Grey Pearl Striated Color Variations?

Estragon

muqV7R7.jpg

24lmoD2.jpg

Above are two OS Balances from my collection, both in the Grey Pearl/white trim configuration. The grey slabs on the top pen are darker and the ink-view window in the section has ambered considerably. The grey slabs on the bottom pen are lighter and the ink-view window is light yellow. In addition to grey and black, the bottom pen has chatoyant gold striations running through the celluloid on all parts of the pen, from the bottom of the barrel to the top of the cap.

The effect is quite attractive in person, resembling something closer to abalone. In fact, I might actually prefer it to the plainer grey and black!

Now, assuming that Sheaffer did not manufacture the Balance in two different Grey Pearl striated colors, how does one account for the color of the bottom pen? All examples of discolored Grey Pearl I've seen have exhibited a greenish hue or are simply darkened. Yet the lighter striations on this pen are bright grey. Moreover, I've come to expect a moderately discolored Balance to have an ambered ink-view window and, oftentimes, a commensurably yellowed White Dot. Yet the pen in question exhibits neither. Finally, the random distribution of the golden striations is like the grey and black in being evenly interspersed throughout as opposed to being limited to one side (as is typical when exposure to light is involved) or to some part of it (as when ossification of the sac is the culprit).

Can anyone offer any clues?

Edited by Estragon

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stylo_dOr

• Garageboy

• Estragon

• europen

Some batches were lighter, some were darker, the ambering is definitely from aging artifacts

• 4 weeks later...

Yes -- they are both Balances, but the larger one seems to have been differently dyed celluloid (volatile material anyway) and the pearl striation has ambered. They are certainly both beautiful!

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

I agree with europen. @Estragon, you didn't mention in your post whether both pens were once the same color long ago, so I'm assuming that you obtained both pens in their current colors, less the changes to the smaller pen which you mentioned. Very nice pens!

Edited by Stylo_dOr

I just read on the Visconti website that celluloid is particularly vulnerable to light exposure -- that excessive light exposure causes celluloid to dry out and become fragile. I don't know whether the discoloration of the pearl striations of your larger pen could be associated with the conditions under which that pen was stored and whether it was exposed to excessive light or heat over time. From what I now understand, celluloid is best stored in a cool and dark environment -- both to avoid possible discoloration and fragility.

Edited by Stylo_dOr