M605 Dark Blue

Driften

I got my latest Pelikan yesterday which brings my flock up to eight pens. This is my first m60x sized pen. My m605 Dark Blue is a two chick model which should put it as 2003 production. The only Pelikan I have that is older is a 50's vintage m400. This is my third blue bird and I thought I would give some comparison pictures with the m120 Iconic Blue and m805 Blue striped.

It's a little darker then the Iconic Blue and I like the color. I am happy the ink window is more like the m120 then it is the m215 rings model I have. It's very easy to see ink levels. It's darker color and material looks more like a luxury pen then the m120. The M nib writes with a nice 0.55mm M line. For some reason the three gold nib modern Pelikans I have (M101N, M805, m605) all write like M's not B's. All of my steel nib Pelikan's write to normal widths as well but that is more expected.

The M605 is not much thicker or longer then the m120/m2xx models but it looks and feels bigger. The section measured 9.9-10.6mm and the smaller pens were 9.2-10.2. The body is only 0.5mm wider and barrel is only 1mm longer. It's much longer posted 151mm vs 146mm. Visually it's a bigger pen and just looks better to me. For my medium sized hands I can use any of the sizes fine. Maybe not the m1000. I don't care for the size and weight of my Montblanc 149 so I would think the m1000 would also not be my favorite. The m605 does not have the balance and feel of the larger m805 that I love, but it's more fitting to a shirt pocket then the m805.

I prefer the silver finish of the "5" models. Maybe I should pick up a m605 white transparent next for the flock. I could see getting the m600 white turquoise the gold fittings look really nice in that combination, but I have too many pens I only want to put blue or turquoise ink and I could not see putting anything else in that model. Where the white transparent one would show off any ink color nicely.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/BluePelikans-1.png

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/BluePelikans-2.png

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/BluePelikans-3.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• Bo Bo Olson

• texasniteowl

• bbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Driften, very nice comparison and congratulations on your Dark Blue. Your analysis was the reason I got the Iconic Blue, and I'm very glad I did - thank you! I understand why you prefer the silver finish with blue, but I really like the gold with Iconic Blue.

Have you tried writing with an M1000 nib? If not, can I suggest you try it - it's a very different feel from the M400, 600 and 800s (as I'm sure you know!) and very, very nice.

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Have you tried writing with an M1000 nib? If not, can I suggest you try it - it's a very different feel from the M400, 600 and 800s (as I'm sure you know!) and very, very nice.

I am sure I would like the m1000 nib, just not sure I would like the size and weight of the pen. For me it seems like the m800/Montblanc 146 is the biggest I like to write with. My Montblanc 149 sometimes makes my hands shake. There are no good pen dealers locally for me to try a m1000, so I have been reluctant to buy one online.

Are you able to get to a Pelikan Hub in September? Someone may well have one there you could try.

Without going and picking them up, my remembered impression is that the M1000 is less of a beast than the 149.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Great suggestion. I should go to the hub this year. I missed out going last year when it was in town.

Ooh, have I just done a return enable?

Do go if you can, the ones I've been to have been great fun with serious temptation!

That M605 is a great pen, congrats. I have a soft spot for the blue birds with silver colored trim. Some of my favorites.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

very nice pen Driften, not that common, I'm missing this one!

being your first M600 I hope you like the size, I think it's really a best size for me.

Also it is very different from the 800, but as you noticed it's a handy pen to carry, right size, light weight, it can quickly become a sofisticated workhorse pen.

Mine is a Galleria Kaufhaus model, when Pelikan took them back, because they were made for export and didn't sell well; so sold them to that German department store.

This was back when E-50 was still :yikes: and I'd only bought one pen for more....E-70 for a BCHR, my first. ESo591S.jpg

I being retired, go to bed late and get up late. My wife is an early bird. As I stumbled out of bed, my wife showed me an advertisement. A Pelikan 600 for only E-99. Three minutes later I was standing at the door ready to go. Some 45 minutes later my wife was ready. :rolleyes:

The 605 is a medium-large pen, with nice girth and very good balance posted. I find it a light and nimble pen.

It had a very nice butter smooth semi-nail M nib, that I swapped in on a BB in sooner or later in it was being a semi-nail I'd make it a stub or CI, and didn't know what width. Years floated by, before I finally had it stubbed to a butter smooth 1.0 by Fountainble.

I do have a 400 sized, regular flex 18K 'pre-97 600 I just picked up at a live auction. It was for it's time a snazzy pen.....now both the 200&400 are now just as snazzy as it was.

If one thinks a 200/400 is too small, the 'post-98 600 should be considered if you like a medium -large P-51 or pens of that size. It is a pen one can write with all day.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I got my latest Pelikan yesterday which brings my flock up to eight pens. This is my first m60x sized pen. My m605 Dark Blue is a two chick model which should put it as 2003 production. The only Pelikan I have that is older is a 50's vintage m400. This is my third blue bird and I thought I would give some comparison pictures with the m120 Iconic Blue and m805 Blue striped.http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/BluePelikans-1.png

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/BluePelikans-2.png

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/BluePelikans-3.png

How lovely! I, too, generally prefer silver appointments to gold-- with Blue trumping all. :-)

[While gold isn't my first choice, to my eyes all the elements of the new M120 work together to perfection. I love mine....]

Thank you especially for the comparison pictures. There's a lot to see, and learn, and appreciate in the juxtapositions.

Congratulations!

~ S.

I bought my blue M605 from Mike Walker at our last Dallas Pen Show breakfast. The icing on the cake is its beautiful factory OBB nib.

I always enjoy writing with M6xx-size pens. They just feel comfortable to me, even though I have pretty big hands. I have three beautiful M620s (Athens, Grand Place, and Piazza Navona) and several Richard Binder-customized nibs.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That is a beautiful Pelikan, and I like the silver color ornaments more than the gold ones, though both are very high quality, and also look like it. It's a shame they don't make the m1xx5 models standard line, and they se for impressive prices when the limited editions reach the market :(

How lovely! I, too, generally prefer silver appointments to gold-- with Blue trumping all. :-)

[While gold isn't my first choice, to my eyes all the elements of the new M120 work together to perfection. I love mine....]

Thank you especially for the comparison pictures. There's a lot to see, and learn, and appreciate in the juxtapositions.

Congratulations!

~ S.

I do like my m120 Iconic blue and the gold trim does look nice on it. Also think the m600 white turquoise looks nice with gold, but in general I prefer silver especially with blue. Blue is my favorite color, but in my fountain pens I try and balance things out. That said 26% of my fp's are blue which is second only to the number of black pens I have (36%). I have too many black pens, but many of those are Montblanc where I really did not have a choice...

That is a beautiful Pelikan, and I like the silver color ornaments more than the gold ones, though both are very high quality, and also look like it. It's a shame they don't make the m1xx5 models standard line, and they se for impressive prices when the limited editions reach the market :(

I agree they should offer the m1005 and 605 in standard editions.

I bought my blue M605 from Mike Walker at our last Dallas Pen Show breakfast. The icing on the cake is its beautiful factory OBB nib.

I always enjoy writing with M6xx-size pens. They just feel comfortable to me, even though I have pretty big hands. I have three beautiful M620s (Athens, Grand Place, and Piazza Navona) and several Richard Binder-customized nibs.

You have a nice collection of m6xx's. I don't think this is the last of the m6xx size I will have in my collection. I do expect I will stop with the m2xx/m400 size. I have two m200's, m215, 400, m120, and m101n. So six pens of the smaller size and only one m600 and one m800 size Pelikan. I expect my next Pelikan will be another m6xx.

The 605 is a medium-large pen, with nice girth and very good balance posted. I find it a light and nimble pen.

It had a very nice butter smooth semi-nail M nib, that I swapped in on a BB in sooner or later in it was being a semi-nail I'd make it a stub or CI, and didn't know what width. Years floated by, before I finally had it stubbed to a butter smooth 1.0 by Fountainble.

My m605 is also a semi-nail but I don't mind that. I happen to like a wide range of flexibility and you are totally right that the harder nibs make great CI's. I think if the nib was B instead of M it would be good to have reground. Actually this 2 chick nib is a little stub like, but on an M it's hard to see. It is 0.55mm on vertical lines and 0.3mm on horizontal lines. To really notice good line changes I need B or BB's.

My m605 is also a semi-nail but I don't mind that. I happen to like a wide range of flexibility and you are totally right that the harder nibs make great CI's. I think if the nib was B instead of M it would be good to have reground. Actually this 2 chick nib is a little stub like, but on an M it's hard to see. It is 0.55mm on vertical lines and 0.3mm on horizontal lines. To really notice good line changes I need B or BB's.

Even though the sub m1k nibs tend no be very nail like, i like how they write, smooth and wet and the tipping is kinda globular, which feels like it has less blind spot compared to other nail like gold nibs I have. If I have a sheen ink that I like, I don't hesitate to fill it to my m805, even though it's a fine nib, it shows sheen quite well

I have the same blue 605, I have buy it here, on FPN, to a fine member, ralfstc. The pen is described in this page, and it remains my EDC pen. I LOVE it !!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/150485-pelikan-m605/

Edited by yoplaboum

Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 146 & 149, Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G and Pluminix...

PR Electric DC Blue, Herbin 1670 inks, Waterman Havana and purple, Montblanc Petrol Blue ...

Even though the sub m1k nibs tend no be very nail like, i like how they write, smooth and wet and the tipping is kinda globular, which feels like it has less blind spot compared to other nail like gold nibs I have. If I have a sheen ink that I like, I don't hesitate to fill it to my m805, even though it's a fine nib, it shows sheen quite well

There is less tipping on the 2 chick nibs and many prefer them to the current ones with lots of tipping. I have not met a Pelikan nib I have not liked ;)

I have the same blue 605, I have buy it here, on FPN, to a fine member, ralfstc. The pen is described in this page, and it remains my EDC pen. I LOVE it !!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/150485-pelikan-m605/

That was a great buy. Looks like a great EDC to me, but I am biased with the experience with mine so far.