How Much Money Do You Have Tied Up In Your Pen Collection?

Driften

Ink, paper/notebooks, cases and cleaning items should not count. They can be used for other purposes not dependent on fountain pens.

Fountain pens have only one use - to transmit liquid ink to a receptive surface. Purity in purpose and design.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• 1nkulus

• inkstainedruth

• surprise123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too much. 15000USD atleast. I wouldn't say it is tied up, because I enjoy 80% of the pens i have and i never had any regret. :-)

I don't have any money "tied up" as that implies I'm clinging to a vague notion of recovering some of the money through selling off pens. I can't see myself ever bothering to sell pens. I regard the the money spent on fountain pens as spent, gone, consumed ... but in exchange I have fountain pens.

Far less than when I was into sports cars and racing, way less than when sailing, likely slightly more than in custom knives and vintage handguns.

I hunt for the cheap ones nobody else wants. So I have maybe 50 pens for ca.

100 usd. My favorite is a Watermans Taperite Crusader that I got for 3 bucks.

In another thread about where to sell pens it got me looking at my spreadsheet of pens I added a sum cell to add up the prices I paid for the modern pens I have. I was surprised by what I saw. I have $5,310 spent on my current pens with an average of $160 per pen. I have a Bexley 56 and a Pelikan m200 amber demonstrator from 2008 I have no idea what I paid for, but otherwise the amount is correct.

I do have a few vintage pens I have no idea what I paid for that are not included in all of this. I expect when I work out the value on them I will sell those since I don't use them. I did sell $780 worth of pens that helped fund some of the current ones along with a few pocket knives.

How much do you have tied up in this hobby?

What kind of knives? I want to resell some of my pens for a nice Benchmade.

I just sniped a Parker 51 aero for $9.99 on eBay which brings my collection to:

One Ariel Kullock P51 double jewel demonstrator ($20 for demonstrator parts and $9 for the P51)

One Navy Grey P51 Aero ($50)

TWSBI Eco ($25)

Jinhao 159 ($4)

Parker 21 Super ($10)

I used to have a Waterman 502 and a Sheaffer Touchdown, but I started to appreciate Parker 51's more so they were sold off to accommodate my P51 fever. I also found out the stress relieving way of bid sniping through sniper websites.

What kind of knives? I want to resell some of my pens for a nice Benchmade.

Chris Reeves Knives for the most part. Things like this:

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/bwcfsebenza-2.jpeg

Don't have much left from my custom knife days.

Don't get me started on knives! At the St Lewis show this past weekend, David Broadwell sold me this wonderful knife! I converted a good many fountain pens into knife money and came home with this beauty!

post-5351-0-51385300-1530634064_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Don't get me started on knives! At the St Lewis show this past weekend, David Broadwell sold me this wonderful knife! I converted a good many fountain pens into knife money and came home with this beauty!

That is one really nice knife...

I started adding up what I spent on pens after being in the hobby for a year or two and didn't like what I found so I stopped keeping track. I've rarely paid retail price for a pen and I lucked out on a few pens that have gone up in value but I doubt I would break even if I sold out.

About 70% of my pens cost cost somewhere between $100-$200, with two King of Pens, a Pelikan M625, and GvFC Classic costing a bit more. I try to keep my collection down to what I can fit in a single layered display case, so that is 12 pens right now. I'd say $2300-$3200 - actually not as bad as I feel sometimes. I'm planning on selling off everything but my King of Pens and Faber Castell Ondoro's soon as I only use pens for writing these days and just want to keep the pens I write with the most on hand.

I also probably have close to $500 worth of paper and $300 worth of leather cases. Fortunately, unlike others, I was spared from an ink addiction and stick to a few tried and true Pilot Iroshizuku inks.

I have already sold abut half of my collection, but I still have too much invested in it.

I have already sold abut half of my collection, but I still have too much invested in it.

did you sell to repurchase pens or for walking-around $$ ??

Your Hakase Turtle shell with Buffalo Horn is a work of art.

Thank you. :) That itself is about 2/3rd of the above figure.

Looking for something more beautiful though, perhaps one day.. Namiki emperor Goldfish or 95th anniversary ascending dragon :)

Edited by Mew

$500

I have many more books than pens, but I have nearly stopped buying books. I don't read as much anymore. I usually just read things after my wife finishes them.

Edited by TSherbs

I keep track of how much I've spent on individual pens, including repair work, for inventory purposes; and I also have a spread sheet just for my own interest, of how much I've paid (believe me -- there are a LOT more in the section of columns of lower priced pens... :rolleyes:). But have not totaled it up.....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

You have a spread sheet but have not executed the SUM command at the bottom of that "amount paid" column?

At this level is there the user vs collector debate among knife people?

gary