Ink Capacity In Feed

Derek275

I've been writing with ink cartridges for my entire fountain pen experience because I thought $4 for 25 was a better deal than $12.50 for 3 oz. Well, I'm finally almost out of cartridges and am about to graduate to a bottle of "real" ink

I've noticed with cartridges as soon as you plug them in there's a good amount of ink gone into the feed before you even start writing. After the cartridge runs out, I can still write for a few days. So how much ink actually is stored in the feed (it's a cheap Baoer 388, #5 nib)? I'd like to be able to add it to the size of the converter (.6 ml) so I can know how much ink I'm carrying around.

Thank you so much!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• LizEF

• Karmachanic

• Derek275

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

An ink bottle, cleans and saturates the feed as you fill.......do not just fill the converter alone. That gives you a full feed. By filling just a converter you end up with the same problem of a cartridge, a dry feed.

Back in the old days, we use to have to pinch the cartridge to get it to work, when refilling an empty pen....pre-converter.

How much ink is in a feed depends on the feed type and section and how much of it's guts are hidden by the pen.. A P-51 has a hidden monster feed. ...needed for a super fast drying ink that failed by eating all other feeds.

Still can be much a pain when changing inks.

I think you are worried about nothing really. There is not really that much ink in a feed if you are using the pen often.

My C/C pens don't have a window that tells me when the cartridge runs dry....it's always :o Oh, starting to run dry....then within words of the hint; it's dried up......But I don't use C/C pens much, being into pistons.

Do buy a rubber baby bulb syringe to clean your C/C pens' feed and section when changing ink; or every 6 weeks if using the same ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You'll have a converter full plus the three drops +/- in the feed. As Bo Bo pints out, depending upon the size of the feed. That said most modern pens use either Bock or Jowo, which are similarly sized, but of differing geometry. The dozen companies that make their own nibs aside.

With a C/C you can "charge" the the feed by doing one and a half cycles fill. After filling the C/C a couple of time you'll get a feel for how long a fill will last.

Besides that you"ll have 762 ink choices you didn't have before. WARNING. For the sake of your bankbook and sanity stay away from the ink sections of the forum. The craftiest bunch of lovable loonies inhabit those pages. Before you know it you will have accumulates shelves of ink. Ask Amber! :D

I promised myself that I wouldn't have more that four inks. I now have five with two more on the way. Down the rabbit hole!! Eau de Nil, Yama Dori, Ku Jaku, Blue Suede Emerald de Chivor........ :gaah:

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I can remember thinking 10 inks would be more than enough. :lticaptd:

Only got 60-70....counting a few cartridges....very few.

If I didn't have that LOM sickness I'd have double.

Then there is paper. :P

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Well, this is simple enough, if you have a scale that measures accurately in at least tenths of a gram. Start with a dry pen. Weigh the nib/feed/section without the converter. Use a converter to suck water into the feed until it's saturated. Remove the converter and weigh the nib/feed/section again. The difference is the number of mL the feed will hold. (1 mL of water is equal to 1 g of water)

Hmm. Alternately, weigh the pen + converter dry. Fill it as full as you can, clean it off the way you normally would after filling, and weigh it again. The difference will be roughly1 your total mL. This is more accurate than knowing how much the feed and converter are supposed to hold separately, because it's pretty rare to get a full fill with any converter - there's always an air bubble (unless you go to extremes).

1I say "roughly" because ink isn't 100% water, and I have no idea how the other components translate from grams to mL. You could measure exactly 1 mL of ink and weigh it to come up with a conversion factor.

:)