Molskine Books

bobs51

Not a user, but during a visit to my local Target store, I noted a large selection of models and colors on the shelves. No idea of pricing since I don't use these, but it's certainly a convenient source for those of us in the US.

Listed on Target.com... you can select your local store to see what's in stock.

Usual disclaimer.. don't work for them.. etc.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Studio97

• sansenri

• bobs51

• inkstainedruth

My local Target has them as well. But I think that Moleskin journals, in general, are (a) expensive (although I didn't look at the Target pricetage); and (B) I've heard that the paper is not remotely FP friendly unless you're using a EF or smaller nib and a really dry ink.

I find Moleskin to be fairly ubiquitous -- you can also get them at Barnes & Noble, the last time I noticed.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

yes, it's sort of a crapshoot with Moleskine notebooks. I have bought two six-packs from Costco and some of the pages show no bleed through at all while pages in another book are very porous. I do use F nibs mostly

Costco has a package of 6 large cahiers for $10.

Moleskine is generally loathed around here but I like the pocket hardcovers. My fountain pen usage is a bit different but I have seventy of these little notebooks and, after trying many other mfrs and form factors, see no reason to change.

Your mileage and opinions, of course, should vary from mine.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I actually passed up a clearance package at Sam's club: moleskine pen with two A5 notebooks for only $8.00. I have too many Moleskine notebooks now. (I gave,away 2 to my daughter and grandaughter).

They're fairly well designed and are good choices for sketching and watercolor purposes. However, as others mentioned their paper doesn't work with fountain pen ink. I haven't tried the watercolor notebook paper, but it's a bit of an overkill to get a notebook with such a high gsm paper just to be able to use fountain pens anyway.

I have used several watercolor books and sketchbooks with a variety of media: acrylic, pen & ink, various dry media and watercolor, all to good effect.

Appreciate the tip.

I have used small pocket Moleskine notebooks and I'm using one now. I'm not a fountain pen user, however. The good I can say about them is they hold up very well (at least for me) when carried in a pocket and used everyday.

Right now I have a couple other similar small notebooks in the drawer waiting their turn when the current notebook is filled.

- Ira

I acquired one Moleskine made in Vietnam which I had,never seen before. Will see how that paper is,with FP but in any case I write with everything. Need to test new orange/honeycomb MS I recently picked up.

Buy only when on greatly reduced price:more enjoyable that way too.

I like the Moleskine notebook formats, especially the smaller sizes, as they are well made, and look nice.

The real problem is the paper they use. The quality of the paper is regretfully "bad" if judged for fountain pen use.

(if you use a pencil or ball point it is fine, I never use the latter but sometimes do use mechanical pencils)

When used with a fountain pen bleed through is very bad, and that depends on the quality and thickness of the paper.

I still use the Moleskine notebook formats as I find them useful, for things like to do lists, but write only on one side of the page... (and put up with the ugly bleed though showing on the opposite page...)

Try a,fine point FP with waterman serenity blue. Works well for me. I use both sides of the page,always.

Just tested the Vietnam version and it will need the fine point FP.

Edited by Studio97

Try a,fine point FP with waterman serenity blue. Works well for me. I use both sides of the page,always.

I have also had moderate success with Noodler's black in a drier pen.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Wouldn’t waste money on a Moleskine. The Cahiers bleed right thru. Their recent Leuchtterm 1917 knock-offs started ok for me, but after a few pages, the quality changed. Suddenly, there was continuous bleed through. Shifted to other fountain pens, other inks, and they all caused bleed through. Down to writing on the front of pages only.

As long as a little bleed through does not make my writing unreadable on the backside of the page it doesn't bother me. I'm retired so none of my writing is for work,,,just piece of mind. And anyway I don't pay retail for any notebook brand. It has to be 65% off or more or I pass on them. So I have a,substantial collection of low cost Moleskine I enjoy with the right FP, rollerball, gels ,ball points and my charcoal stick. ...and crayons from Switzerland.

as an alternative I use Clairfontaine A5 size ring notebooks.

The cover is not as sturdy and it is of lighter less pleasant looking cardboard, but the paper is SO much better!

If I am not mistaken Clairfontaine makes the paper for some of the best notebooks on the market, including some well known brands.

I have found Clairefontaine notebooks to be cheaper than Moleskine in some stationary shops. Online purchase is not so convenient, shipping costs add to much expense usually.