Wahl Oxford Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

There are quite a few great photos and ads of Wahl Oxford pens scattered around the forum. I would like to propose consolidating them into one thread, useful for research on these colorful second tier pens. Please re-post or post new photos, catalogs and ads as you have them. I don't have that much to post, but will start it.

This is a Wahl Oxford lever fill fountain pen in Red Metallic Pearl celluloid c. 1938-1939. It's 4 7/8 inches long capped and has gold plated trim. The barrel is stamped WAHL OXFORD over MADE IN U S A over MAKE OF over EVERSHARP. Interestingly the barrel imprint is oriented so that the pen has to be held nib down to read it. Catalogued colors included Jet Black, Red Metallic Pearl, Green Metallic Pearl, and Grey Metallic Pearl. The small 14 karat gold nib is stamped WAHL over OXFORD over 2 over 14K over MADE IN USA. The pen sold for $1.50 and a pen and matching Eversharp pencil set sold for $2.35.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlOxfordRedMarble_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Estragon

• cunim

• Wahlnut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's one that's scruffier than yours but has the same imprint. It arrived with an atrocious SelectoGold nib. Now has a flex #2.

fpn_1530641202__oxford_1_of_1.jpg

Here's one that's scruffier than yours but has the same imprint. It arrived with an atrocious SelectoGold nib. Now has a flex #2.

What a great color! I like the twisted celluloid.

What a great idea, Jim! Here's a photo of my NPT Oxfords (cross-posted from a recent thread):

yZJZ3po.jpg

The first is a Twist Filler set in a color called "Silver with a Black spiral web" in one advert. It's followed by a couple unusual variants. Anyone know of any catalogued examples of the spiral or watermelon stripe pens (#3 and #4 above)?

Jim: Do the 4 pens on the right correspond to the '[x] Metallic Pearl' catalogued colors you've identified? If so, was 'Blue Metallic Pearl' not listed among them?

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

This is from a mail order catalog page scan I have in my files. The source catalog is unknown and I can't confirm the date, possibly 1938. This shows the Metallic color names. Note two cap bands.

post-225-0-26123800-1530705323_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

This catalog page is posted elsewhere on FPN, so I thought I would move it here. It is supposed to be 1939. Note two models, changes from the previous version and differences between the two models.

post-225-0-76358300-1530709941_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

This is a third variant, the Select-O-Point, from another FPN thread and stated as 1939. Note differences from first two on previous post. Note the swirl celluloids.

post-225-0-14218300-1530710229_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

This is one more scan from my files, probably from an eBay listing. A mail order catalog page the seller said was 1941. I don't have anything later. Note that there are both Wahl Oxford and Eversharp Select-O-Point versions on this page.

post-225-0-74788200-1530710891_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

How interesting, Jim. Now I know where my SelectOPoint A came from. It is a truly unpleasant nib. Utility nails seem to have gotten even cheaper (and better) with time, given that a Chinese nib that is better than the SelectOPoint costs less than $0.35. I wonder what the "C" point was like. Plus ca change ......

How interesting, Jim. Now I know where my SelectOPoint A came from. It is a truly unpleasant nib. Utility nails seem to have gotten even cheaper (and better) with time, given that a Chinese nib that is better than the SelectOPoint costs less than $0.35. I wonder what the "C" point was like. Plus ca change ......

The appeal for me is the amazing celluloids that were used on the chunky profile, that really shows it off. Some of them, as can be seen above are just outstanding.

These adverts are extremely insightful, Jim. Thanks for sharing. Based on what I'm seeing, it appears W-E introduced the flat-ball clip around 1939, a change they touted as a feature of the "Special" model until this clip became standard.

As for celluloid colors/patterns on these late Oxfords, can we also say that c.1939 was the point at which W-E made the shift from "Pearl" to "Swirl"? This would suggest the following color options:

?-1939: Jet, Green, Red, Grey PEARL

1939-41?: Jet, Brown, Green, Blue SWIRL (with blue being first made available in 1940 perhaps)

Then there are at least 2 oddball patterns that crop up on pens with Oxford imprints and/or features: SPIRAL and STREAK(?) – see pens in slots 3 and 4 in my last post. I should mention that my green STREAK pen above bears an Oxford imprint on the barrel. Meanwhile, here's another example of a SPIRAL pen from my collection in green. Unlike my black and grey spiral pen, this one has gold-plated trim with "WAHL OXFORD" stamped on the clip and Oxford imprint on the barrel. Most of the spiral Oxfords I've seen have plain 14k Eversharp nibs (as opposed to SS Select-O-Points).

UOdFejB.jpg

Edited by Estragon

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

Speaking of nibs, here's a shot of the same tray I posted above:

HOkw0yc.jpg

I still need to straighten/replace a couple of these. Note that the gold wash on the Select-O-Points is very thin and frequently found washed off!

I wonder what the "C" point was like.

No less unpleasant in my experience. Hardly flexible at all, really. The Select-O-Points leave much to be desired, IMO. Definitely outperformed by their 9xxx series Esterbrook Renew Point counterparts.

Edited by Estragon

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

These adverts are extremely insightful, Jim. Thanks for sharing. Based on what I'm seeing, it appears W-E introduced the flat-ball clip around 1939, a change they touted as a feature of the "Special" model until this clip became standard.

As for celluloid colors/patterns on these late Oxfords, can we also say that c.1939 was the point at which W-E made the shift from "Pearl" to "Swirl"? This would suggest the following color options:

?-1939: Jet, Green, Red, Grey PEARL

1939-41?: Jet, Brown, Green, Blue SWIRL (with blue being first made available in 1940 perhaps)

Then there are at least 2 oddball patterns that crop up on pens with Oxford imprints and/or features: SPIRAL and STREAK(?) – see pens in slots 3 and 4 in my last post. I should mention that my green STREAK pen above bears an Oxford imprint on the barrel. Meanwhile, here's another example of a SPIRAL pen from my collection in green. Unlike my black and grey spiral pen, this one has gold-plated trim with "WAHL OXFORD" stamped on the clip and Oxford imprint on the barrel. Most of the spiral Oxfords I've seen have plain 14k Eversharp nibs (as opposed to SS Select-O-Points).

As best as I can tell, as the scans aren't actually dated, that it correct. I'm not surprised to see colors/patterns missing from a mail order catalog. It's possible the catalog company only wanted a few options and Eversharp had more. It's also possible that your more wild patterns are short runs or special orders. Who knows! It's ALSO possible that the mail order catalog is not using the "official" name for the pattern. :)

As for the nibs. I'm amazed at how many ugly nibs write well and vise versa. They were all probably pretty good when they left the factory but abuse over time will wear on anything. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Great Thread guys! Thank for your great pics Jim. Youre the best!

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• 2 weeks later...

I own serveral Eversharps mostly Dorics (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/337121-eversharp-gold-seal-nib-spare-part/), but only one Oxford, marked:

WAHL OXFORD

MADE IN USA

BY THE MAKERS OF
EVERSHARP

It has a #2 nib marked "Wahl Oxford 2 14 kt Made in USA".

I don't know, where the name Oxford comes from. It's made in the USA, so it won't have anything to do with Oxford, GB, will it?

I'd like to know more about the sub brand Oxford.

Hansjürgen

post-141808-0-01103200-1533284878_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I own serveral Eversharps mostly Dorics (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/337121-eversharp-gold-seal-nib-spare-part/), but only one Oxford, marked:

WAHL OXFORD

MADE IN USA

BY THE MAKERS OF

EVERSHARP

It has a #2 nib marked "Wahl Oxford 2 14 kt Made in USA".

I don't know, where the name Oxford comes from. It's made in the USA, so it won't have anything to do with Oxford, GB, will it?

I'd like to know more about the sub brand Oxford.

Hansjürgen

attachicon.gif IMG_5180.JPG

Okay, I have one in green that is the same as yours. Does anyone know what the name or model is?

Thanks

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange.png

• 1 year later...

Sorry for necro-posting.  I saw a Wahl Oxford in an antique store near me yesterday, but didn't know enough to know if the price was good or not (the seller also had what I considered to be an overpriced Parker 45, which I also passed on).  And of course I would have to factor in the cost of repairs, on top of that.  But the pen looked to be in good shape (although clearly the sac was toast), and it was a pretty color (sorry, no pix -- I wasn't sure I could sneak one).  IIRC, it looked similar to the photo that Estragon posted in shape, but was more of a blue marble color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."