The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vintage Aurora 88 - A Gift From The Past

italian pens hooded nibs piston fillers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 EDC

EDC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:27

OK, let us be complete. Filling any pen it should be automatic to wipe excess ink off the nib on the bottle as you withdraw it.

In the case of piston fillers I then make three more slight movements with the piston: down a smidgin (pen over the bottle or else up-pointed), back up the same smidgin, then down half a smidgin (pointed up). Then comes the section / nib wipe I mentioned. My thinking behind those extra piston movements is to remove excess ink from the feed area, but not to leave the piston tight at the back of the barrel. The latter notion comes from something I read about Aurora 88s somewhere.

In the case of plunge fillers, having completed the fill I leave the shutoff valve closed until the ink line visibly weakens, which can take a little while. This has resolved early-blob issues for those. All forms of rubber sac pen are simply used after the cosmetic wipe.

Deep in the weeds on filling technique. I love it. And appreciate you taking the time to share.

Sponsored Content

#22 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2018 - 14:38

They booth share roots in design: Olivetti for the Aurora 88 vs Braun for the Lamy 2000. They are both piston-filler pens with hooded nibs and pull-off caps. They are similar in size (the Lamy at being a little heavier) and both write well posted and unposted.

the Aurora 88 was not designed by Olivetti, but by Marcello Nizzoli, an industrial designer who designed also for Olivetti.

#23 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2018 - 15:04

This thread made me pull out my 888P and it's as fantastic as I remembered.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#24 EDC

EDC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 00:11

the Aurora 88 was not designed by Olivetti, but by Marcello Nizzoli, an industrial designer who designed also for Olivetti.

Indeed! Thank you. That's an important distinction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: italian pens, hooded nibs, piston fillers

Sponsored Content

|