Aditkamath26

Hi everyone. I'm buying a Lamy 2000 from a perosn on FPN at a wonderful price. The pen sports a fine nib. I am too excited for this purchase as its only my second gold nib. Is there anything I need to know about this pen beforehand? The seller did tell me there is no sweet spot issue on the nib and based on writing samples, the fine looks really similar, if not slightly wider than the Platinum 3776 Century medium nib. I do own that pen with the same nib so the width ain't a problem. Anything else I should know like servicing, replacement parts, greasing the pen etc.?

Thanks and Regards,

Adit

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• 1nkulus

• carlos.q

• TheLostOne

Congratulations on your purchase!

From my experience the pen will rarely need servicing. Replacement parts are difficult to find and greasing the pen is very easy. Check out the Goulet video:

As far as the nib I find it a lot smoother than a 3776.

People complain sometimes about centering the nib in the hand. Another member passed on that you can use the nubs that hold the cap on to center the nib by the feel of them. In this way you turn something people complain about, the feel of the clutch nubs on your fingers, into a plus. As I get older and my eyesight is less sharp, I can still center the Lamy 2000 on its sweet spot by the feel of the nubs on my index finger and thumb.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I personally have issues with the slickness of the metal section. Mine will also not post (the cap will not grip; it just slips off).

Other than that, it is a great pen.

the Danitrio Fellowship

No problems. May write a bit wet - my used 2000s all do.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Love my Lamy 2000. I had no issues learning to hold it but that can be a learning curve for some. Fantastic pen - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Congratulations!

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

No issues with mine and the EF is quite smooth. I have yet to experience this 'sweet spot' issue on the half a dozen 2000's handled so far.

Robust and iconic pen... happy writing !!

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I love my broad 2000. The nib is 18k and very smooth and feels soft to write with.

It truly is a joy to write with, the very essence of why I like writing with fountain pens.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, has it arrived? What do you think!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Im so sorry I couldnt reply in the past few weeks. Unfortunately I couldnt go forward with the purchase. When everything was fine between me and the seller, I also had paid half the amount to him, just before he could ship it, the pen was stolen from him.

He was a very honest seller so he refunded all I paid. I was really quite excited but then, at times, (bleep) happens.

Im so sorry I couldnt reply in the past few weeks. Unfortunately I couldnt go forward with the purchase. When everything was fine between me and the seller, I also had paid half the amount to him, just before he could ship it, the pen was stolen from him.

He was a very honest seller so he refunded all I paid. I was really quite excited but then, at times, (bleep) happens.

That sucks. Hope you find another one soon. It is a great pen.

I am assuming you were buying from a seller in India (you paid half upfront). I would avoid buying in India owing to pricing, availability and after sales.

If, you can find one locally i.e. personally pick it up then it's fine else get friends/relatives to procure them abroad.

A few years ago, I used to send pens to a friend in India. I would collect pens throughout the year and his relative would pick them up on his UK visits.

The postal service is iffy unless you use FedEx, DHL etc.

Out of the three pens I did post, one went missing.

IIRC, the only decent store is William Penn (pricing is another matter).

I am hoping things have moved on, perhaps other users from India can chime in.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I am assuming you were buying from a seller in India (you paid half upfront). I would avoid buying in India owing to pricing, availability and after sales.

If, you can find one locally i.e. personally pick it up then it's fine else get friends/relatives to procure them abroad.

A few years ago, I used to send pens to a friend in India. I would collect pens throughout the year and his relative would pick them up on his UK visits.

The postal service is iffy unless you use FedEx, DHL etc.

Out of the three pens I did post, one went missing.

IIRC, the only decent store is William Penn (pricing is another matter).

I am hoping things have moved on, perhaps other users from India can chime in.

I am an Indian but I live in the UAE, where fountain pens are rare. Here Lamy 2000 is way to overpriced. Hence, I decided to buy used from a person in India who sold it for half the Indian price which would roughly b around 101 USD. Buying from abroad isn't really an option for me since my budget isn't very high. Also shipping is exorbitant. Similar to your experience, I lost pens once in the mail which were ordered through Goulet Pens and shipped via USPS.

All this leaves me to save the Lamy 2000 for some other time.

I am an Indian but I live in the UAE, where fountain pens are rare. Here Lamy 2000 is way to overpriced. Hence, I decided to buy used from a person in India who sold it for half the Indian price which would roughly b around 101 USD. Buying from abroad isn't really an option for me since my budget isn't very high. Also shipping is exorbitant. Similar to your experience, I lost pens once in the mail which were ordered through Goulet Pens and shipped via USPS.

All this leaves me to save the Lamy 2000 for some other time.

If you are UAE based, then I would just order directly from Europe. You will get it VAT free and free postage (over 150 EUR).

I have not heard of any issues with Emirates Post.

As for your Goulet order, you would have got a complete refund for non delivery.

At present, your best option will be ordering from Cult Pens in the UK. Free delivery and VAT free. You can ask them to check it prior to dispatch.

They have all the nibs in stock and the landed cost should be under $140 (at present FX rates).

IMO, you get a new tested pen with zero fuss.

The only other option is to order from Massdrop and have a US based friend/relative post it to you. Even then, I doubt you would have much left over from $140.

Engineer :