The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

I Now Have Enough Vintage Sheaffer Ink To Last ...

sheaffer ink

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RogerRamjet

RogerRamjet

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2018 - 20:56

Yesterday, I stopped at a shop I visit weekly that gets in pen related items every so often.  They had 4 bottles of ink for me.  I was not expecting the 32 oz. since when they said they had some ink I may be interested in.  They offered them to me for a price which made it a no brainer to buy them.

I plan on using the blue black at work (It could last me until I retire in 9 years) in my 1949 Sheaffer Sentinel.  I really like the early bottle with the brown label ... and the others ... I have lots of time to figure that out.  Original prices:  Brown box ($1.25) and the yellow boxes ($1.50 each). Enjoy the pic!

Attached Images

• Sheaffer inks 07-03-18.jpg

Edited by RogerRamjet, 04 July 2018 - 21:35.

Sponsored Content

#2 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 21:44

Nice deal. I don't need to buy any more ink unless I run out of a particular color but I probably have a lifetime of ink now and not nearly as much as some people have on hand. Still if I hit a deal like that I know I would buy it.

#3 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2018 - 22:39

Very sweet!  But no Peacock Blue?   :rolleyes:  My favorite Sheaffer ink, there are 4-2oz bottles in the ink drawer right now... but your pictures make me want to go trawling the bay again.  Thanks for sharing.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#4 RogerRamjet

RogerRamjet

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2018 - 23:15

Yes, I have Peacock Blue.  Full bottle here and 1/2 bottle at work (I use it for making editorial corrections).

Attached Images

• Peacock Blue.jpg

#5 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2018 - 00:32

Nice score on the ink only in Iowa.

#6 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:20

Well, I am in Ohio and over the years I have purchased a few large full or nearly full bottles of Sheaffers and other brands of ink. On a per ounce basis they have always cost much less than modern inks.

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:46

Nice score!

I've never seen the really large bottles.  I had a 3/4 full pint bottle of Skrip Peacock (since decanted into smaller bottles), but otherwise have only seen the small jars with the built in inkwell shelf here in western PA (picked up one of Skrip V-Black a couple of weekends ago, in the same antiques mall where I found the first one last spring).

I have better luck with finding vintage Quink bottles that still have ink in them.  Just picked up several of what I think are 2 ounce bottles in several colors, including one of Microfilm Black (also for V-mail, like the Skrip V-Black.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 RogerRamjet

RogerRamjet

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:42

Paid $12 per bottle, so that works out to 37.5 cents per ounce :) 

#9 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• 1,072 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:46

Nice catch!

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.1, Sailor Jentle Yama-Dori 

Case: TWSBI vac 700 1.1 stub, GvFC Moss Green / Faber Castell E-motion parquet, Akkerman bekakt Haags

#10 Tseg

Tseg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:04

Awesome find. Per a different thread in a different section I was turned on to a seller of vintage Sheaffer Peacock, so placed my order today. I hope it is not overhyped. I have many blues, my favorite color, but my lightest/brightest is currently Iro Kon-Peki.

#11 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:28

Very nice find! Always amazing to find these treasures from history.

Buzz

#12 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 14:47

Nice score!

I've never seen the really large bottles.  I had a 3/4 full pint bottle of Skrip Peacock (since decanted into smaller bottles), but otherwise have only seen the small jars with the built in inkwell shelf here in western PA (picked up one of Skrip V-Black a couple of weekends ago, in the same antiques mall where I found the first one last spring).

I have better luck with finding vintage Quink bottles that still have ink in them.  Just picked up several of what I think are 2 ounce bottles in several colors, including one of Microfilm Black (also for V-mail, like the Skrip V-Black.

Ruth like you told me, Pictures of the Quink or it never happened..

#13 johnboz

johnboz

Old Ink Accumulator

• Member - Gold

• 1,151 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 14:57

Ooh, that's a great deal! Those large brown bottles are much more difficult to find, so that's definitely a keeper. 

Currently working on creating a new fountain pen blog...
Fountain Pen Love
Feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions!

#14 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 16:18

Congratulations! I have never seen Sheaffer in the brown bottle, but through the '60s I used Sheaffer Washable Black. I still have essays from 1962 as clear and readable as the day I wrote them. 

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#15 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 16:43

Great find! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#16 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 17:54

Yesterday, I stopped at a shop I visit weekly that gets in pen related items every so often.  They had 4 bottles of ink for me.  I was not expecting the 32 oz. since when they said they had some ink I may be interested in.  They offered them to me for a price which made it a no brainer to buy them.

I plan on using the blue black at work (It could last me until I retire in 9 years) in my 1949 Sheaffer Sentinel.  I really like the early bottle with the brown label ... and the others ... I have lots of time to figure that out.  Original prices:  Brown box ($1.25) and the yellow boxes ($1.50 each). Enjoy the pic!

Great haul :puddle: !

I remember well those big bottles of Sheaffer Skrip from my youth. Some years ago someone here on FPN noted that another someone was selling a 32 oz. bottle of Skrip on Flea-Bay. I hemmed and hawed, I wanted to buy that bottle, but I knew that I already had more than enough ink to last for the rest of my life. Finally I decided to go for it. Of course someone had beaten me to it. A lost purchase that I regret. It's like seeing a 72 count box of Dixon Oriole #2 pencils for sale in an outlet store, going for $1.99 each. For $3.98 I could have scored a gross of Dixon Orioles, which I think were actually better than the Dixon Ticonderoga, which got all of the publicity. "Oh, I have pencils. I shouldn't buy more," I said. And I also regret that non-purchase to this day :headsmack: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#17 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 837 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 22:06

Very sweet!  But no Peacock Blue?   :rolleyes:  My favorite Sheaffer ink, there are 4-2oz bottles in the ink drawer right now... but your pictures make me want to go trawling the bay again.  Thanks for sharing.

I have the remains of a bottle of peacock blue (turquoise to me) that I used at school at the beginning of the1970's. I don't buy ink nowdays because so many friends have surplus ink that they are desperate to get rid of so they can buy the 'latest colour'. 

#18 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2018 - 23:07

Ruth like you told me, Pictures of the Quink or it never happened..

Okay here you go (sorry, I couldn't do it sooner because I've spent several hours on the phone fighting with Kenmore about their cr*p appliances -- and even cr*ppier customer service).  Had to download video of what my washer is doing (actually, more like what it's NOT doing) and then post it to FB Messenger on Kenmore's page.  "Oh, it's out of warranty so we don't actually give a cr*p, we'll just charge you money for the diagnostics and then even more for the repairs...."  (They'll care when I sue them....)

Sigh.  Back to more pleasant matters: pixs of vintage inks from recent purchases.  The Quink I bought last week.  Five bucks.  (They were $2 apiece but the woman in the store let me have six for the $5). 

fpn_1530917542__vintage_quink_boxes.jpg

fpn_1530917650__vintage_quink_boxes__bot

All two oz. bottles.  Several are full, a couple are nearly full.  And just because I was taking photos anyway:

fpn_1530917700__vintage_skrip__carters_b

Skrip bottle is about 2/3 full; the two Carter's bottles are each about half full.  Picked those up a couple of weekends ago.

Mind you, I have no idea if any of it is full strength or reconstituted.  I think the other bottle of V-Black I have has been reconstituted at least some, because it's more like a dark grey.  One of the bottles of Microfilm Black I already had has a blue-ish undertone to it, but otherwise are fine as far as I can tell.  

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#19 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2018 - 00:49

Okay here you go (sorry, I couldn't do it sooner because I've spent several hours on the phone fighting with Kenmore about their cr*p appliances -- and even cr*ppier customer service).  Had to download video of what my washer is doing (actually, more like what it's NOT doing) and then post it to FB Messenger on Kenmore's page.  "Oh, it's out of warranty so we don't actually give a cr*p, we'll just charge you money for the diagnostics and then even more for the repairs...."  (They'll care when I sue them....)

Sigh.  Back to more pleasant matters: pixs of vintage inks from recent purchases.  The Quink I bought last week.  Five bucks.  (They were $2 apiece but the woman in the store let me have six for the $5). 

fpn_1530917542__vintage_quink_boxes.jpg

fpn_1530917650__vintage_quink_boxes__bot

All two oz. bottles.  Several are full, a couple are nearly full.  And just because I was taking photos anyway:

fpn_1530917700__vintage_skrip__carters_b

Skrip bottle is about 2/3 full; the two Carter's bottles are each about half full.  Picked those up a couple of weekends ago.

Mind you, I have no idea if any of it is full strength or reconstituted.  I think the other bottle of V-Black I have has been reconstituted at least some, because it's more like a dark grey.  One of the bottles of Microfilm Black I already had has a blue-ish undertone to it, but otherwise are fine as far as I can tell.  

Thanks Ruth. You have some colors that I need to fill out my ink display. That's OK I have a line on the 2oz. bottles & boxes that I'm missing.

IMG_20180706_193654211_zpsmn2lf9im.jpg

I do have two bottles of royal blue but no boxes, and no spot for the red. I guess I will have to look for a display with a place for the red Quink.

I should update the photo that I'm using on the top left.

Ken

#20 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:10

Thanks Ruth. You have some colors that I need to fill out my ink display. That's OK I have a line on the 2oz. bottles & boxes that I'm missing.

IMG_20180706_193654211_zpsmn2lf9im.jpg

I do have two bottles of royal blue but no boxes, and no spot for the red. I guess I will have to look for a display with a place for the red Quink.

I should update the photo that I'm using on the top left.

Ken

I think you've got more than I do.  I don't have any of the Red, and I don't much like their modern version of Green -- I don't think I've ever seen either of those for sale.

I do have bunch of the vintage Quink Violet from a couple of years ago from an eBay purchase of a full 8 oz bottle.  It got decanted into clean/sterilized Boston Rounds, as did the the 16 oz bottle of Skrip;

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, ink

Sponsored Content

|