Twsbi Eco + Wahl Eversharp Skyline Flex Nib

surprise123

I bought a spare Wahl Eversharp flex nib from Five Star Pens (not affiliated) to play around with (it was relatively cheap) and I realized my TWSBI Eco was actually very similar in nib size (not the line width) with the Eversharp Skyline nib. So, I tried putting it together not realizing how much wider the Eversharp nib was. I tried and failed. So I took a look at what appeared to be a completely smooth, conical feed. Then I found out, TWSBI (or rather the German nib maker) had opted for a proprietary feed that had notches that the TWSBI nib sits in. I took a hot X-Acto knife and cut out the corners of the grooves on both sides to accommodate the wider, tapering shoulders of the Eversharp nib. It seated perfectly. The next thing I found out was that the NIB is actually too long for the cap to be put on. So I simply sanded off :yikes: some of the nib's rear (butt? behind? end?) to make sure the tipping didn't touch the inner cap. It worked, and now I have a functioning TWSBI Eco with a flexible, 14k vintage nib. :puddle:

I couldn't ask for more. :bunny01:

The tipping was kind of misaligned after the surgery I did, creating a toothier feel, but those issues can be solved later.

Have any of you guys ever successfully retrofitted a vintage nib into a modern pen?

EDIT: Sorry for the bad photography... My desk lamp is behind my hand.

post-135788-0-87495900-1530993371_thumb.jpg

post-135788-0-78097200-1530993382_thumb.jpg

post-135788-0-57677000-1530993391_thumb.jpg

Edited by surprise123

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• Randal6393

• Bo Bo Olson

• surprise123

If those modifications weren't pretty much universal for making that nib fit any #5 section, I'd be lambasting you for damaging such a rare nib by putting it in such a cheap pen.

But since all you did was make it more universal, no complaints. I tend to not put vintage nibs in pens unless the fit is reasonably good (I don't mind chewing up a plastic feed in order to make it fit)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

So now you have a nib you can't sell....good thing it was cheap....too bad it was good.

Impatience is the worst thing to have with fountain pens.

By taking one's time....and buying less cheap pens, one could have had a real nice Classic Whal- Eversharpe, with the classic Art Decco form.

OK, old pens...nibs, after a couple-three generations have drag.....from 'Iridium' micro-corrosion or 'iridium' rust.

I suggest a good quality brown paper bag to take that off with..........in micro-mesh if dangerous if you've not already ruined a couple of nibs learning how.

Brown paper bag will not damage the nib if you rotate the nib constantly....will give you good and smooth only.......will never give you butter smooth and is not good for grinding a nib into a stub.

The pros don't like the Brown Paper bag, but if one is tight on money and only wants to get rid of the drag...it will do the trick.

Tines aligned....first, last and always. Rotating the nib always...and no figure 8's which the passed Ol'Griss a reputable repairman said caused baby bottom.

Good quality paper bag, smooth....not rough...not hairy. Rotate the nib constantly as you do circles left, right, squiggles up and down and side ways. Do that for 15 seconds, repeat. Then check....nib should be smoothed to good and smoothed in 3-4 sets.

If you want to use a buff stick....real tiny circles, squiggles and only 3 seconds!!!! Between checking to see if the drag is gone.

For butter smooth....ask someone else. I like the feel of writing on paper, not on butter.

If not....then you have to go to micro-mesh.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

There are also other #5 nib pens that will accept that #2 without modification like the noodlers boston safety or nib creaper.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

In answer to your question about retrofitting vintage nibs to modern pens, yes. I have placed an Esterbrook 357 steel dip nib into an Noodler Ahab body on two different occasions. The nibs hold up well, my first try used Noodler's Black. Worked very well and lasted at least six months before the nib needed changing. Mostly bent, bad nib tips but no real rusting or corrosion.

Second attempt was with R & K Salix. A bit of corrosion but is working out well -- over a month now. My favorite pen for fancy Copperplate. Best hairlines and good flex.

In order to seat the nibs, I needed to heat-adjust the nib to the feed twice in each pen. Used the water-heating method. Much of the information was culled from videos on YouTube.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?