VERY LITTLE! and that increases the flow. (If you put too much it will feather and bleed through like crazy though).

Let us know how you solve this issue...

Thank you for the reply. In my Daytone pack blue black, turquoise, violet, royal blue, emerald green inks are working well. The inks you mentioned only black gives me the flow problem. Hawana brown, dark brown and dark grey inks are most problematic. Can i add dishwashing liquid directly to my ink or after dissolving it to water? What will be the ratio?

Very diluted, like a few drops in a small glass of water, and then you try a few drops of that with the ink. Not much is needed.

The dishwashing solution can be saved for use with other inks, so you should store it in a bottle with a cap. I use an eyedropper to put a few drops of that in a bottle of ink that gives me trouble. Or sometimes, if it has a large barrel, directly into the ink in an eyedropper-filled pen (like some of the large Rangas). The disadvantage of that is of course that you don't have exact data on how much solution improves how much ink, but when you first start trying this, it's a good idea to keep some sort of record of what you do...

Good luck, and remember: don't experiment with the ink bottles themselves! (so an ED filled pen barrel would be best to figure out what works best, I guess...)

• 3 weeks later...

I have these inks also and flow problems were not an issue. For me, the under-saturated, pale nature of some of them made them almost useless as fountain pen ink on their own. The dark brown was barely brown and thin, the dark grey wasn't and the blue black I'll use for mixing. The deep black was acceptable as was the royal blue. I also have some of the Glare inks. Being repackaged Daytone does fit. There are a few others that have worked out OK-Mauve, Emerald Green, Olive Brown. The others I haven't had the opportunity to try. I was interested to see if others have had issues with these inks. For the most part, they have an interesting color pallet but the colors are thin and washed out as if the ink has been seriously diluted. And they truly have the worst bottles-eyedropper only unless you decant or use a syringe.

I think they're especially made for eyedropper-filled pens, and those I have all behave very well with those. I do not find any of them washed out, at all.

But then the flow in ED pens is generally a little more generous than from a converter. And I do like the convenience of the dropper-topped bottle for filling my pens.

I have these inks also and flow problems were not an issue. For me, the under-saturated, pale nature of some of them made them almost useless as fountain pen ink on their own. The dark brown was barely brown and thin, the dark grey wasn't and the blue black I'll use for mixing. The deep black was acceptable as was the royal blue. I also have some of the Glare inks. Being repackaged Daytone does fit. There are a few others that have worked out OK-Mauve, Emerald Green, Olive Brown. The others I haven't had the opportunity to try. I was interested to see if others have had issues with these inks. For the most part, they have an interesting color pallet but the colors are thin and washed out as if the ink has been seriously diluted. And they truly have the worst bottles-eyedropper only unless you decant or use a syringe.

After raising the issue here i made some inquiries among Daytone users locally. From that inquiries i got the necessary information. As you mentioned saturation is an issue for some inks. The other issue is ink characteristics varies batch to batch. Some faced under-saturation in dark brown and some other on olive brown and crimson.But no one faced flow problem like me. So it is with my batch only.

• 2 weeks later...

my experience with daytone inks are pretty bad. Its too diluted for my taste. And worst thing is it fades off..actually some of notes written 1 year back with daytone turquoise is unreadable. the page is almost clean

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

Ouch. We would love to see the pictures though.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY