When Are The New Lamy Inks Coming?

jolsson

In the Goulet Pen Company's interview with Lamy's CEO, he (the CEO) mentions that several new inks are coming out this year. Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Namo

• ErrantSmudge

• TSherbs

No but looking forward to them! I wish they would make the limited edition orange a regular selection!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I am hoping they don't repeat an old color with new packaging. :D

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Well, that CEO got fired. Let's hope he didn't took the plans for new inks with him.

Well, that CEO got fired. Let's hope he didn't took the plans for new inks with him.

Wait, what? Why? I just did a quick search and it basically reads like the classic "creative differences/ directional differences" and a surprising exit, he's now replaced by 3 people who've been with the company for a while as well..

I hope the Goulet interview wasn't a factor? But in any case, considering how long he's been with Lamy and what he's done for the company I find it quite shocking.

Here's an article I found, it's in German though

https://www.rnz.de/wirtschaft/wirtschaft-regional_artikel,-heidelberg-Ueberraschender-fuehrungswechsel-bei-lamy-_arid,364108.html

On when the inks come out.. I'm wondering about that too, they should've been on the market for a while now acc to their plan as per Goulet interview.

• 2 weeks later...

"Specs" issue 2 is out from Lamy. They have an article on ink, and in it we find this:

This is why Lamy creates limited special colours every year in addition to the standard colours of blue, black, green, purple, turquoise and red – in line with the Special Editions of LAMY safari and LAMY AL-star. “At the end of this year we are also introducing an ink collection with ten new colours,” reveals Trapp. Muted and neutral colours form an integral part of the collection, as do radiant colours in a special glass flacon.

So it looks like the new inks are coming at the end of the year, and a new bottle design perhaps?

Direct link to article (english): https://specs.lamy.com/en/specs-vol-2/blau-und-mehr-im-reich-der-tinte

End of the year you say? Now I have even MORE reason to try to get to the Lamy Soho store when I head east at Christmastime!

Thanks for posting the English language link, and to dennis_f for the Google Translate link. Both very interesting reading.

I know that a lot of people said that Pacifica Blue was the same color as Lamy Turquoise but I'm wondering how much that is paper and pen dependent (I have two bottles of Pacifica). I'm very interested to see what the new colors will be (I'd LOVE for them to make Dark Lilac a regular color -- I got two bottles when I had the chance and am kicking myself that I didn't get a third one...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'll believe it when I see it.

I still have doubts, that they will refrain from 'new bottle, old color' trick. :P

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, what? Why? I just did a quick search and it basically reads like the classic "creative differences/ directional differences" and a surprising exit, he's now replaced by 3 people who've been with the company for a while as well..

I hope the Goulet interview wasn't a factor? But in any case, considering how long he's been with Lamy and what he's done for the company I find it quite shocking.

Here's an article I found, it's in German though

https://www.rnz.de/wirtschaft/wirtschaft-regional_artikel,-heidelberg-Ueberraschender-fuehrungswechsel-bei-lamy-_arid,364108.html

On when the inks come out.. I'm wondering about that too, they should've been on the market for a while now acc to their plan as per Goulet interview.

I doubt Goulet visiting the factory and giving consumers a very great and positive look at an iconic company was responsible. If it was, not that it's good in anyway, but Brian should feel flattered a couple interviews would bring a CEO down. Which, probably meant other issues long before.

I think this was a pretty obvious in coming. The complete debacle on LE inks over the past few years that weren't rectified until this year. The shifts in distributors and price increases arbitrarily going with that. The back and forth on what nib sizes to sell in the USA. I get Asia is a bigger market, but the USA is also the third most populous country and fountain pens are doing OK here. Sorta self fulfilling prophecy if you limit and ignore a market, you won't see it being a very hot market, so less resources aimed at it. The cycle continues.

To that point, has Lamy made anything interesting lately? I know they do the LE colors on some models, but once you've used a Safari or Al-Star, you've used them all. A slightly brighter yellow is cool, but certainly not innovative. I know the interviews they did with Goulet they like to be measured and work with new folks to make a pen and they aren't rushing out 15 models a year. I guess the fact the top end is cool with the 2k and Dialog 3 being iconic and unique respectively, their mid-range pens all look similar.

They need to be a bit more quick I think, while preserving their measured ways and that's always a hard balance. But, they don't serve the ultra high end such as Namiki or Visconti or Danitrio, so they gotta appeal to regular folks and stand out. I mean Jinhao made a shark pen. The whole cap is a freakin' shark!!!

To that point, has Lamy made anything interesting lately? I know they do the LE colors on some models, but once you've used a Safari or Al-Star, you've used them all. A slightly brighter yellow is cool, but certainly not innovative. I know the interviews they did with Goulet they like to be measured and work with new folks to make a pen and they aren't rushing out 15 models a year. I guess the fact the top end is cool with the 2k and Dialog 3 being iconic and unique respectively, their mid-range pens all look similar.

+1

Lamy is pretty much Safari, 2K and Dialog 3.

Studio and Scala are similar pens with the Scala being newer, longer and almost double the price. :wallbash:

OTOH, Cross is just Century/Century II and Townsend.

I doubt there is any innovation left in FP, it is just a case of colors and embellishments.

Engineer :

I'd argue studio and scala are very different pens, I much prefer the feel of my scala to my studio. Now CP1/Logo/....

I guess everyone forgot Lamy introduced the Aion late last year?

And let's not forget the Imporium and the lower priced Accent (especially the Brillant, with gold nib)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

+1

Lamy is pretty much Safari, 2K and Dialog 3.

Absolutely not. Lamy is without any doubt the most dynamic brand where design is concerned. And if you have a look at the BP production, this is even more obvious.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I'd argue studio and scala are very different pens, I much prefer the feel of my scala to my studio. Now CP1/Logo/....

I too prefer the Scala but use both, mood/day dependent.

The Logo is a fine VFM option whereas the CP1... :doh:

Engineer :

Absolutely not. Lamy is without any doubt the most dynamic brand where design is concerned. And if you have a look at the BP production, this is even more obvious.

Theoretically, Yes. Practically, No.

Safari, 2K and Dialog 3 signify Lamy innovation and those three would be my recommendation to those venturing into the world of Lamytastic.

I agree Lamy is an innovative brand.

As for BP's, the refills are awful IMO which is a shame and I am unaware of any substitutes.

Engineer :

Theoretically, Yes. Practically, No.

Safari, 2K and Dialog 3 signify Lamy innovation and those three would be my recommendation to those venturing into the world of Lamytastic.

I agree Lamy is an innovative brand.

As for BP's, the refills are awful IMO which is a shame and I am unaware of any substitutes.

I was talking about design inventiveness, not about the general

quality of the pens. I am not an expert, but the Pico, the Noto, the Dialog 1... well.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I was talking about design inventiveness, not about the general

quality of the pens. I am not an expert, but the Pico, the Noto, the Dialog 1... well.

Lamy has a lot of quirky designs in it's arsenal and the quality is quite good. CS is slow and satisfying IMO.

My point initially was from a FP perspective, and the three models mentioned aptly represent Lamy and are currently available.

The Dialog 1 and 2 were great, sadly now out of production.

Engineer :