Is There Anything New Left For Inks?

pen_master

At some point I am expecting to see a Pilot FriXion kind of ink for fountain pens. Not that I am particularly interested, but it sounds sensible since erasable gelpens still get some some attention.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen_master

• Cyber6

• Mulrich

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Color-change ink? (Goes down one color wet and dries to a distinctly different color)

Rainbow sheen?

Heat reactive (Changes color at a specific temperature point; hidden ink possibilities here...)

Light reactive ink (looks different or becomes visible under certain light only)

Works on non-absorbent surfaces (like a Sharpie marker)

Shimmer inks with particulates that stay suspended

Multi-color effects

Special dispensing system that allows for variegated color writing.

Probably not. I think even all the colors on the RAL chart have been covered among the various brands.

Although, I am hoping for more Noodlers 'bulletproof' qualities from mainstream manufacturers.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Probably not. I think even all the colors on the RAL chart have been covered among the various brands.

Although, I am hoping for more Noodlers 'bulletproof' qualities from mainstream manufacturers.

That's how I feel too. All manufacturers are doing variations on a theme. Find a base set of inks you like and ones that can be mixed. Essentially all the colours are at your disposal.

pen_master

"At this point, I feel I have all the inks I need unless something truly amazing comes along."

you are not in this hobby since long I guess

since I picked up fountain pens again several years ago, I'm still exploring only blue inks...and still finding interesting differences

"At this point, I feel I have all the inks I need unless something truly amazing comes along."

you are not in this hobby since long I guess

since I picked up fountain pens again several years ago, I'm still exploring only blue inks...and still finding interesting differences

I wouldn't say that I don't appreciate the differences among inks or colours. I just don't see enough difference between this blue or that blue to make me want that different version. For example, I look at Eclat de Saphir and it is only slightly different than Baystate Blue, maybe by 5-10 percent intensity. I look at Apache Sunset and Mahatma Gandi ... not much difference for me there. Navaja turquoise and Lamy turquoise, slightly different. Diamine Steel Blue and Marine, only slightly different. When you are using inks for writing, those subtle differences blend into the background and I hardly notice them. Again, unless something comes out that can't replicated in some close approximation, I'll stick with what I have.

pen_master

well, I do understand your point of view, sort of utilitarian, but makes sense

I am not sure why but I do love the subtle differences, so for example I have Montblanc Royal blue, Aurora Blue, Visconti Blue, Omas blue, Pelikan royal blue, Delta blue, and just love the fact that they are similar but not identical (and those are just the "royal types of blues"...)

I would much rather buy another bottle of some royal blue from another make I have never tried, rather than buying an orange ink...

It just does not seem to interest me (at the moment...)

Inks that are more resilient. I think that we are finally getting to the super cool colors, and I personally love to do washes, but when you wash the inks, even water resistant / fade resistant inks will fade when watered down.

Take a look at this sheet from the 2012 test. The center section had a small water wash. You can see that all the water washes faded.

As we use inks more artistically, we will want them to be more resilient.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2012/Subjects/slides/02-2012-10-28_02.jpg

\

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2012/Subjects/slides/04-2012-10-14_01.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Color-change ink? (Goes down one color wet and dries to a distinctly different color)

Rainbow sheen?

Heat reactive (Changes color at a specific temperature point; hidden ink possibilities here...)

Light reactive ink (looks different or becomes visible under certain light only)

Works on non-absorbent surfaces (like a Sharpie marker)

Shimmer inks with particulates that stay suspended

Multi-color effects

Special dispensing system that allows for variegated color writing.

YES YES YES

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

fpn_1532263226__img_4499.jpg

Might be difficult considering the 'soak in' effect of fountain pen ink, unless you are referring to a seperate liquid that would be applied to the paper. I agree that it would make life easier. I remember those erasable ballpoints that would leave my page and fingers smudged with blue. I got tired of that quickly.

Edited by pen_master

pen_master

Hello,

Now that I have been involved with fountain pens and ink for a year, I've dabbled with all the flashy aspects of ink. Sheen, shade, shimmer, UV. Do you believe that there is nothing left for us to be wowed by? Perhaps inks that change with temperature like those ridiculous shirts back in the nineties.

The 1890s? ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Having a wider variety of IG inks available these days has left me pretty satisfied....

I cannot think of anything that would actually enhance my ability to write versus being a novelty.

Though I bet many people would love to have saturated inks made that also would not clog, but that is kinda going against physical properties that would be pretty expensive to develop!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I heard in a video a while back that Nathan Tardiff is working on a multicolored ink; something that will show two colors at the same time (and not based on sheen). I don't see how this is possible but Tardiff can work magic.

HA!!... You haven't seen the original Canadian Exclusive Blue Upon The Plains of Abraham... The ink was so unstable that you could see the dyes breaking down.. He re-formulated to a darker GORGEOUS BlueBlack in 2015. I still have the original thou. Below a comparison. Zoom in on the edges of the old one.

fpn_1434949159__comp_abraham.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

HA!!... You haven't seen the original Canadian Exclusive Blue Upon The Plains of Abraham... The ink was so unstable that you could see the dyes breaking down.. He re-formulated to a darker GORGEOUS BlueBlack in 2015. I still have the original thou. Below a comparison. Zoom in on the edges of the old one.

fpn_1434949159__comp_abraham.jpg

The horror... the horror...

I was so upset/ticked/jaded that I didn't even bother to retain the bottle when I threw it right into the garbage.

I want an ink that writes amazingly in very one of my pens. I've not come across that yet. I have several blue inks that sheen red like crazy... now I'm sick of sheen... any way to take the sheen out of them with a drop or two of something?

I want an ink that writes amazingly in very one of my pens. I've not come across that yet. I have several blue inks that sheen red like crazy... now I'm sick of sheen... any way to take the sheen out of them with a drop or two of something?

Of water..

Sheen is usually present in over saturated inks. If you dilute them a bit, the colour will remain the same but the sheen will be gone.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Different pens pass ink down through the feed and off the nib tip in various ways and rates. An ink that will look amazing in one pen, where the liquid properties of the ink match the properties of the feed and nib, may not look as amazing in a different pen.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

At first I thought that was sheen but it looks more like pink feathering. Too bad the ink wasn't stable.