Atelier Musubi Pen Cases

I have a shamefully large collection of pen cases, ranging from very inexpensive Japanese pencil cases to MontBlanc, Pelikan and Visconti leather cases. I have had my favorites, but no pen case has stimulated real aesthetic admiration like the Atelier Musubi cases that recently appeared on the market. I had seen their handsome journals at the San Francisco Pen Show, but I am not a journal-keeper. I do travel with pens in cases though and am always looking for a better solution. The ideal case will protect my pens but also be compact and light in weight. The Musubi cases are all of those and covered with beautiful Japanese fabrics to boot.

The cases come in two sizes. I got both. They each hold two pens of appropriate length. I have fit a variety of pens in these cases. My principal objective in this review is to illustrate which case is most suitable for which pens. Let's see some photos.

Side-by-side comparison of the two sizes

The smaller case with pens it will hold.

The smaller case will hold an OMAS Ogiva and a Pelikan M800 and snap shut without stress, but these pens are at the limit of the case's capacity because of their length.

An Aurora Optima and Pelikan M600 fit in the smaller case with room to spare.

The larger case with some of the over-size pens it will hold very comfortably.

The larger case with a Nakaya Naka-ai and a custom Shawn Newton pen.

At the time I purchased these cases, they were available in four colors. All were in this traditional pattern. I would love to see the cases in some of the other fabrics Atelier Musubi uses for their journals.

I hope you find this information useful.

Atelier Musubi's web site and store are at: http://www.musu.bi/

I have no affiliation with the company other than a happy customer.

Happy writing!

David

Edited by dms525

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• _finenib

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing these beautiful cases & it was a pleasure to read the mission statement behind the company.

Enjoy your cases & I suspect there will be more to follow!

Thanks for sharing these beautiful cases & it was a pleasure to read the mission statement behind the company.

Enjoy your cases & I suspect there will be more to follow!

You are probably correct about "more to follow." I have some lucky future gift recipients in mind. :)

And their "story" does reveal an added reason to send them my pen case money. It's worth posting for others to read.

Built upon the twin pillars of obsessive craftsmanship and an enduring social mission, Musubi is an atelier devoted to the careful, ethical creation of small goods. Our twin operations in Singapore and Indonesia exemplify our philosophy of direct impact: in Singapore, our bookmaking atelier employs only persons with physical and intellectual disabilities, providing them the employment stability and opportunities they previously lacked. In Indonesia, we train women from abusive family backgrounds in the same high-tech methods used to make our pen cases, providing them the skillset necessary to gain financial independence and escape their unfavourable circumstances. The end result: every Musubi creation directly and measurably benefits the least fortunate amongst us. Come along with us as we tell a story with meaning.

David

I recently bought 2 of their journals, and I will purchase a pen case in the near future.

All for a worthy cause!!

Liston

You should have not shown these to me David.

I have the same affliction. Way too many cases of all types and sizes, but these really struck a chord.

I may have to give in.

I blame you.

the Danitrio Fellowship

You should have not shown these to me David.

I have the same affliction. Way too many cases of all types and sizes, but these really struck a chord.

I may have to give in.

I blame you.

You are entirely welcome!

David

• 1 month later...

These are lovely and I love that they employ the less fortunate and give them an opportunity for independence. I am looking for a less bulky case than my Pelikan leather one and a smaller one than my Nock Sinclair. These might just do the trick. Will head over to their site and check them out. Thank you for sharing.

• 1 month later...

what kind of fabric, natural or synthetic, is it? I have a pen case made from men´s suiting wool material lined with 24k gold threads.

I believe the fabric is cotton, but do not know for sure. One of the company's goals is to support traditional, artisanal fabric makers, so I conclude the fabric is natural.

Hello! Daryl here - I run Musubi. I was alerted by a fellow poster to the existence of this thread. Thanks very much for your kind review, David, and I'm glad you are enjoying your pen cases.

The fabric used in the cases is 100% cotton from a wonderful mid-size mill in Osaka. As a general rule we avoid synthetics as far as possible in any of the fabrics we make or source - I believe the max we've gone is 1% synthetic in some of the cashmere/wool blends purely to give the fabric enough strength to withstand being bound into book form.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions folks might have about our process and our social mission.

Hello! Daryl here - I run Musubi. I was alerted by a fellow poster to the existence of this thread. Thanks very much for your kind review, David, and I'm glad you are enjoying your pen cases.

The fabric used in the cases is 100% cotton from a wonderful mid-size mill in Osaka. As a general rule we avoid synthetics as far as possible in any of the fabrics we make or source - I believe the max we've gone is 1% synthetic in some of the cashmere/wool blends purely to give the fabric enough strength to withstand being bound into book form.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions folks might have about our process and our social mission.

Hello, Daryl.

Thank you for joining this thread and making yourself available for questions.

I wonder if you would be willing to post some photos of the newer fabrics you showed in San Francisco. (If they are still not ready for exposure, please pardon the suggestion.)

David

Daryl,

Your journals and cases are indeed beautiful. Thank you for joining us in discussions at FPN.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Daryl,

Your journals and cases are indeed beautiful. Thank you for joining us in discussions at FPN.

Thanks. I've been a long-time lurker and hobbyist, but never quite expected that it would take me to the place I am today. Life's unexpected like that.

Daryl has posted an announcement of Atelier Musubi's new venture on Instagram. Here is a link: https://www.instagram.com/ateliermusubi/

He told me about this at the San Francisco Pen Show and was really excited about this new phase of his mission.

David

Yes! We're finally ready to talk about these new fabrics that you mentioned earlier in the thread.

The idea is that we can use Musubi as a platform to help indigenous and threatened communities around the globe access a much, much wider market than they previously could. Sourcing our materials from the artisans within these communities and paying them a correspondingly fair amount doesn't just empower them and their work while eschewing a donation- or handout-based model. It also lets us call attention to all these wonderful cultures and traditions from all around the world that are at risk of falling into oblivion.

Obviously this is a huge step forward for us, but we're just getting started. I can't wait to show all of you what we have in store for 2019 and beyond.

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2018 at 9:39 PM, dms525 said:

I have a shamefully large collection of pen cases, ranging from very inexpensive Japanese pencil cases to MontBlanc, Pelikan and Visconti leather cases. I have had my favorites, but no pen case has stimulated real aesthetic admiration like the Atelier Musubi cases that recently appeared on the market. I had seen their handsome journals at the San Francisco Pen Show, but I am not a journal-keeper. I do travel with pens in cases though and am always looking for a better solution. The ideal case will protect my pens but also be compact and light in weight. The Musubi cases are all of those and covered with beautiful Japanese fabrics to boot.

The cases come in two sizes. I got both. They each hold two pens of appropriate length. I have fit a variety of pens in these cases. My principal objective in this review is to illustrate which case is most suitable for which pens. Let's see some photos.

Side-by-side comparison of the two sizes

The smaller case with pens it will hold.

The smaller case will hold an OMAS Ogiva and a Pelikan M800 and snap shut without stress, but these pens are at the limit of the case's capacity because of their length.

An Aurora Optima and Pelikan M600 fit in the smaller case with room to spare.

The larger case with some of the over-size pens it will hold very comfortably.

The larger case with a Nakaya Naka-ai and a custom Shawn Newton pen.

At the time I purchased these cases, they were available in four colors. All were in this traditional pattern. I would love to see the cases in some of the other fabrics Atelier Musubi uses for their journals.

I hope you find this information useful.

Atelier Musubi's web site and store are at: http://www.musu.bi/

I have no affiliation with the company other than a happy customer.

Happy writing!

David

Hey David, i'm considering the larger musubi case, but can you post the pictures again? I don't see them even from my desktop. 

3 hours ago, _finenib said:

Hey David, i'm considering the larger musubi case, but can you post the pictures again? I don't see them even from my desktop. 

https://www.musu.bi/shop/pen-cases/two-pen-regular-140-mm

Add lightness and simplicate.

3 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

https://www.musu.bi/shop/pen-cases/two-pen-regular-140-mm

Yeah i saw the main site before, I wanted to see the pics david posted because he showed what pens fit there but I dont see them on his post

2 hours ago, _finenib said:

Yeah i saw the main site before, I wanted to see the pics david posted because he showed what pens fit there but I dont see them on his post

From the web site:

The regular case fits pens of up to 140 mm (+2 mm tolerance), while the oversize case fits pens of up to 150 mm (+2 mm tolerance), including the Montblanc 149 and the Pelikan M1000.

Examples of pens that have been tested to fit the regular case:
Lamy 2000

Some pens fit the length requirement but have an oversize cap; for instance, the TWSBI Eco. The oversize case is recommended instead"

Add lightness and simplicate.

I bought one of the cases from a seller on fpn that wanted a different color. 

I'm so glad I did; one of my favorite cases and I have 50 or more. The one downside is the removable divider. It has a tendency to not stay put.

Other than that,  a great pen case.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I had to delete the photos because I had exceeded my storage limit. The text of the OP should give enough information about which size cases work with which pens. If anyone really needs the photos, I can re-upload them.

David