Dating A Parker 51?

WJM

This is my newest acquisition, aerometric Parker 51 with rolled gold cap.

It doesn't have any markings under the clutch ring which would suggest when and where was it made. There's "PARKER" and "1/10 12ct R. GOLD" o the three cap, standard model name and filling instruction on the filler ("...press 4 times...") and interestingly, some sort of serial number, which from what I read was seen on the 51s made for Italian market. Figures, I bought it on ebay from Italian seller.

Any ideas where and when could it have been made?

IMG_20180706_220301.jpg

IMG_20180706_220042_HDR.jpg

Edited by WJM

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WJM

• inkstainedruth

• mitto

• surprise123

What all does it say on the sac sleeve? My understanding is that if it says "Use Superchrome Ink" it's pre-1957. I think you can also narrow it down by whether it says to press the bar 4 times vs. 6 times (but don't remember what the difference is).

You can read more details on Tony Fischier's site: www.parkercollector.com; just scroll down the sidebar and click on the link for Parker 51 to get to the relevant article.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It says

Parker "51"

To fill press ribbed bar firmly 4 times holding the pen point down. Wipe point with soft tissue

Parker 51 Penography usually has good tips on dating the pen (filler sleeve imprints, variations, etc.) I would check there.

Congrats on the find, though! All my aerometrics are Lustraloy caps and I am yet to have found a rolled gold one.

It is an English made 51. The sac guard does not say anything about the usage of ink on the English made 51s.

Khan M. Ilyas

Search an old thread that i started called

Cribsheet To Help Dating Parker 51S

This will give you some help, hopefully

Cheers paul

Thanks for all your answers.

From what I gathered, short clip, lack of dating codes, and lack Parker "halo" logo would point to middle to late 1950's.

Edited by WJM