Historical Parker Nibs Reading "parker Pen Made In Usa"

ardene

Edit: for some reason the system cannot keep "Parker" and "S" and "A" in capital letters. My apologies,but I cannot do much about that.

I find myself in dire need of the wisdom of the fellow FPN members. My question is actually hair-splitting about vintage Parker nib history, but I find the topic interesting.

My interest in this topic has arisen after I found a Parker Lady Duofold on ebay (and which is sitting right next to me right now). Its nib reads "Parker Pen Made In U.S.A."

Now some nib gossip for those interested in such things: The nib is a thick fine with Waterman serenity blue inside. It writes rather wet with the same ink. It can hard start when the ink in the sac is almost depleted, but only on smooth paper and towards the bottom of the page. (Maybe the way paper sheets are made the paper gets more stretched at the bottom? I've had this bottom-page effect with other pens which aren't really wet). It is an excellent nib overall. Picture of my pen's nib below this paragraph.

post-143921-0-90309500-1530623608.jpg

I am 95% certain that my pen's had its nib replaced at some point, maybe just a short time after it was purchased. From the barrel imprint I can date it to 1929-30. Most Duofolds had a curved "Duofold" on their nibs as far as I know. Interestingly, I have found online pictures of a couple of Jack-Knife pens with a nib with this imprint. These would normally have a nib including the words "Lucky Curve". Below is a picture I found online of a Jack-Knife which was for sale at some point and has this nib.

post-143921-0-23374800-1530624655_thumb.jpg

I have also found another Jack-Knife with this type of nib in these forums.

Finally, I have seen a picture of a True Blue with this type of nib at http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Parker/ParkerTrueBlues.htm

Does anyone know anything more about the "Parker Pen Made In U.S.A." nib?

Edited by ardene

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ardene

• FarmBoy

• Greenie

Was the seller firebreakline?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Dear FarmBoy,

Yes. You noticed the signature towel? The pen was listed as Parker Duofold [partially correct, it's obviously a Lady Duofold] Deluxe [sic, not a formal name although it was among the most expensive pens offered by Parker] - USA [correct], Moderne Green Black Marble [sic, sic, sic, it's Moderne Black and Pearl] with Gold Trim, Circa 1920s [too vague, happens to be accurate in this case because the pen happens to have an imprint carried from 1929 to 1930 only]. Otherwise their description was accurate and the photographs all right. I'd say that if someone made some online historical research, the description of the item is more than reasonably transparent. Have you had any experience with them?

Edited by ardene

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased a couple of pens from that seller. All came from Hong Kong, not UK. The description of "worldwide" locations seems to be a tad exaggerated. All very strongly smelling of smoke, one of my pet peeves. The pens themselves are OK. Seller does a good job of playing up the good points. No real bad flaws, but somehow I recall being underwhelmed. So, definitely a reliable seller, items as described, but caveat emptor with regards to swapped parts, tiny pens not pointed out to be small (only listed in the measurement), photo of a ding visible in the last pic only and not otherwise mentioned. Things like that. Not at all dishonest, but not as quick to point out flaws as many pen sellers will do.

In my case the pen was as described. The scratches were pointed out by the seller. The pen has a missing ring from the top which wasn't expressed in language but I could see that from the pictures. The pen arrived from Hong Kong. Overall I am satisfied with this seller. But then in my case, I was looking specifically for a Duofold.