Is There Anything New Left For Inks?

pen_master

Hello,

Now that I have been involved with fountain pens and ink for a year, I've dabbled with all the flashy aspects of ink. Sheen, shade, shimmer, UV. Do you believe that there is nothing left for us to be wowed by? Perhaps inks that change with temperature like those ridiculous shirts back in the nineties. :) Or, tri-colour sheening perhaps. At this point, I feel I have all the inks I need unless something truly amazing comes along.

pen_master

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen_master

• Cyber6

• Mulrich

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe Diamine is in final testing stages before bringing their new range of inks to shelves across the world. Initially only available in blue black and red they have built in multilingual spellchecker.

I heard in a video a while back that Nathan Tardiff is working on a multicolored ink; something that will show two colors at the same time (and not based on sheen). I don't see how this is possible but Tardiff can work magic.

Except for even fancier bottles at obscene prices, nothing new that I can think of. Just how many shades of puce do we really need?(yeah, I'll admit I'm a sucker for a cool bottle, too.)

Hmm - how about a bottle of ink with a USB port so your computer can tell you how much ink is left in the bottle? If they can have a refrigerator that tells you what's inside with two knocks, why not the same with ink. After all, actually looking inside the bottle is a lot of work, even if it is clear glass.

There are a number of areas where inks can be improved, and are being improved.

• Better pigmented inks.
    • Platinum pigmented inks are ok, but a bit thin.
    • Dr Ph Martin's Ocean inks were thicker, but needed pens with wide ink channels and perfectly sealing caps.
    • The new Barrister inks from Blackstone are just about perfect, rich colour, but well-behaved in pens and on papers.
  • Permanent Blue inks with better colours
    • All the beautiful blue inks I know of are not permanent (Monteverde Horizon Blue, Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue, R. Oster Bondi Blue)
    • All the permanent blue inks I know of are perfectly ok, but none are knee-tremblingly beautiful (Platinum Pigment Blue, Pilot Blue, Noodler's Revolution Blue)
      I challenge the ink makers to come up with a synthetic Lapis Lazuli nano-pigment blue.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I heard in a video a while back that Nathan Tardiff is working on a multicolored ink; something that will show two colors at the same time (and not based on sheen). I don't see how this is possible but Tardiff can work magic.

I can believe it. Got a sample of House Divided from a new batch, and it looks crazy on my Col-o-Ring swatch: small specs of pure pale blue studded all over on the particularly saturated swab area. The base color is a dirty grayed mauve-pink.

Papier Plume Pecan has a separating blue-green component, visible in chromatography. If you write with a juicy pen on less absorbent paper, the base gray-brown line has an outline of green. If that outline can be made even more prominent, it would be so interesting.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Seriously: inks that don't change colour in pens that evaporate easily.

Non seriously: inks that get slurped back into the pen when you make a mistake.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Non seriously: inks that get slurped back into the pen when you make a mistake.

+1

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

i suspect that the future for coloured water will be the same as has been seen for decades for scented water: personal branding by someone of whom you may have heard if you are interested in their sort of thing. For example, why should writers wait until they are dead so someone else can profit?

X

I remember a Three Stooges short (Tassels In The Air) where Moe had this hapless guy trying to mix a batch of spotted paint. Nathan....are you listening?

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Is it possible to get saturated light-coloured inks?

There are lots of saturated light blues and turquoises, yellows, oranges, etc.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

How about layered ink ?

When applied with wet nib, a part of the pigment will be settling down, and part of the rest form like semi transparent colour over it.

Like painting a colour, then covering it with lacquer. Or even looking like a glow behind coloured glass.

Or is it already like shimmering ink ?

Edited by rluka

Montblanc's new line of gemstone inks (Elixir Colorist) is just (supposed to be) that, isn't it?

I should have known.

However MB refers to "precious ink recipies" and not to pigments. These are dye based.

Add lightness and simplicate.

As long as there continue to be fountain pen nuts, there will continue to be more and better inks! (that we just have to have!)

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I don't know if it's possible, but I could see some sort of sheen magic that will create a metallic "foil" ink that's basically like writing with Organics Studio Nitrogen or Walden, but is available in a variety of colors other than red. Since the sheen takes over the original color of the ink, the base colors don't really matter, so maybe that can eventually be pushed to create a "holographic" rainbow foil ink!

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love