• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• truthpil

• penzel_washinkton

• Mongoosey

Forgive my ignorance! My fantasies about kitchen moulding see-through 51-barrels came because I weren't aware of see-through pens with hooded nibs already existing. Which were they? I'm obviously "just dipped", and not yet very knowledgeable.

Wing Sung 618 comes to my mind.

Wing Sung 618 comes to my mind.

In a piston filler I always look for the option of adjusting the air volume in the barrel as ink level drops, to prevent burping tendencies. I had a 618 in my shopping cart on eBay for quite a while, until I got aware that the piston screw stays tight to the barrel only with the piston in the upper position. It bothers me significantly having a,however small, gap between barrel and knob during writing.

Edited by Lester Brooke

In a piston filler I always look for the option of adjusting the air volume in the barrel as ink level drops, to prevent burping tendencies. I had a 618 in my shopping cart on eBay for quite a while, until I got aware that the piston screw stays tight to the barrel only with the piston in the upper position. It bothers me significantly having a,however small, gap between barrel and knob during writing.

I'm not sure what you mean. The piston in 618 has a locking mechanism. In order to twist the piston you pull the piston knob a bit up to unlock it, an after you're done you push the knob back down. There's no gap during writing.

Quite opposite actually, unlike traditional piston fillers, in 618 you can manipulate the piston's position (eg. to prime the feed) without ever having a gap, because you can lock the piston knob regardless of the piston position.

Edited by WJM

I'm not sure what you mean. The piston in 618 has a locking mechanism. In order to twist the piston you pull the piston knob a bit up to unlock it, an after you're done you push the knob back down. There's no gap during writing.

I´ll put the 618 right back in the cart! Thanks so much for enlightening me!

Stopped by here as well as ebay as I needed LR44 batteries.

Big Mistake, (Jinhao 51A, Hero 329 and WingSung 233).

Then I remembered about the batteries.............. Ho-hum. So easy to get distracted.

Well thanks "sampb" i have 2 Jinhao 51A on the way .

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Wow! And only $3.50, even for the wood ones! Just ordered three, both woods and the transparent green. Thanks for the heads up, Mech!

Nice to have another "51" homage our there. It looks like the nib is identical to that of the 911.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Nice to have another "51" homage our there. It looks like the nib is identical to that of the 911.

My thoughts exactly!

I like the 911, it's a nice thin pen that writes well and doesn't dry out that easily.

Normally I prefer stub nibs, so I have no need for more than one fine pen,

but now and then you don't have the space to write in a wide swirl and there a fine nib is helpful.

I really don't NEED another fine pen, but I feel temptation nagging on me ..... :rolleyes:

I bought one of each; wooden barrel with a hooded nib, and a transparent plastic in green with an open nib. At $3.50 each I just couldn't say no.

Bought one in a standard black for my experiment EDC pen, let's see how it performs once it arrives...

I am tempted, just order a couple, can't wait to hack them open to see if something new or something old inside

OK, mine got delivered this noon, will post some pic later .. first impression is mixed .. on on hand , as I've suspected this is off shoot of the recent Hero 616 plus, but clearly Jinhao had their own idea, some good, some not so good. I'll detail that later after I truly hack it open and do some detail check on the working parts. But some observed ones

• the wooden barrel variant use a metal coupler with a thin brass screw insert on the wood. I am kind of skeptical about its longevity; the wood part is really cutting real it thin .. and the finish of the wood is .. well .. may I say rough or rather less finished / polished, a waxing / oiling is asked for. Wooden barrel variant both had black hood .. that's OK with me.
  • despite directly inheriting all the basic Hero 616 plus engineering, Jinhao choose to go about their own molding and that's for coupler, hood, and barrel all
  • The Orange, Red , and Smoke demonstrator all exhibit nice color and OK, somewhat decent transparency. Material could be a bit better but I will not be complaining after the price asked
  • The burgundy is a more lively brighter one than the usual Hero / Wing Sung which is true dark burgundy wine red
  • the cap got a totally different setup than Hero / Wing Sung and had its finale / clip / inner cap fixed from the inside with a Philip screw .. nightmare about rusting seems looming and I would probably go about disassembling them and re assemble with some rust proofing .. and the inner cap is kind of slightly loose inside the cap. actually not a bad idea which do not use snap fir instead relying on ;push / slip fit this allow some natural fitting of the hood to the inner cap when capping. so I guess I will have to ea my own word after facts. disassemble one and found out that the inner cap is actually permanently machine push fit into the cap itself and is actually sitting very tight , what I see as some wobbling is illusion bring on by the 4 re-enforcement rib which also act as retaining rib on the inner cap engaging the cap itself. will post nice and secure
Edited by Mech-for-i

fpn_1531469839__jh51a-od.jpg

This is the orange Demo .. shown some of the features and some observation I got after checking it against the others

• despite taking the design , engineering from the Hero 616 Plus, parts ( except the nib ) are not interchangeable, cap however will work both way
  • The 51A barrel , quite clearly trying not to detract with internal re-enforcement rib ( for the demo purpose ) use old molding but do not have a vent hole at the end so ED conversion is possible ( one of mine done with an O ring and I left it in a cup nib down to see how it will fare and if any seeping through )
  • the pen is overall a shade ( about 2.5 mm ) longer than the 616, but about a shade ( roughly 0.2/0.25 mm ) slimmer overall ( both barrel, mid section, and hood )
  • The barrel is a noticeably thicker molding than 616, or 616 plus .. I suspect this is a necessity for the demonstrator
  • the wooden barrel variant is a totally different construction and all parts do not interchange with the plastic variant ( except the nib and cap )
  • there is no clutch in the cap so while still a slip on, all the sealing is down to the inner cap and if you the user push enough into it , that stated the hood would likely survive better without the steel cutting on it
  • like contemporary hooded nib that use similar single piece feed / collector in a sealed fashion, Jinhao choose to cut the hood back, the top endof the hood is now a rounded curve instead of the pointy bird bead, and the opening is further back than old 616 exposing quite a fair bit more of the feed and nib, a necessity bring about now that one need to service the nib basically by pulling it off from the front, the now partially exposed nib allow one to hold onto it to get it off
Edited by Mech-for-i