How Much Money Do You Have Tied Up In Your Pen Collection?

Driften

@ Driften

Glad it is holding up well and has become an EDC.

IMO, pens are writing + statement in equal measure. I would stay with the maxi rather than a midi, if it works out.

I am pleased the dreamtouch nib is enjoyable. How different is it to your M600?

It is surprising the Visconti is coming from AUS, the traffic normally tends to be the other way. :D

Hope it was a good deal? Lovely color, though.

Instead of a leather slip, you could look for padded cloth/silk.

I'm in this mode also. Sell off some pens to buy something nicer. At the Denver show last year I traded a Montblanc Dumas (duplicate) and a PFM V and some additional pen cash for my Grail pen... Visconti Ti LE Skelton! Most of my purchases now come from selling several nice pens for one nicer pen. Keeping pen money in pens without adding to the overall value of my collection.

+1

Is the section on the Visconti made of titanium or grey plastic? I like the clip design, which is something that bothers me on the normal Visconti's.

Would you mind disclosing the price, in case I decide to hunt for it (pm me, if you prefer)?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• 1nkulus

• inkstainedruth

• surprise123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ Driften

Glad it is holding up well and has become an EDC.

IMO, pens are writing + statement in equal measure. I would stay with the maxi rather than a midi, if it works out.

I am pleased the dreamtouch nib is enjoyable. How different is it to your M600?

It is surprising the Visconti is coming from AUS, the traffic normally tends to be the other way. :D

Hope it was a good deal? Lovely color, though.

Instead of a leather slip, you could look for padded cloth/silk.

I normally leave my larger pens like my m805, MB 146, etc for desk use. My m600/m400/m101n work better for small pockets. I think the HS maxi sized it one of my most comfortable pens to write with. I love the hour glass shape to the section and even though it's the heaviest pen I own, it does not feel like it when writing. I have medium hands and unless the pen is thinner then a m400 or as thick in the section as a mb 149 I am normally good. Sometimes the MB 149 makes my hands shake, but the HS has never done that even though it is heavier. I think it's the nicer section on the HS.

The Visconti I ordered was a limited edition only sold in Australia. There were a number of special pens for that market and might order from Rozmenko on eBay a Barrier Reef or Daintree model Visconti that were also limited numbers (150 made) and only to that market.

But at the moment waiting for Mr UPS to show up with my Opera...

@ Driften

I like heavier pens and I am glad you are enjoying your Maxi.

Heavier pens tend to glide better, IMO.

I wasn't aware the Opera was an AUS edition. Hopefully, it should turn up so you can enjoy it over the weekend.

How do you find the dreamtouch nib?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

@ Driften

I like heavier pens and I am glad you are enjoying your Maxi.

Heavier pens tend to glide better, IMO.

I wasn't aware the Opera was an AUS edition. Hopefully, it should turn up so you can enjoy it over the weekend.

How do you find the dreamtouch nib?

Not all Opera models, but this one was. It's a numbered edition limited to 200 and was only for this market. I love the dream touch nib. It's a soft smooth writing experience. Nicer then the hard nibs on most Pelikans, but I use a soft touch and don't mind hard nibs.

Not all Opera models, but this one was. It's a numbered edition limited to 200 and was only for this market. I love the dream touch nib. It's a soft smooth writing experience. Nicer then the hard nibs on most Pelikans, but I use a soft touch and don't mind hard nibs.

Which nib width? I too use a soft touch and find heavier pens offer a smooth experience.

I am getting tempted to give Visconti another shot.

The plain design of the Barrier Reef and Daintree look similar to the Parker Duofold from the 20's and 30's.

Engineer :

Which nib width? I too use a soft touch and find heavier pens offer a smooth experience.

I am getting tempted to give Visconti another shot.

The plain design of the Barrier Reef and Daintree look similar to the Parker Duofold from the 20's and 30's.

My HS is a B and puts down a 0.65mm - 0.75mm line on the down strokes and 0.4mm on the horizontal ones. People have said the QA is better on the new ones then on the ones from the last few years. On the Opera LE I had the seller test the nib before sending.

Is the section on the Visconti made of titanium or grey plastic? I like the clip design, which is something that bothers me on the normal Visconti's.

Would you mind disclosing the price, in case I decide to hunt for it (pm me, if you prefer)?

The body, blind cap, cap, clip and section are all Titanium. The going price for this pen (if you can find one) is around $1600 to $1800.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The body, blind cap, cap, clip and section are all Titanium. The going price for this pen (if you can find one) is around $1600 to $1800.

I sold one not too long ago in fantastic shape for about $700. (No box or papers though). It took time to sell too. Maybe I should hit up more pen shows to sell?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

My HS is a B and puts down a 0.65mm - 0.75mm line on the down strokes and 0.4mm on the horizontal ones.

On the Opera LE I had the seller test the nib before sending.

:thumbup:

What nib is on the Opera, is it a stub?

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

:thumbup:

What nib is on the Opera, is it a stub?

That was the measurements for the standard B on the Homo sapiens, The Opera that should be here any moment, I ordered with a M.

@ Driften

Are you finally playing with the Opera and will you get that M nib tweaked by a nibmeister? CI or a stub, perhaps.

Engineer :

@ Driften

Are you finally playing with the Opera and will you get that M nib tweaked by a nibmeister? CI or a stub, perhaps.

Yes it's a nice pen and the nib does not have any issues, but it writes finer then a M, it's closer to a F. The Homo Sapiens B writes about 1/2 way between M and B. Both are fine without a trip to be tweaked. I do really like CI's but I think it will be my B Lamy 2000 that is next to get a CI. I do think I will start a thread about the new Opera.

Hi

An interesting question. Looking at the excellent database provided years ago by jonro, it seems that I have spent around 7800€ in pens for the last 20 years. Obviously I have sold many of these so my collection stands at exactly 40 pieces, which is a reasonable point to me. Adding inks, paper, notebooks, pencils leather cases, I assume that it would get closer to 10000€. Thank goodness much of that money is in the form of presents from my wife. Having saild that, compared to watches, rare books or wines, this is a very reasonable hobby , whre you can get top quality for a fraction of what a good mechanical watch can cost. On top of that it is a hobby in which personal communication is encouraged. So I am very happy with my collection, but I do not want to make it bigger. And no, it is not a good investment but the fun I have got from it is a price worth paying.

“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Yes it's a nice pen and the nib does not have any issues, but it writes finer then a M, it's closer to a F. The Homo Sapiens B writes about 1/2 way between M and B. Both are fine without a trip to be tweaked. I do really like CI's but I think it will be my B Lamy 2000 that is next to get a CI. I do think I will start a thread about the new Opera.

Excellent, glad you are having fun and no issues.

A CI tweak is nice, start with the Lamy and move on to the Opera. ;)

An Opera thread will be highly appreciated.

Engineer :

Well, my number has not been going down. Oh well, tomorrow is a new opportunity to sell. Why is is so much easier to buy than sell for me?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I don't want to think of it, but less than I have tied up in photo equipment.

Well, my number has not been going down. Oh well, tomorrow is a new opportunity to sell. Why is is so much easier to buy than sell for me?

The answer to that for me came a couple years back, from repurchasing a pen I didn't think I liked enough to keep because I missed it more than I thought :headsmack:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I don't think I want to go there. I might break out in sense.

Yeah, let's not go there.

Thank you, I shall keep a lookout... definitely a med/long term hunt as it is over 16 years.

I sold one not too long ago in fantastic shape for about $700. (No box or papers though). It took time to sell too. Maybe I should hit up more pen shows to sell?

:doh: :doh:

Should pay more attention to the classifieds. Which nib?

Engineer :