Questions On Dc

hatedmind

I have a hotel room booked for Friday night, and Saturday night, but from what I am reading there is no events on friday, and normal people not having a table etc cant do anything. Is that correct? I Live 3 hours away, and instead of spending a 150-160 for a room, I am wondering if I should just plan on leaving my house at 6 am and driving down Saturday to get there around 9 am. I am hoping to pick up a few vintage pens, the show inks of course and possibly a "big ticket" pen. I originally was looking to have some pens serviced but from what I read alot of the very good pen and nib work is not attending. Is there a list of who is actually attending? I attended the baltimore show and had a blast it was a great time, my wife's first show as well as mine, and we both wanted to attend DC, but from the negative reviews I'm hearing, I am wondering if its worth spending the two nights, or even the one night. Any opinions?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigN

• jmccarty3

• MightyEighth

• hatedmind

I'll admit that the three years I went, I mostly only stayed over on Saturday night. The first two years I went down with FPN member Uncle Red, and we left Pittsburgh at the crack of dawn on Saturday. The last year I went (because of the date change) I went down with my husband Friday afternoon, and got to the hotel (the old site in Tyson's Corners) after dinner.

But I was also not paying for the full weekend -- I was just buying day passes for Saturday and Sunday the times I went.

For other shows (Ohio and Triangle) I do usually go down in time to do Friday stuff and pay the weekend price. The first year I did OPS, I have a commitment for the weekend so could only do Friday afternoon. It opened up to non-weekend people at 1 pm, which gave me time to have lunch before going in (and I actually got in a little earlier because I had exact change.... :D). But I got home after 12:30 AM and was pretty fried. So now I go find a cheaper hotel in the area so I can relax and drive back on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, depending, and do the weekend rate stuff.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

hatedmind,

The organizer has provided no information on the web page or facebook, which follows their apparent habit from past DC shows.

If you like the Baltimore show (I sure did!), it seemed that the repair people are 1) present, and 2) more easily accessed, compared with the busier DC show. If you can wait, take your nib and repair needs to Baltimore.

Like you, I booked two nights for the DC show. I intend to buy pens and imagine there will be a good selection present. While I have repair needs it seems unlikely that it will happen this year. Hopefully things improve in future DC shows. Time will tell.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Regards,

Craig

The DC show is my big vacation of the year, because I combine it with a visit to my son and his family who live in the area. While it's true that several nibmeisters and repair people will not be there this year, there will be some, and it will be even more important to have a weekend pass that gets you in the door early to sign up on their lists. We'll see how DC goes this year. If it's a mess like it was last year, I too will consider Baltimore.

Please post if you are coming to DC. I always enjoy seeing FPN friends.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Please post if you are coming to DC. I always enjoy seeing FPN friends.

I'll be there. I got the weekend trader pass to be able to attend on Friday.

Marc

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

I have a hotel room booked for Friday night, and Saturday night, but from what I am reading there is no events on friday, and normal people not having a table etc cant do anything. Is that correct? I Live 3 hours away, and instead of spending a 150-160 for a room, I am wondering if I should just plan on leaving my house at 6 am and driving down Saturday to get there around 9 am. I am hoping to pick up a few vintage pens, the show inks of course and possibly a "big ticket" pen. I originally was looking to have some pens serviced but from what I read alot of the very good pen and nib work is not attending. Is there a list of who is actually attending? I attended the baltimore show and had a blast it was a great time, my wife's first show as well as mine, and we both wanted to attend DC, but from the negative reviews I'm hearing, I am wondering if its worth spending the two nights, or even the one night. Any opinions?

This will be my third D.C. show exhibiting, I do nibwork and sell mostly Indian pens. Friday is a good day if you are looking for the pick of the litter with a smaller crowd. While I am not sure whether there will be any formal program on Friday night, last year there were loads of show attendees from both sides of the table hanging out.

Edited by jjlax10

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

I have been going to the DC Show annually for most of the past decade. It is unfortunate that the Organizer is so poor at organization. That being said I assume there will be a big crowd with lots of pens and inks to see, try, and buy. I have never attended on a Friday (only Saturday and/or Sunday) so I cant really comment on what the extra day (and cost of an extra night) might mean to you. I usually arrive between 9 am and 10 am on Saturday and spend 3-4 hours on the floor which is typically plenty for me. Despite the apparent organizational issues it is a lot of fun. I will add that the Baltimore Show has grown into a very fine alternative or additional show (to chase away winter) and in now look forward to that as much as the DC one.

MightyEighth,

I checked the show web page and only see admission price for Friday and Saturday. Please tell me the cost of the weekend trader pass.

Hope to see you there. I saw your jacket at Baltimore so will keep an eye out.

Regards,

Craig

The chief advantage of the trader pass is that it gets you early admission to the floor, so you can get your name on the lists of the nibmeisters.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

And I learned from experience :blush: that you want to get your name on those lists as early as possible in the morning. And at least one booth did NOT do rollovers -- the next day I had to sign up AGAIN.... :(

My first experience at a pen show was at DCSS and it was kind of overwhelming. I don't know about any of the West Coast shows, but DC is (or at least was at the old site) ginormous. I did better the second year because I had a better feel for what to expect (I also had one year at OPS under y belt by then). And I had a better grasp of what I wanted to be looking for and what pens I wanted to get repaired (and by whom). Of course it didn't hurt that the second year I went I wasn't going on zero sleep after flying back from the West Coast and by the time I got home and repacked from two suitcases down to one I figured it would be better if I just stayed up (I had to pick up my rider at 5:30 AM, and we were aiming on getting from Pittsburgh to Tyson's Corners as close to 10 AM as possible, eating breakfast at one of the rest areas on the PA Turnpike en route, and then circling the parking garage a few times trying to find a space. And I pretty much spent most of Saturday running on caffeine and adrenaline... Mind you I was dead to the world by about 10:30 PM on Saturday -- especially after going for a swim in the hotel pool in the evening. :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I trust all will be finally fine as it always were with DC pen show. Artus handpainted and lacquer urushi pens will be there. Looking forward to see all the friends and customers.

Please stop by and say hello!

MightyEighth,

Found it ($45)!

Craig

Great! I wont be wearing a leather jacket in August, though :-)

Marc

Edited by MightyEighth

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been going for a number of years because I'm local in northern VA. I'll probably go again this year. I think the old venue out in Tyson's was a nicer hotel and set up for it. I went last year and a couple of the rooms were gridlocked because it was too tight quarters. But it's still a really nice show to go and find things. I just don't think the new venue is as nice as the previous one, though it's not terrible. I will say it's easier to get there and park than the old one - Tyson's is really busy.

Ill be at the show this year, my first pen show! 😊

Is it possible to buy the weekend pass at the hotel, when I get there?

I will be there. I signed up for a time slot with (Dan Smith) the Nibsmith who will be there. He's great! You can sign up on his web page.

I really love the DC show. I love the abundant, over-the-top quality of it. It's a little old-fashioned in its organization which is probably more annoying for the salespeople than "normal" (lol) pen enthusiasts. I usually go on Saturday or Sunday (I live in the area) and always have so much fun.